New Roland Fantom

Discuss other brands keyboards, synthesizers, modules, software, controllers including how they compare or work with the Nords.
Quai34
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Re: New Roland Fantom

Post by Quai34 »

Roland has always been the best for synth strings, Synth brass and pads and the "real" brass are not bad.... It's still a workstation, after 4/5 minutes, I was already a bit overwhelmed by the explanations compared to a a Stage 2/3.... But yes, it seems to be easier than the Kronos....
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.
Leo Castro
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Leo Castro »

theshinenz wrote:
Leo Castro wrote:Fantom is like a powered FA-06, but still without multisampling, for me, it's not a serious competitor.
:shock: :D

Really? Have you actually read the specs? I am confident that this Fantom will not only have multisampling in the next new months but more features that will make it even better than it looks right now. Nord has a great sound, but is not flexible and cannot layer sounds enough.
Yes! I read the specs. I love Roland BTW, but Fantom is still without multisampling. I know my Nord Stage 2 is not flexible as my Juno G, but i have more than one keyboard because they are different.
Fantom looks very nice, and all the connections on the back, wow, are gorgeous.
Nord Stage 2 - Roland Juno G - Moog MG-1 - Alesis Vortex 2 - Yamaha DX7llD
FBcommander
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Post by FBcommander »

Has anyone made the move to the fantom ? Feedback to share ? I myself considering it but I am scared to miss the simplicity of my NS3C...
On the other hand, the synth section is very appealing..
ajstan
Donator
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Post by ajstan »

FBcommander wrote:Has anyone made the move to the fantom ? Feedback to share ? I myself considering it but I am scared to miss the simplicity of my NS3C...
@kbmatson has a Fantom. Here is a link to his posts (you need to be logged in). Type "Fantom" in the "Search these results:" box at the top of the list to see his posts that reference the Fantom.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=23933
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K Gig Camera, Behringer XR18 Mixer
AdamStage2

Post by AdamStage2 »

I finally got to demo the Fantom series last weekend,soundswise I really liked it and the sequencer is far better and easier to use than most Workstations i've encountered in the past,a really intuitive layout and I found my way around it quite easily within a few minutes.

Its great for quick ideas and works in a similar fashion to the methods and workflow I like and without too much page skipping between parameters,if I hadn't already had a Kronos then this would be a contender,but even the Kronos sees very little interaction in my studio these days,I don't really have the room for a second Workstation at this time,my last Roland Workstation was the G6 but it was frustrating to use at times and Roland Left much of the OS unfinished so for me that was kind of the end of the line for Roland Workstations lineage,Hopefully Roland may introduce a Fantom Rack that contains the engines because overall its a great sound pallete.

I wasn't too keen on the keybed though on the F6,it seemed rather uninspiring and not very responsive,and fitting with the pristine price tag for the luxury of this Workstation certainly for me I loved the keybed on the Fantom G series and the Jupiter 80,not sure why Roland changed the beds on this model,the semi weighted models are not the most enjoyable keybeds I've used,It kind of spoilt the experience a little for me,and I'm not a fan of Hammer Actions on a instrument that primarily you''ll be playing synth parts on for 95% of the time,so heres hoping they might make a rack model,plus I am reluctant to jump on the latest Fantom Series anyway as I learnt my lesson with the G series so will wait a while to see how far Roland go with this Model,they aren't exactly the most forward company with OS updates and support.
Last edited by AdamStage2 on 05 Feb 2020, 19:19, edited 3 times in total.
FBcommander

Post by FBcommander »

ajstan wrote:
FBcommander wrote:Has anyone made the move to the fantom ? Feedback to share ? I myself considering it but I am scared to miss the simplicity of my NS3C...
@kbmatson has a Fantom. Here is a link to his posts (you need to be logged in). Type "Fantom" in the "Search these results:" box at the top of the list to see his posts that reference the Fantom.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=23933
Thanks a lot !!