Everything about the new Nord Drum and the Nord Beat 2 App.

ND 1 No response to midi notes in DAW

Postby DavevaD » 22 Sep 2019, 14:40

Hello,

I recently purchased a Nord Drum 1. I have spent hours with this thing (and the manual). I cannot get it to respond to incoming MIDI note data from a DAW. I can trigger it from my MPD32 with a direct connection via a MIDI cable but I cannot get it to respond/learn, etc. to MIDI notes from Cubase 10. My other gear works so I don't think it's on the sequencer side. Does anyone have any ideas? I feel so stupid.

Thank you
DavevaD

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Drum

ND 1 No response to midi notes in DAW

Sponsor

Re: ND 1 No response to midi notes in DAW

Postby pablomastodon » 22 Sep 2019, 17:31

if you are getting the unit to respond to incoming midi from another device and not from the DAW, that would seem to indicate that the issue is on the DAW side

sounds like a channel mismatch situation -- set up your DAW to mirror your MPD32's settings
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
DavevaD
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby DavevaD » 22 Sep 2019, 21:39

Thank you for the reply! I am having the same issue in Reason 10 using channel one both in Reason and on the ND. Here are my settings on the ND: C 1, LOF, POF. I have a MIDI cable patched from the MIDI out from my audio interface to the MIDI in of the ND. I can hear audio from the ND on an audio track in Reason when I press the TRIG button but not from the piano roll. The only way I was able to use the MPD32 was with MIDI learn. However, MIDI learn did not work with Reason's piano roll.
DavevaD

Postby wartaler » 23 Sep 2019, 03:40

Hi,
The MIDI channel has to match, the MIDI notes too. Maybe something went wrong with MIDI learn. Therefore, verify the notes and correct them manually if required; if the ND is set to respond to incoming note numbers 60, 62, 64, 65, for drum channels 1-4 resp. (check the note for each of the 4 drum channels in MIDI settings) the drum pattern on the MIDI track of your DAW has to comprise of those 4 notes. With mentioned note numbers, that's: C3, D3, E3 and F3, (or, depending on which standard your DAW uses, perhaps: C4, D4, E4, F4).
If you have multiple MIDI interfaces, or more outputs on your interface, check if you selected the right one as MIDI output device for your MIDI track, and double check if you indeed connected the output port of your MIDI interface to the input of your ND, and perhaps also try another MIDI cable.
Cheers,
Albert
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular

The author wartaler was thanked by:
DavevaD
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby DavevaD » 23 Sep 2019, 13:32

Hi All,

I finally got it to work with Reason 10 (I imagine one would have similar results in another DAW). Instead of using the MIDI out on my UMC404HD, I used an old M-Audio UNO MIDI. The settings on the ND under MIDI CH are: C1, L0n, P5. I set the MIDI NOTE for ch 1-4 to 60, 62, 64, 65. I penciled in the corresponding notes in Reasons' piano roll and it worked!

Thank you all so much! :yourock:

09.24.19 Addendum: I should also note that both the MIDI input and MIDI output had to be connected for this to work. When I removed the cable from the MIDI output this fix stopped working.
Attachments
2019-09-23 07_26_55-Window.png
2019-09-23 07_26_55-Window.png (166.81 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Last edited by DavevaD on 24 Sep 2019, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.

The author DavevaD was thanked by:
wartaler
DavevaD

Return to Nord Drum Forum