This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Next version of MacOS probably doesn't support Sound Man

Postby CountFosco » 09 Sep 2019, 12:46

GuiliClayder wrote: they owe it to their (demanding) customers ...

Maybe. Are you one? We sometimes get these threads where the most dissatisfied posters are ones who are not ones, which intrigues me no end. (I've just made a pinky promise to myself to be the last poster in this thread)
Last edited by CountFosco on 09 Sep 2019, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Sponsor

Postby GuiliClayder » 09 Sep 2019, 13:22

CountFosco wrote:
GuiliClayder wrote: they owe it to their (demanding) customers ...

Maybe. Are you one?

Probably not. I mean, I settled for a Kawai MP11SE, with sounds that seem excellent to my ears, not to mention the fabulous keybed...

Seriously, though, I considered the Nord Grand for a short time, but honestly, paying 60% more for 'better' sounds, and at the same time taking a step back as far as keybed is concerned... Don't think so.
On the other hand, if Nord had put the Kawai Grand Feel keybed in the Grand, I might have forked out the extra cash. All depends on what is considered to be premium. And for me, that's the keybed.
For the price of the Nord Grand, I'm sure it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect both, premium sounds AND a premium keybed.
Last edited by GuiliClayder on 09 Sep 2019, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Kawai CA58
Kawai ES110
GuiliClayder

Postby CountFosco » 09 Sep 2019, 13:28

GuiliClayder wrote:
Probably not... I mean... not to mention ...

Seriously, though... but honestly... Don't think so...On the other hand... I might have ...All depends...

so, no?
CountFosco

Postby GuiliClayder » 09 Sep 2019, 14:35

CountFosco wrote:
GuiliClayder wrote:
Probably not... I mean... not to mention ...

Seriously, though... but honestly... Don't think so...On the other hand... I might have ...All depends...

so, no?

You joker, you :)
In any case, you broke your pinky promise... ;)
Kawai CA58
Kawai ES110
GuiliClayder

Postby CountFosco » 09 Sep 2019, 15:26

GuiliClayder wrote: you broke your pinky promise... ;)

Rats! Foiled again
CountFosco

Postby phenoplastic » 10 Sep 2019, 16:57

GuiliClayder wrote:
emelenjr wrote:It's like Christmas in September! Clavia Support wrote me again today and let me download 64-bit versions of Sound Manager and the Nord Electro OS updater. If I weren't traveling at the moment, I'd have my Nord with me, but I can confirm that what Clavia is currently beta-testing works with what Apple is currently beta-testing, as in the apps actually open up.

Now that there's a new answer to the question that's central to this post topic, i thought it deserved an update. I'll test the apps out more thoroughly when I can, but it looks like Clavia is at least 90% there in terms of being ready for Catalina. Cheers, all.

Good. Now all we need are iOS versions of their software and we'll really have moved into the 21st century.
This will sound like an annoying rant, and I do recognize the quality of Nord products, but with the prices they're charging, they owe it to their (demanding) customers to support as many platforms as possible.
The fact that they're a small company compared to the likes of Roland or Yamaha is no excuse. Premium prices equal premium support. Full stop.
Imagine buying a BMW 5-series that doesn't support Apple Carplay...

Fully agree with you.
phenoplastic

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Gambold » 11 Sep 2019, 22:23

>The fact that they're a small company compared to the likes of Roland or Yamaha is no excuse. Premium prices equal premium support. <

I'm sorry, you must have missed the memo. CLAVIA CAN DO NO WRONG. THEY DO NOT NEED ANY EXCUSES FOR ANYTHING.*

Suggesting otherwise will get you a dim reception here. This is not an objective forum. It's a club, an appreciation society, and while you can make light grumbles about the lack of this grommet or that widget, calling into question the wisdom of Clavia's marketing, programming, or engineering is not going to win you any cuddles here. You'll quickly be labeled a troll, and depending on the fervor of your calling, the pile-on can become engrossing...

*Well, the Nord piano monitors seem to qualify as an ill-conceived, over-priced frippery plopped out to milk the fanboys. And it's debatable if whatever profits they funneled to Chris Maene wouldn't have been more cleverly spent modernizing the sample library, with better descriptors and a search feature. But that's another thread...
Last edited by Gambold on 11 Sep 2019, 22:35, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Gambold

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby Gambold » 11 Sep 2019, 22:29

>I'm pretty sure that I am not the only Nord user who has never downloaded anything<

Sorry, I have to ask. What's your go-to Grand piano?

I don't download much from Nord - their sample library is a bit of a mess and a lot of the back half of the piano libraries get silly (digital hybrids, Beethoven pianos, etc). But their grands, uprights, and EPs are the sauce, and I always look for new ones to try. The recent EP filters were a noticeable improvement for the Rhodes samples, and the White Grand, while not the Super Steinway we were hoping for, is a refreshing return to a classic sample after the 3D experiment and the failed (IMHO) Velvet.
Last edited by Gambold on 11 Sep 2019, 22:36, edited 3 times in total.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Gambold

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby CountFosco » 11 Sep 2019, 22:40

Gambold wrote:Sorry, I have to ask. What's your go-to Grand piano?

Sentences with that wiggly thing on the end of them are just going to encourage other people to post, with their opinions and their knowledge and whatnot. What'd you do that for?
CountFosco

Postby GuiliClayder » 12 Sep 2019, 09:39

Gambold wrote:*And it's debatable if whatever profits they funneled to Chris Maene wouldn't have been more cleverly spent modernizing the sample library, with better descriptors and a search feature. But that's another thread...

Chris Maene's flagship store is half an hour away from where I live in Belgium. Very impressive with all the acoustic pianos, concert hall, etc. Wonderful to walk around and look at all the goodies. Never seen that many Grand pianos together in one location. I was in awe. They do stock digital pianos but their number pales in comparison to the acoustic models. They also make their own and are apparently internationally renowned.
Still, bit of a 'posh' atmosphere, I thought...

But I don't think I fully understand your post. You make it sound like Chris Maene owns a part of Nord...

Gambold wrote:I'm sorry, you must have missed the memo. CLAVIA CAN DO NO WRONG. THEY DO NOT NEED ANY EXCUSES FOR ANYTHING.*

Suggesting otherwise will get you a dim reception here. This is not an objective forum. It's a club, an appreciation society, and while you can make light grumbles about the lack of this grommet or that widget, calling into question the wisdom of Clavia's marketing, programming, or engineering is not going to win you any cuddles here. You'll quickly be labeled a troll, and depending on the fervor of your calling, the pile-on can become engrossing...

Well, I'm not here to troll or to criticize Nord and on a discussion forum like this, criticism is something that's only natural.
I had been reading and hearing nothing but praise, but that got a bit dented when I discovered how mediocre the keybed was on something like the Stage 3 88 or the Piano 4. Compared with the likes of Roland, Yamaha or Korg, Nord should be ashamed that they release premium boards with that kind of keybed. Still, truth be told, I dislike Fatar keybeds in general so any brand using them won't get any thumbs up from me, so it's not just on Nord. But especially Nord shouldn't be using them, not with the prices they're charging. For comparison : the Piano 4 isn't actually all that expensive at 2500 euro, a bit more than the Yamaha CP88 and Roland RD2000, both around 2200 euro. But the CP88 and RD2000 both have much much better keybeds than the Piano 4, and I'm forgetting Korg's Grandstage, which also easily beats the Piano 4.
The Nord Grand is a big improvement with the Kawai keybed : the RH3 is the best plastic keybed there is, so I hope that Nord will start working together with Kawai in the future instead of Fatar. But to put things in perspective : Kawai MP7SE costs 1350 euro, the Nord Grand 3350 euro. Your mileage or anyone else's mileage may vary, but the Nord sound library isn't worth 2000 euro to me...
I did consider the Grand briefly, though, but opted for the MP11SE in the end.
Last edited by GuiliClayder on 12 Sep 2019, 09:54, edited 2 times in total.
Kawai CA58
Kawai ES110
GuiliClayder

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum