Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: My first experience... Not good.

Postby nordkeys » 08 Oct 2019, 15:40

Well, I have a little different take here. The strength of the Grand is playablily. The action feels great. And it sounds great. When I first got mine I sat down and played for 2 hours - I can't remember the last time I did this. In fact, I didn't even notice any key noise until this thread. Having said that, yes, the keys do bottom out. So do other keyboards. If you have aftertouch, the noise may be less but the playing experience is difference. I have a Kurzweil Forte in addition to the Grand and it is every bit as noisy as the Grand. But it is not as much fun to play, and is more fatiguing. Bottom line from me, any perceived excessive noise is not an issue for me. In a gig situation you will never hear it. With headphones, it just doesn't bother me. One other thing, while I didn't listen for noise when I tried out the MP7SE and MP11SE, I did find that I prefer the Grand action - the MPs didn't seem as responsive. I'm surprised that nordolino found that the Nord is 100% louder than the Kawai action. 100 per cent is a night and day difference. Same comment about his NP4. It uses a TP series from Fatar and is just as loud as my Forte that has a TP40L. For the most part, I wouldn't let this keybed noise dissuade anyone from a Grand. Bottom line, looking at the big picture is probably a good idea.
nordkeys

Sponsor

Postby HwyStar » 08 Oct 2019, 16:25

I agree with everything you said Nordkeys.

In the near future, I may consider popping the top of my NG and have a look at the cushions that the keys are hitting. I looked at the Kawai Actions video that Kawai US posted on YT and it appears that the keys may land on a "tall'ish" rubber stopper? It's hard to tell based upon the video quality. I may consider enhancing mine with some felt. I have access to my piano tech that loves to tinker. Every piano tech does! He may be willing to come up with a full-proof solution. I don't find anything at all wrong with the action, but I would prefer that when the keys bottomed out it was just a tad bit softer. I played my Steinway for the "feeling" of bottoming out and the whole mechanism and felt, that is very abundant, does make acoustics a little bit less jarring to the tips of my fingers. It may be a posture/height adjustment for me too, but I sometimes do feel the bottom out effect in my left pinky in the bone. My fingers are fairly well messed up throwing Strats around.

Kawai RH-III action is in this video:
Watch on youtube.com
Last edited by HwyStar on 08 Oct 2019, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D
HwyStar

Postby Claude Viool » 08 Oct 2019, 21:33

The noise from my Nord Piano 3 keybed has two causes: the key hitting the bottom and the key bouncing up after letting it go.
The key hitting the bottom is no real problem because that coincides with the attack sound from the piano sample.
The noise from the key bouncing up is much more annoying because the piano sample is then either dampened or at least dying out.

So my question: How is the Nord Grand doing in this respect? Is the sound of the keys bouncing up an issue? Is it better in that respect that a fatar based nord?

The author Claude Viool was thanked by:
jdwosh
Claude Viool

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 4

Postby HwyStar » 09 Oct 2019, 00:29

With headphones plugged into my keyboard (and not on my head) and barely any sound coming from them, the key bouncing sounds are really no different than other keyboards. I am using headphones only for my playing. I do like RN-III keys that the NG has.

I did hook up my Yamaha HS8 speakers today, ...and, not so much. Thirty seconds later I turned the speakers off. My Sennheiser HD650's and the NG samples are un-beatable. Honestly, I have never heard a keyboard running through speakers that I have cared for. Everyone hears differently. Because pianos are so three-dimensional in the way they create sound I do not think any speaker can do them justice (minus getting some expensive Planners?).
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D
HwyStar

Postby Rychubil » 09 Oct 2019, 00:58

Claude Viool wrote:The noise from the key bouncing up is much more annoying because the piano sample is then either dampened or at least dying out.

Yes, precisely! You accurately expounded noisy problem of nord-fatar keyboard actions. This noise was really distracting me while playing on my previous NP2. Playing 3 times on NG in two stores I didn't notice that issue. NG has mounted velvet tape between keys and case, which doesn't exist on NPs for example. It really works.
Last edited by Rychubil on 09 Oct 2019, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
Kawai VPC1 | Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR80i
Rychubil

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby ChillOnTheSun » 15 Nov 2019, 21:17

It all depends on the stand also. When I have my Stage3 on robust wooden table, it is practically noiseless. When I have it on the original leg stand for Stage, noise is more audible. When I have it on some non leg stand, the noise from the keys hitting the bottom is most evident. Still, very quite comparing to some Kurzweils and Yamahas. I don't know how it is on Grand, I just want to point out that that noise depends also on stand material under the keyboard.
Last edited by ChillOnTheSun on 15 Nov 2019, 21:20, edited 3 times in total.
ChillOnTheSun

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby honey » 02 Mar 2020, 21:26

HwyStar wrote:At a later date, I may consider popping the top off the NG and have a look at the felt that is used on the keys to see if a better felt can be used to help avoid the bottom out issue, if we can consider it an issue at all. That would also give me a chance to take some naked pictures too, to post.

I did a complete disassembly and teardown of the Nord Grand in this thread
honey

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord C2D
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Grand

Postby jobs99 » 25 Mar 2021, 13:52

I will buy an used electro 3 61 sw, has the same problem that the HP keys?Thanks
jobs99

Postby Schorsch » 25 Mar 2021, 14:39

jobs99 wrote:I will buy an used electro 3 61 sw, has the same problem that the HP keys?Thanks

Hi and welcome to this great community!

The Electro 3 61 has a waterfall keybed, not a HP keybed, if the problems are specific to HP keybeds you then would not expect them on the waterfall keybed
Last edited by Schorsch on 25 Mar 2021, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby baekgaard » 25 Mar 2021, 19:21

jobs99 wrote:I will buy an used electro 3 61 sw, has the same problem that the HP keys?Thanks
Yes, welcome here.

In addition to the reply here and in the other thread you also asked the same question, let me just add that the grand har a completely different set of keys than all other nords, very different to the HP and also to the SW Keys on the NE3.

And also, the NE3 keys can be heard when you play, but it's not bad.

Sent from my phone in brevity
Last edited by baekgaard on 25 Mar 2021, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum