Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Nord Electro 6 HP - Noise hammer mechanism

Postby Rodrigohenrique » 15 Aug 2019, 00:27

Hello guys!
After 2 months of use I noticed loud noises on the keybed hp, especially on the black keys. I have heard from owners of nord electro hp that it really is a noisy keybed, but I don't think the noise my keyboard is making is normal.
Attached is the video demonstrating the problem. The dealer told me this is common in hammer portable, but I have doubts about that.
Thanks if anyone can help me with this problem. :thumbup:
Attachments
20190721_180923.mp4
(4.5 MiB) Downloaded 555 times
Rodrigohenrique

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Nord Electro 6 HP - Noise hammer mechanism

Sponsor

Re: Nord Electro 6 HP - Noise hammer mechanism

Postby NolaNord504 » 15 Aug 2019, 22:57

I have an E5 HP and my opinion is that what you're experiencing is normal for the HP keybed. My E5 keybed responds exactly same way. It is quite noisy, but this is the nature of the HP. The trade off is that it's lighter than the HA keybed. I do find that it can be distracting when playing at home at low volumes. However, it has never been a problem on a gig.

Nord also uses the HP keybed on the 76-key Stage models starting with the Stage 2 EX.
-Brian
Stage 2 HA76, Electro 6D 73
Gone but not forgotten: Stage 76 (Classic), Electro 2 73, Electro 3 73, Electro 5 HP

The author NolaNord504 was thanked by:
Rodrigohenrique
NolaNord504

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby Rusty Mike » 16 Aug 2019, 03:59

This has been discussed many, many times over the years. Do a search of this forum for the HP keyboard.

There is nothing damaged on your instrument, and you are not doing it any harm whatsoever by playing it.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby Rodrigohenrique » 27 Aug 2019, 03:57

NolaNord504 wrote:I have an E5 HP and my opinion is that what you're experiencing is normal for the HP keybed. My E5 keybed responds exactly same way. It is quite noisy, but this is the nature of the HP. The trade off is that it's lighter than the HA keybed. I do find that it can be distracting when playing at home at low volumes. However, it has never been a problem on a gig.

Nord also uses the HP keybed on the 76-key Stage models starting with the Stage 2 EX.

Thanks for commenting on your experience with this issue!
Rodrigohenrique

Postby Rodrigohenrique » 27 Aug 2019, 04:03

Rusty Mike wrote:This has been discussed many, many times over the years. Do a search of this forum for the HP keyboard.

There is nothing damaged on your instrument, and you are not doing it any harm whatsoever by playing it.

Thanks, Rusty Mike!
What bothers most is the noise when the black keys return. Is there any way to soften this? From what I've read from other experiences is that warranty repair doesn't solve this problem ...
Rodrigohenrique

Postby Rusty Mike » 27 Aug 2019, 14:21

It is just the nature of the action. Once my instruments were out of warranty I did a fairly exhaustive disassembly and thorough lubrication of the mechanism. It is described in this forum, and I performed this on both an Electro 3HP and my current Stage 2EX 76.

I will not, however, recommend that anyone do this themselves, unless you are willing to take the risk damaging your instrument. The result is that it helped a lot, but the HP is still not the quietest action on the market.
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Rusty Mike

Postby d3llio » 17 Sep 2019, 23:58

Hi everyone!
I’m experiencing this same issue with an Electro 6 HP that I purchased. Initially the action felt good, but very soon I noticed several keys (Not just black ones) had a strange and uneven feel in the action. The original owner had it under warranty and took it to have the keybed replaced. Even with the new keybed, these same issues returned on several different keys. If it were just a mild “clicking” I could deal with it, but I’m having trouble with the actual feel of playing the keys. From what I understand after talking with Nord customer service, is that they acknowledge this issue, and have justified it as the necessary trade-off for creating a much lighter keyboard overall. My question here would be whether this “lubrication” process that Rusty Mike mentioned might be a solution to the issue with these specific keys. They feel like they have less resistance than the “normal” keys. Thanks!
Last edited by d3llio on 17 Sep 2019, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
d3llio

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby Rusty Mike » 18 Sep 2019, 00:50

The HP action seems to be quite polarizing. Some people (like me) find it fine to work with while others abhor it. It’s not just Nord’s implementation, but rather the Fatar TP100 keyboard mechanism on the whole. There’s a fair amount of distain for it on other keyboard forums, including any other instrument that has it.

It’s a qualitative thing - you either get along with it or you don’t. I have personally found that I need to play it lighter than I think I should and it works out well for me.

If you’re looking for a lightweight piano action, it’s either this or the Casio Privia line. Kurzweil is starting to use a Midelli action that is getting some attention.
Rusty Mike

Postby Pianolin » 19 Sep 2019, 07:21

I recently had a contact strip cleaned out at a repair shop, thelubricated the keybed and much of the noise is gone - it plays like the day I got it. We'll see how long the quiet lasts...
Pianolin

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Markstreat » 12 May 2020, 10:32

Regarding a noisy E6HP keyboard - which has got worse. Does anyone have a guide on how to clean out the keyboard and make it less noisy? I'm out of warranty but worried that I'll break something critical and be in for an expensive repair bill. ....or do I just live with it?
Markstreat

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum