This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Next version of MacOS probably doesn't support Sound Man

Postby analogika » 25 Aug 2019, 03:59

:shifty: :shh:

:lol:
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby emelenjr » 07 Sep 2019, 01:25

It's like Christmas in September! Clavia Support wrote me again today and let me download 64-bit versions of Sound Manager and the Nord Electro OS updater. If I weren't traveling at the moment, I'd have my Nord with me, but I can confirm that what Clavia is currently beta-testing works with what Apple is currently beta-testing, as in the apps actually open up.

Now that there's a new answer to the question that's central to this post topic, i thought it deserved an update. I'll test the apps out more thoroughly when I can, but it looks like Clavia is at least 90% there in terms of being ready for Catalina. Cheers, all.

The author emelenjr was thanked by:
ajstan
emelenjr

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby derrellpiper » 07 Sep 2019, 07:56

My goodness, what got into them?
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

The author derrellpiper was thanked by:
analogika
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby MvanD » 07 Sep 2019, 12:37

-edit- already posted
Last edited by MvanD on 07 Sep 2019, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
MvanD
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby GuiliClayder » 08 Sep 2019, 17:28

emelenjr wrote:It's like Christmas in September! Clavia Support wrote me again today and let me download 64-bit versions of Sound Manager and the Nord Electro OS updater. If I weren't traveling at the moment, I'd have my Nord with me, but I can confirm that what Clavia is currently beta-testing works with what Apple is currently beta-testing, as in the apps actually open up.

Now that there's a new answer to the question that's central to this post topic, i thought it deserved an update. I'll test the apps out more thoroughly when I can, but it looks like Clavia is at least 90% there in terms of being ready for Catalina. Cheers, all.

Good. Now all we need are iOS versions of their software and we'll really have moved into the 21st century.
This will sound like an annoying rant, and I do recognize the quality of Nord products, but with the prices they're charging, they owe it to their (demanding) customers to support as many platforms as possible.
The fact that they're a small company compared to the likes of Roland or Yamaha is no excuse. Premium prices equal premium support. Full stop.
Imagine buying a BMW 5-series that doesn't support Apple Carplay...
Kawai CA58
Kawai ES110
GuiliClayder

Postby analogika » 08 Sep 2019, 17:59

AFAIK, BMW has actually started charging a subscription fee for using CarPlay.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby PScooter63 » 08 Sep 2019, 23:56

analogika wrote:AFAIK, BMW has actually started charging a subscription fee for using CarPlay.

They announced their intentions to do this in January 2018, and started enforcing it this past July. Ostensibly for ongoing testing and development. :wtf:
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby GuiliClayder » 09 Sep 2019, 09:22

analogika wrote:AFAIK, BMW has actually started charging a subscription fee for using CarPlay.

To be honest, that doesn't surprise me. As a premium brand, they assume their customers have bags of money anyway. That's what premium brands do, really.
Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nord starts charging for new sounds in the future. After all, if people are willing to spend the money in order to have the best, why give it away for free ?
Kawai CA58
Kawai ES110
GuiliClayder

Postby cgrafx » 09 Sep 2019, 09:24

GuiliClayder wrote:

To be honest, that doesn't surprise me. As a premium brand, they assume their customers have bags of money anyway. That's what premium brands do, really.
Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nord starts charging for new sounds in the future. After all, if people are willing to spend the money in order to have the best, why give it away for free ?

I would be extremely surprised because Nord's entire history and business model is predicated on them not doing that.
Last edited by cgrafx on 09 Sep 2019, 09:25, edited 2 times in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Tracii » 09 Sep 2019, 10:41

cgrafx wrote:
GuiliClayder wrote:Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Nord starts charging for new sounds in the future. After all, if people are willing to spend the money in order to have the best, why give it away for free ?

I would be extremely surprised because Nord's entire history and business model is predicated on them not doing that.

It would certainly drive away many people.

However, I'm pretty sure that I am not the only Nord user who has never downloaded anything, because I'm quite happy with the factory settings. If (!) they made their boards less expensive, I for one wouldn't have a problem with Nord selling their sounds.

Then again, they probably won't live off customers like me. ;)
Tracii

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum