Next version of MacOS probably doesn't support Sound Manager

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards.
analogika
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Next version of MacOS probably doesn't support Sound Man

Post by analogika »

GuiliClayder wrote:
maxpiano wrote:The changes to be introduced by Mac OS Catalina are a challenge for all, anyway, not just Clavia; see for example https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... s-Products
Apple has been warning developers FOR YEARS that they would be ending 32-bit support. It's a bit lame to post a warning on your site mere weeks before the release of Catalina, the version which proves Apple wasn't making jokes...
Not upgrading to the latest Mac OS may be a temporary solution for existing users, but what about people buying new Macs right after the release of Catalina ?
Once again: CATALINA HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED.

THE NUMBER OF USERS AFFECTED BY THIS SCENARIO IS EXACTLY ZERO.

I agree that it’s a bit lame to post that notice now pointing out a problem that doesn’t exist, rather than just release a 64-bit version when Catalina is released, but you might just have this ridiculous thread to thank for that.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
GuiliClayder

Post by GuiliClayder »

analogika wrote: Once again: CATALINA HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED.
It will be in less than 2 weeks...

It's a bit like with electric cars : they're promoting them like crazy but the number of charging stations is completely inadequate. So a message similar to the one from Native Instruments could be : "Don't buy an electric car (yet)" or "only drive your car for short distances" :D

Edit : some reading...
https://cdm.link/2019/09/macos-catalina ... t-to-know/
Last edited by GuiliClayder on 12 Sep 2019, 13:45, edited 2 times in total.
Kawai CA58
Kawai ES110
analogika

Post by analogika »

GuiliClayder wrote:
analogika wrote: Once again: CATALINA HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED.
It will be in less than 2 weeks...

It's a bit like with electric cars : they're promoting them like crazy but the number of charging stations is completely inadequate.
No, it's not at all like that. Nobody is selling machines running Catalina yet, and any issues arising with the betas right now are like those public transport trials with hydrogen buses: Nobody expects everything to work perfectly, and everybody running one understands that there will be issues and snags to deal with. That's the whole point of being part of a test program.
Thanks. Apart from another round of security enhancements causing driver and installer issues (which has happened with several upgrades in the past, but not so regularly), it looks like the loss of 32-bit architectures is the only difference to every other major OS upgrade of the past twenty years.
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
Gambold
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Post by Gambold »

> I dislike Fatar keybeds in general so any brand using them won't get any thumbs up from me, so it's not just on Nord. But especially Nord shouldn't be using them, not with the prices they're charging.<

Maybe it's time to pile on Fatar about this. The general consensus seems to be that their keybeds stink and are not getting better. Why are they getting a pass? Here, let them know:

http://www.fatar.com/Pages/contatti.asp
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
catosim
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Post by catosim »

I´m seriously considering NOT to install Catalina right away, rather wait a few weeks/months :thumbup:
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland Jupiter X, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B, Virus Snow
Schorsch
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by Schorsch »

Gambold wrote:> I dislike Fatar keybeds in general so any brand using them won't get any thumbs up from me, so it's not just on Nord. But especially Nord shouldn't be using them, not with the prices they're charging.<

Maybe it's time to pile on Fatar about this. The general consensus seems to be that their keybeds stink and are not getting better. Why are they getting a pass? Here, let them know:

http://www.fatar.com/Pages/contatti.asp
Maybe I'm missing something but is this in any way related to the topic of this thread? :wtf:
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
PScooter63
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Post by PScooter63 »

catosim wrote:I´m seriously considering NOT to install Catalina right away, rather wait a few weeks/months :thumbup:
Good call, especially if it’s part of your gigging rig... unless there is some new MacOS feature you cannot possibly live without for a few months while the dust settles.

Let someone else sweat out the software development life cycle...
analogika

Post by analogika »

catosim wrote:I´m seriously considering NOT to install Catalina right away, rather wait a few weeks/months :thumbup:
I usually wait until .3 updates. Most major bugs are fixed by then, and the software I use tends to have been updated by then. I have a text document where I keep track of compatibility status for all my mission-critical software.
Last edited by analogika on 16 Sep 2019, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.
catosim
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Post by catosim »

analogika wrote: I usually wait until .3 updates. Most major bugs are fixed by then, and the software I use tends to have been updated by then. I have a text document where I keep track of compatibility status for all my mission-critical software.
Me too...2,3 sometimes more, also on the Nordstage OS.
Gear: Nord Stage 4, Nord Stage 3, Nord Lead A1, Ensoniq TS12, Roland D50, Roland D05, Roland Jupiter X, Hammond A100, Hammond M100, Yamaha GT2, Yamaha Motif 6, Virus B, Virus Snow
LewTheKeysGuy

Post by LewTheKeysGuy »

I too would never perform a major update until at least build 3 onwards. I used to work as a developer for Apple in their accessibility system, so had to have a dedicated dev machine to test, isolated from the rest of the rig in most cases. This ran alpha, beta and public release test versions for not only MacOS but other tools.

I just went through the hell of restoring my mac after a supplimental update 2 install corrupted VoiceOver turning my mac into a mute.

There are things we should talk about when it comes to Nord Sound Manager and Nord Sample Manager that Nord need to listen to, so why don't we start a new thread to give Nord the guidelines on what we actually need from this software.