This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Circular economy to update nord keyboard?

Postby adso81 » 09 Sep 2019, 16:16

Maybe a foolish idea, but...Given that the differences between nord keyboards updates don't seem too many (at least in hardware), would it be difficult to have a circular economy policy, where I can return my Nord Electro 5, pay some more euros and have in return a Nord Electro 6?
I think it would be good for the company and for the users, who could be up to date with sounds and libraries...
adso81

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Circular economy to update nord keyboard?

Sponsor

Re: Circular economy to update nord keyboard?

Postby analogika » 09 Sep 2019, 18:05

Given the resale value of these boards, and the fact that you can update with new pianos and sample sounds for free for many years after purchase, I don’t think you would gain anything from Nord implementing such a policy.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby maxpiano » 09 Sep 2019, 18:15

adso81 wrote:Maybe a foolish idea, but...Given that the differences between nord keyboards updates don't seem too many (at least in hardware), would it be difficult to have a circular economy policy, where I can return my Nord Electro 5, pay some more euros and have in return a Nord Electro 6?
I think it would be good for the company and for the users, who could be up to date with sounds and libraries...

Maybe it's me but I am missing what would be the "good for the company"... for them it is easier if you sell your used gear yourself and put money on top to buy new, as usual.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
pablomastodon
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Schorsch » 09 Sep 2019, 19:03

Agree with both Analogika and Maxpiano. I don’t think that any kind of trade-in offer would be beneficial for Nord and I can’t see a reason for this either unless stocks would not turn
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
pablomastodon
Schorsch
Donator

Postby Mr_-G- » 09 Sep 2019, 22:54

Erm... and what would Clavia do with your old battered instrument? I cannot see that working at all...
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby analogika » 10 Sep 2019, 10:11

Yamaha has a similar upgrade program for their top digital mixing consoles. The old mixers have almost no resale value and are destroyed.

Apple does something similar, but they have a huge infrastructure for refurbishing or recycling devices and have their own global store that they can use to sell refurbished devices.

Clavia has a workforce of about thirty people, TOTAL.
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
analogika

Postby adso81 » 10 Sep 2019, 15:56

Yes, I know that maybe now it is still not beneficial for the company but it might be in the future. What to do with old keyboards? Use the components that are well preserved for new keyboards (keys, internal components, whatever..). Pay for your old keyboard according to the number of component that can be reused. And win a fidelity group of customers. I know that, up to now, Nord is a trending brand, but it can change in the future..
adso81

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby musicaldudeist » 10 Sep 2019, 16:21

Speaking for myself, now that I've experienced a Nord (Grand), I'd have a difficult time switching to another brand for a performance instrument. In fact, down the road I'd like to get a Stage, whatever the most recent iteration is at the time. Fidelity customer here.
Nord Grand, Nord Wave 2, Yamaha YDP-184, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Studio Logic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX, Teenage Engineering OP-1, and a smattering of Ukuleles.
musicaldudeist

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby analogika » 10 Sep 2019, 18:08

adso81 wrote:Use the components that are well preserved for new keyboards (keys, internal components, whatever..).

They wouldn't be "new" keyboards then, would they?

The author analogika was thanked by:
pablomastodon
analogika

Postby pablomastodon » 10 Sep 2019, 23:58

There's a new restaurant which opened in town here which operates under a similar plan. Food that's left over on one's plate is brought back into the kitchen to be recycled for someone else's dinner. The secondary customer gets a discount according to how much "new" food needs to be added to the plate, and the primary customer gets credit for how much uneaten food they return to the kitchen which they can then use for their next visit. Unfortunately, many of the locals around here don't seem to appreciate the environmental and economic benefits which this novel concept offers...
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by 3 members, including:
SchorschafroskullyTracii
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Next

Return to General Nord Forum