Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 5 Makes Noise

Postby dprmcgnar » 16 Sep 2019, 17:49

Hey Guys, I recorded my Nord Electro 5 the other day and I noticed if I am not playing anything the nord naturally makes noise. It is in the higher register like 5k-10k range. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows how to prevent this?

When I record, the noise remains and I just eq highs out of the piano take. But it would be great to not have to do this.
I bought a nice cable thinking that would help. The only other thing I can think of is maybe changing my power supply?

This happens out of the left and right outputs.
dprmcgnar

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Electro 5 Makes Noise

Sponsor

Re: Electro 5 Makes Noise

Postby cgrafx » 16 Sep 2019, 19:14

there shouldn't be any noise other than what the Nord generates as a keyboard.

There are lots of things that could be causing this that don't have anything to do with the Nord itself.

How exactly are you recording the Nord?
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby pterm » 16 Sep 2019, 19:27

Other users report audio-band noise coming from their OLED display's power supply. Do you have a mic above your Nord that might pick up noise from the OLED or is it only on the Nord's audio outputs? --That is, do you see the noise in the mix or just on the Nord outputs. --You don't say if you used an external EQ or the Nord internal EQ.
If you can record a sample and post it, we can take a look at the spectral content and maybe get an idea of where it comes from.
pterm
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 3

Postby dprmcgnar » 16 Sep 2019, 21:49

pterm wrote:Other users report audio-band noise coming from their OLED display's power supply. Do you have a mic above your Nord that might pick up noise from the OLED or is it only on the Nord's audio outputs? --That is, do you see the noise in the mix or just on the Nord outputs. --You don't say if you used an external EQ or the Nord internal EQ.
If you can record a sample and post it, we can take a look at the spectral content and maybe get an idea of where it comes from.

I will record it later. I hear the noise when I go 1/4 inch into an audio interface. I used my focusrite interface and my friends interface( I forget what type he had).
I did not have a mic above the nord. The noise came from the 1/4 cable coming out of the nord. It is just on the nord outputs. I think even turning the nords eq off did not fix this. I turned all effects off and I still got the sound.
dprmcgnar

Postby dprmcgnar » 16 Sep 2019, 21:50

cgrafx wrote:there shouldn't be any noise other than what the Nord generates as a keyboard.

There are lots of things that could be causing this that don't have anything to do with the Nord itself.

1/4 inch cable into interface and I am listening back on logic pro.
dprmcgnar

Postby pablomastodon » 17 Sep 2019, 07:00

Is the Nord connected via USB to the same audio interface or computer at the same time? Does this noise persist when that connection is lifted?
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby cgrafx » 17 Sep 2019, 08:26

dprmcgnar wrote:
cgrafx wrote:there shouldn't be any noise other than what the Nord generates as a keyboard.

Ok... not helpful.. What brand/model of interface. What computer (model not just brand). Specifics are needed here. you need to list the entire audio chain and anything else that may be attached to the computer and interface.
Last edited by cgrafx on 17 Sep 2019, 08:28, edited 1 time in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby estork » 17 Sep 2019, 13:40

My 5D definitely makes a slight noise. It bugged me at first, but you definitely cannot hear it live, and wouldn't see it being a problem for tracking. I just got use to it.
estork

Postby fieldflower » 17 Sep 2019, 15:45

My 5D is not making any additional noises (AFAIK - some frequencies are out of reach these days.)
I have however thought I was having noise from my keyboards, but it turned out being a computer monitor that in combination with some of the other gear creates a constant noise.
Have also had a computer charger that when placed near other stuff created noise - just had to move it 50 cm and then everything was fine.
So these days I check everything else as well if I get unwanted noise on anything - it's often something else than what You think...
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Postby dprmcgnar » 17 Sep 2019, 16:00

cgrafx wrote:
dprmcgnar wrote:

Ok... not helpful.. What brand/model of interface. What computer (model not just brand). Specifics are needed here. you need to list the entire audio chain and anything else that may be attached to the computer and interface.

I have it out of left 1/4 inch into this interface https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gLQsvD_BwE
that interface is plugged into my new macbook pro. I record it on logic. I noticed when the nord is up(gain and volume) and the gain on the interface is down then I do not get as much of the noise. But once I increase the volume of the recording (on logic), the noise shows on the track.
dprmcgnar

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum