Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord grand

Postby HwyStar » 29 Sep 2019, 15:28

I will have a look at that Mr. G. That’s a good point and I did not think to look at it.

If I did not put this hack into place I would not be able to use the pedal as-was. I had to push down on the pedal, kind of hard, to get the switch to even engage. My MP11 was a “scounch” better, maybe by a millimeter higher. But, I always felt the MP11 pedal you had to push to hard too. Most acoustic pianos, the dampers engage at about a third of the throw downwards and these digital pedals are wrong. My opinion, of course.

It would be really nice if they gave us an adjustment option on these pedals.
Last edited by HwyStar on 29 Sep 2019, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D
HwyStar

Sponsor

Postby GuiliClayder » 03 Oct 2019, 10:13

nordolino wrote:Yesterday I try the Nord Grand in a shop. I was surprised how loud the keybed is. The run of the keys is shorter and and much much louder in comparison with the Nord piano 4. For playing live it is not a big deal, but it could be very problematic for practising at home. I wonder why they didn't put same material under the mechanism to soften the stop of the keys.

I found the Piano 4 to have a noisy keybed, but that's a Fatar action and I'd rather stay away from Fatar actions.
The Grand has a Kawai keybed, the same found in the Kawai MP7SE. I don't find this keybed to be particularly noisy, and certainly a lot quieter than the one in the Piano 4. I understand Nord has customized the action so maybe that's why it's noisier on the Grand, who knows.
It's still a plastic keybed, though. I had considered the Nord Grand (only reason why I joined this forum) but ultimately went for the Kawai MP11SE ; the Grand Feel action and the RM3 Grand action in the VPC1 are the quietest around, but they're made of wood, not plastic.
Kawai has the best keybeds in the business, even the RHC action in the entry-level ES110 feels wonderful to play.

Still, strange that you find the keybed on the Nord Grand noisier than the Fatar one on the Piano 4. That shouldn't be the case...
Last edited by GuiliClayder on 03 Oct 2019, 16:04, edited 6 times in total.
Kawai CA58
Kawai ES110
GuiliClayder

Postby HwyStar » 04 Oct 2019, 11:55

Watch on youtube.com
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D

The author HwyStar was thanked by:
musicaldudeist
HwyStar

Postby Rychubil » 04 Oct 2019, 20:48

Watch on youtube.com

P.S. HwyStar - Congratulations your Nord Grand :)
Last edited by Rychubil on 04 Oct 2019, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Kawai VPC1 | Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR80i

The author Rychubil was thanked by:
HwyStar
Rychubil

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby drxcm » 05 Oct 2019, 10:30

No dust cover in my box - anyone else?
drxcm

Postby HwyStar » 05 Oct 2019, 14:02

No dust cover here. I will double check my box. That may be something that is easy to not see in the shipping materials.
HwyStar

Postby musicaldudeist » 05 Oct 2019, 16:16

I think the dust cover that came in the box of some unboxing videos was a promo item from some European distributor(s). No cover in my box, but I got a Nord rug as a promotional item. Other folks got a 20 oz Yeti Rambler with the Nord logo.
Nord Grand, Nord Wave 2, Yamaha YDP-184, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Studio Logic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX, Teenage Engineering OP-1, and a smattering of Ukuleles.
musicaldudeist

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby drxcm » 11 Oct 2019, 06:36

I have a key on mine which is very noisy on release. Every other key sounds the same. Kind of a clickity click sound on release, bright and loud.
I have contacted my dealer for a response. Bit of a let down, but otherwise everything is fine.
Any knowledgeable people know whether this is an easy mechanical fix vs. a keybed replacement ?

[anchor= ]
Watch on youtube.com
[/anchor]
Last edited by drxcm on 11 Oct 2019, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
drxcm

Postby Alev66 » 29 Oct 2019, 12:46

drxcm wrote:I have a key on mine which is very noisy on release. Every other key sounds the same. Kind of a clickity click sound on release, bright and loud.
I have contacted my dealer for a response. Bit of a let down, but otherwise everything is fine.
Any knowledgeable people know whether this is an easy mechanical fix vs. a keybed replacement ?

Yes, that is the sound I know of my old Kawai with the RH2 keys, buyers beware!

My reason not to buy the Nord Grand...the Kawai keybed does not work without those noises for a long time...
Alev66

Postby musicaldudeist » 06 Nov 2019, 01:29

Finally got my Nord Wood Stand! Looks great! Got a small ding while in transit, but it's not easily visible while playing.Image
Nord Grand, Nord Wave 2, Yamaha YDP-184, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Studio Logic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX, Teenage Engineering OP-1, and a smattering of Ukuleles.
musicaldudeist

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum