How long to wait for a C2D successor?

The Nord C1, C2 and C2D Organ Forum
pryan

Re: How long to wait for a C2D successor?

Post by pryan »

I built myself a dual-manual electro, as I gave up dreaming/waiting. I features waterfall keybeds top and bottom, but it does mean I can mix organ and EP/Piano sounds top and bottom (thanks to the capability of the E5D). I've gigged with it for over a year now, and it's held up very well and means I have every option at my fingertips!

I think Nord need to consider this in some form in the future...their answer to the SK range, as Hammond really haven't quite got it sussed, particularly in the Piano department. Should I go into business manufacturing these lower manuals for Nord Electro users!?
Brilliant!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :keyboard2:
Rob Millis
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Rob Millis »

motomike1961 wrote:Rob Mills,
where on earth did you get that picture of a potential dual-manual Electro?? Did you photoshop that or is it a real pic?
This would be a dream set-up for me as I need an organ interface and high-quality AP's/EP's and Synths.
Thanks Mike
Not even as grand as Photoshop! Apple "Preview"!

I expect the C2D successor will lean more towards an dual manual Electro. It'll have to - they can't call it a f**king C3!!!! And it'll need to loosen its grip on the purist market - the Legend Live has won that battle; just look at it - and go for the Hammond SK series as has been said elsewhere.

One element that is missing from all recent 2 drawbar set clones is the ability to call either set up from either manual. I don't know why; we've had this before as the (digital) Korg BX3/CX3 did this beautifully. You had set 1 and set 2 and they weren't upper or lower prescribed, you could select either one on either manual. An 'Electro Duo' would really benefit from this: to have the facility to run non-organ sounds on one manual but still be able to toggle between both sets of drawbars on the other, as you can on a B3 manual, would have my credit card out my pocket in 30 secs flat.

Last edited by Rob Millis on 27 Jan 2019, 22:44, edited 3 times in total.
Twickenham's wayward son.
Frantz
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Post by Frantz »

Eventually the C3D could have a piano section, and
it would be possible to play it on the two manuals.

Evenutally the C3D could also be a slightly modified NS3 with two manuals.
http://displaychord.arfntz.fr
A mobile app to display chord names while you play, using midi / bluetooth connection.
Rob Millis
Donator

Post by Rob Millis »

Well, It's over a year since I posted this thread - and nothing!

Anything at all from the bush telegraph or rumour mill out there, good people?

Since I started this thread I've had my original C2D stolen and bought another out of loyalty but am really starting to think I did the wrong thing.
Last edited by Rob Millis on 24 Sep 2019, 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
Twickenham's wayward son.
LewTheKeysGuy

Post by LewTheKeysGuy »

I suppose I come from a bit of a different direction on things, yep, I know lol, Church organist (plays "Yawn sound effect") but I have to say, I've noticed that lately with Nord developments, it's as if they've gone on a "go slow" or maybe running out of drive. As an English Church Organist, I fell in love with the C2D and have to say, I like it for the organ stops, but and yes there's a but.... (is there a mr. butts here? a seemore butts?) I feel that two things could really be updated here. The Nord Stage 3 which I love to bits, could do with the organ samples from the C2D's pipe organ setups rather than the emulation modes which sound nothing like a genuine pipe organ. That said, if using certain samples, the emulation mode does give a character to the samples. The C2D could really do with more focus to the pipe organ needs where divisional and general pistons could be added, also the ability to add samples for other pipe organs and orchestral voices.

I will openly say this as a confession.

IfNord came out with a C3 and gave users the ability to have a 3rd manual as an optional extra which could be attached / detached, then a more expanded pipe organ section, I'd buy it, even if I had to sell my body and soul under a lamp post.... nah.... not that desperate but as an organist / session musician I need something that offers the requirements I have as a classical organist. The C2D has this. I suppose that the Viscount Cantorum Duo would do, but based on what it offers, it's not enough and has speakers built in which I don't need, so added weight. there's other organs but are single manual, unless there was serious money, then my dream organ would be the Johannus Live 3 which Nord could take a cue from.

I venture into the realms of B3 / farfisa playing, what does disturb me a touch is the lack of a further octave lower in harmonics / frequencies to really bite on the bass, but of course, that's modifying the core principle of the farfisa / vox specification.

Confession over..... I have sinned enough lol.

lew
Mr_-G-

Post by Mr_-G- »

Hey LewTheKeysGuy,
You mentioned that you are also into church organs. Have you checked this nsmp file made with GrandOrgue and the Burea church samples.
nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/bure ... t7988.html
LewTheKeysGuy

Post by LewTheKeysGuy »

Mr_-G- wrote:Hey LewTheKeysGuy,
You mentioned that you are also into church organs. Have you checked this nsmp file made with GrandOrgue and the Burea church samples.
nord-user-samples-nsmp-samples-f14/bure ... t7988.html
You're a genius!, that's a nice sound and will be part of my setup shortly.

There are not enough decent samples and to be honest I need to find some decent samples for either a 2 manual or 3 manual organ or if worst comes to it, hire a church, record samples, edit and then get them up here as instruments. a lot of work here.

lew
romelio
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Post by romelio »

if Clavia built a nord controller on the exact dimensions of each model (73/76/88) with the perfect upper / lower fit, I'd be happy!

I also always waited for a response from Clavia to Hammond SK...
jeffkeys

Post by jeffkeys »

romelio wrote:if Clavia built a nord controller on the exact dimensions of each model (73/76/88) with the perfect upper / lower fit, I'd be happy!

I also always waited for a response from Clavia to Hammond SK...
That’s exactly what I’d like! About the only thing I’d spring for from Nord after purchasing the S3 is a two manual instrument with an HA action manual (preferably on the bottom-76 keys) and a 61 SW on top (and drawbars). That would suck me right back in to the buying market!
LewTheKeysGuy

Post by LewTheKeysGuy »

Sadly that isn't something that Nord will do, if they did, they would have already done so.

2 manual 73 key would be perfect as it would be inline with any B3-like organ, but also have the sample engine added for instruments like strings, acoustic basses, etc to beef things up. Personally I'd be up for a controller like that, without question, an expanded C2D which offers the functionality of a B3 / Farfisa, etc, Church organ (for the likes of myself as a classical organist) and the ability to load samples as well. That would be heaven.

lew