Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

My first experience... Not good.

Postby SnowbirdOfPrey » 05 Oct 2019, 07:57

I was so looking forward to the Nord Grand's arrival in my city. For months I watched videos and saved my money. I was ready. A week ago I walked into the music store, and it was like Christmas morning. There was a Nord Grand sitting out for all to see and touch. It was just as gorgeous in person as it was in all those YouTube videos I'd been watching. But then then I started to play. Instantly I was crushed with disappointment. The first thing I noticed was how hard the keys hit the keybed. There was very little in the way of a cushion. I tried to ignore it and played on, but my finger tips were actually starting to feel uncomfortable. And then there was the noise. Oh my gawd, the noise of the key action was way beyond any piano or keyboard I had ever heard. Even with my over-the-ear headphones on, the noise was too distracting for me to concentrate, let alone enjoy the sounds. One other distraction, for me at least, was the fact that I could see through the black and white keys into the bottom of the keybed. For some reason this made me feel uneasy, not sure why.
Could this be normal, or was it something somebody missed when setting it up? I asked the very nice lady, (who puts up with all my visits) if she got the same impression I did. She was nice enough to sit down and try, but she just brushed it off as being new, and needed to be broken in. I countered, stating that all the other "new" pianos don't sound or feel that way.

Anyway, the key-tops were beautiful. The look and feel of them was very exquisite indeed. The samples were also very beautiful. Sadly though, I walked out of the music store feeling as though a long love had dumped me. I'm really curious to know anyone has had a similar experience. I'm hoping that it was a shipping mistake, or some other anomaly. I just can't let this dream die. Any feedback from anyone who owns, or has played with the Nord Grand, is most appreciated.

Neil S
SnowbirdOfPrey

My first experience... Not good.

Sponsor

Re: My first experience... Not good.

Postby Rychubil » 05 Oct 2019, 10:44

Hi Neil

Some time ago, I was playing 3 times on Nord Grand in 2 stores and I didn't notice any noise issues from keyboard action like you but I read some similar opinions like yours and maybe there is something on it.
SnowbirdOfPrey wrote:One other distraction, for me at least, was the fact that I could see through the black and white keys into the bottom of the keybed. For some reason this made me feel uneasy, not sure why.

I agree about, it looks odd to look on PCB tracks through the keys. My feelings were the same.
Kawai VPC1 | Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR80i
Rychubil

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Postby HwyStar » 05 Oct 2019, 14:00

Morning Neil!

I got my NG almost two weeks ago and I love it. Do the keys bottom out a little hard? Yes. Is it bearable? Yes. I have arthritis in my fingers so my hands are sensitive to the bottom out affect. My hands/fingers are just fine. YMMV though. Only your hands will know. I have noticed when my fingers are playing in the “clasp an Apple” style of playing that my finger tips take a tiny bit of a hit. I have noticed this while playing. Only your hands can answer for this.

In regards to the sound: Yes, the keybed is a little loud. But, not as loud as my Steinway is. I tested this. I don’t think it is any louder than my MP11-v1. I am currently only playing with headphones so I am not impacted by it at all. If I get the chance today I will hook up my Yamaha HS8 speakers to see if I can hear the keybed.

I hadn’t noticed any spacing issues with the keys or seeing below the keys since my unit is in a very dim room. I know what you are talking about there. My MP11’s display would shine up from below on the keys and it was disconcerting. I have no issues with this. I have a light above my board and I do not see anything below.

I hope this helps you make a better informed decision. If not, send me a PM for any other questions you may have and I will be glad to answer them.

My Google Drive image
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D
HwyStar

Postby HwyStar » 05 Oct 2019, 14:09

At a later date, I may consider popping the top off the NG and have a look at the felt that is used on the keys to see if a better felt can be used to help avoid the bottom out issue, if we can consider it an issue at all. That would also give me a chance to take some naked pictures too, to post.

Do a search over at PW in regards to the ES8 or MP7SE to see if anyone has done any hacks to soften the blow of the keys for those boards that use the same base keybed?
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D
HwyStar

Postby SnowbirdOfPrey » 05 Oct 2019, 20:23

Thank you, Rychubil. I appreciate your informative insight. I know of another music store that will have a unit there in a week. If I get the same experience, I don't think I will be buying.
And thank you, HwyStar. I know it's pretty much impossible to make a product that will make everyone happy. Here in Canada the Nord Grand costs $5320.00 with taxes. At that price I would have to love it instantly. For me, the bottoming out was not bearable. I'm glad you love it, and hope it brings you many years of joy.
Neil

The author SnowbirdOfPrey was thanked by 2 members, including:
musicaldudeistHwyStar
SnowbirdOfPrey

Postby GuiliClayder » 07 Oct 2019, 10:27

SnowbirdOfPrey wrote:And then there was the noise. Oh my gawd, the noise of the key action was way beyond any piano or keyboard I had ever heard. Even with my over-the-ear headphones on, the noise was too distracting for me to concentrate, let alone enjoy the sounds.

I know the Kawai RH3-II action in the MP7SE is somewhat noisier than the Grand Feel keybed in the MP11SE, but not by much. In any case, I didn't think it was as noisy as Roland's PHA50 or all the Fatar actions. Perhaps it is noisier in the Nord Grand because of the customization that has been done by Nord, don't know about that, but surely it can't be as bad as the keybed in the Piano 4 ?
Kawai CA58
Kawai ES110
GuiliClayder

Postby Spider » 07 Oct 2019, 11:26

The RH-III action in my CN27 console piano is waaaay more quiet than the TP-40 in my Stage 2 EX.
The Kawai definitely makes some noise, but the NS2EX is so loud I can't play it at night (on headphones of course) because my neighbours complain.

That said, I never tried a Nord Grand so I cannot say. For sure, the heavier wooden chassis of the Kawais should absorb noise better than the metal Nord shell, which on the contrary may act as a sounding board and actually amplify the noise.
Last edited by Spider on 07 Oct 2019, 11:29, edited 2 times in total.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby GuiliClayder » 07 Oct 2019, 11:41

Spider wrote:The RH-III action in my CN27 console piano is waaaay more quiet than the TP-40 in my Stage 2 EX.
The Kawai definitely makes some noise, but the NS2EX is so loud I can't play it at night (on headphones of course) because my neighbours complain.

That said, I never tried a Nord Grand so I cannot say. For sure, the heavier wooden chassis of the Kawais should absorb noise better than the metal Nord shell, which on the contrary may act as a sounding board and actually amplify the noise.

I thought the Nord Grand was mostly made of wood, contrarily to the Kawai MP7SE/MP11SE which are made of metal with wooden sides...
Kawai CA58
Kawai ES110
GuiliClayder

Postby Spider » 07 Oct 2019, 12:18

GuiliClayder wrote:
Spider wrote:The RH-III action in my CN27 console piano is waaaay more quiet than the TP-40 in my Stage 2 EX.

I thought the Nord Grand was mostly made of wood, contrarily to the Kawai MP7SE/MP11SE which are made of metal with wooden sides...

Ah ok, didn't know that. I had an old ES series Kawai which had a particle board bottom. Not the most elegant solution and heavy as hell, but sure it provided a good dampening of mechanical noise. If they switched to metal on most recent instruments, no idea how this could impact the overall noise from the action.
All I can say is that Nords, with their all-metal contruction and FATAR keybeds, are maybe the noisiest keyboards I ever played. It's probably the only real complain I can find with them.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby nordolino » 07 Oct 2019, 13:45

In a shop I had a chance to play side by side the Nord grand and the Kawai MP7SE. The action on the Nord is 100% louder than in the Kawai. The keys produce a very loud sound hitting the bottom . Much louder than in the NP4 that I have.
Last edited by nordolino on 07 Oct 2019, 14:02, edited 6 times in total.
nordolino

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Next

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum