Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord grand

Postby pablomastodon » 17 Sep 2019, 06:56

Well dang, that's the first I've heard of Yeti Ramblers! I can confirm that Kraft has new inventory at the time of this writing.
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
HwyStar
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Sponsor

Postby HwyStar » 22 Sep 2019, 15:05

Thanks for pointing out Dude (and Pablo!), that the NG is/was in stock at Kraft Music. Mine delivers tomorrow!

After playing it for a few days I will do my best at comparing it to my other two acoustic pianos. For touch and sound. It will be interesting to compare the White Grand (Steinway B) to my Steinway A that I have. I remember playing both pianos when I made the decision to get my current Steinway and I liked the slightly brighter sound of the A over the B. But, the NG has EQ! +1dB to +2dB on the high EQ and I should be set.
Last edited by HwyStar on 22 Sep 2019, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D

The author HwyStar was thanked by:
musicaldudeist
HwyStar

Postby HwyStar » 27 Sep 2019, 21:33

I have had my NG since Monday now and so far so great! I plan on writing up a full review with "I think" one tiny "Con", but even it is very easy to live with. I'm loving it! It's better than the Yamaha N1X. At twice the price. There, I've said it...

PS: I am finally happy to be a part of the Nord family after so many years. I think my next long-term goal will be to get a C3E and rock out with it too.
Last edited by HwyStar on 27 Sep 2019, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D

The author HwyStar was thanked by:
musicaldudeist
HwyStar

Postby musicaldudeist » 28 Sep 2019, 22:14

Kraft put up two NG videos yesterday, one an overview and the other an "all playing".

https://youtu.be/ju-99DgYkm4

https://youtu.be/FlHC2KLTt6w
Nord Grand, Nord Wave 2, Yamaha YDP-184, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Studio Logic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX, Teenage Engineering OP-1, and a smattering of Ukuleles.
musicaldudeist

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby HwyStar » 29 Sep 2019, 00:13

I saw those videos, Dude! Good stuff, Maynard.

Today I worked on my triple-pedal that came with the NG. I was not happy with how you had to totally bottom out the sustain pedal to make the switch engage. So...

I got a 1/4 thick by 3/4 round furniture pad. You know those kinds of pads you put under the legs of chairs? I took one pad and with scissors, I cut the sides of the pad on both sides so the circle became "kind of like" the shape of a big capsule-pill. I opened up the pedal and noted where all the screws went as I pulled them out. There is a slight little trick you must do when you pull the pedals out of the plastic since there is a large plastic part that is inserted between the metal and plastic. Once I pulled the pedals out I stuck the furniture pad right onto the top of the forward gray switch of the pedal! It worked like a champ!!! The shape of the pad was the same as the switch so I think it should do well. Now, the pedal feels like a sustain pedal should feel and clicks on and off sort of in the middle of the pedal's travel. My MP11, which uses the same pedal from Kawai felt the same way and it was time for a good change. Mo Better!
HwyStar

Postby drxcm » 29 Sep 2019, 10:15

HwyStar wrote:I have had my NG since Monday now and so far so great! I plan on writing up a full review with "I think" one tiny "Con", but even it is very easy to live with. I'm loving it! It's better than the Yamaha N1X. At twice the price. There, I've said it...

PS: I am finally happy to be a part of the Nord family after so many years. I think my next long-term goal will be to get a C3E and rock out with it too.

What's the con?
drxcm

Postby nordolino » 29 Sep 2019, 11:33

Yesterday I try the Nord Grand in a shop. I was surprised how loud the keybed is. The run of the keys is shorter and and much much louder in comparison with the Nord piano 4. For playing live it is not a big deal, but it could be very problematic for practising at home. I wonder why they didn't put same material under the mechanism to soften the stop of the keys.
Last edited by nordolino on 29 Sep 2019, 11:34, edited 2 times in total.
nordolino

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Postby maxpiano » 29 Sep 2019, 12:20

drxcm wrote:
HwyStar wrote:I have had my NG since Monday now and so far so great! I plan on writing up a full review with "I think" one tiny "Con", but even it is very easy to live with. I'm loving it! It's better than the Yamaha N1X. At twice the price. There, I've said it...

What's the con?

Probably this:

HwyStar wrote:I saw those videos, Dude! Good stuff, Maynard.

Today I worked on my triple-pedal that came with the NG. I was not happy with how you had to totally bottom out the sustain pedal to make the switch engage. So...

I got a 1/4 thick by 3/4 round furniture pad. You know those kinds of pads you put under the legs of chairs? I took one pad and with scissors, I cut the sides of the pad on both sides so the circle became "kind of like" the shape of a big capsule-pill. I opened up the pedal and noted where all the screws went as I pulled them out. There is a slight little trick you must do when you pull the pedals out of the plastic since there is a large plastic part that is inserted between the metal and plastic. Once I pulled the pedals out I stuck the furniture pad right onto the top of the forward gray switch of the pedal! It worked like a champ!!! The shape of the pad was the same as the switch so I think it should do well. Now, the pedal feels like a sustain pedal should feel and clicks on and off sort of in the middle of the pedal's travel. My MP11, which uses the same pedal from Kawai felt the same way and it was time for a good change. Mo Better!
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby HwyStar » 29 Sep 2019, 12:22

Drxcm: The only con I have right now is the foot pedal that I fixed yesterday. I played it again last night and it is much smoother to use with the inserted pad that sits on top of the switch. It feels much better. It took me fifteen minutes to take it apart and insert the pad. Hopefully, the adhesive of the pad will be sufficient to hold it in place for a long period of time.

Nordolono: Yes, the keybed of the NG is sensitive. I have never played any of the other Nord piano’s to compare it to.

For each of the XL/LG pianos I downloaded, I have the sensitivity set differently for each sample. Sometimes Medium and sometimes light. For the way I play pianos (lightly, due to arthritis), I like as light of a touch as is possible. Heavy actions hurt my hands. Setting/saving each sample is working great for me.
HwyStar

Postby Mr_-G- » 29 Sep 2019, 15:18

HwyStar wrote:Drxcm: The only con I have right now is the foot pedal that I fixed yesterday. I played it again last night and it is much smoother to use with the inserted pad that sits on top of the switch.

Interesting hack.
I am not exactly sure how the pedal works inside, but I guess that there is a "final stop" that prevents pressing the pedal any further?
If so, I would check whether by putting the new pad spacer on top of the switch (which means that the pedal closes the circuit earlier when pressed), you also lost the final stop of the pedal elsewhere, and the whole weight is now falling on that particular bubble. It could reduce the life of the contact...
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum