All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Buzzing noise Nord piano Monitor

Postby laighthaus » 06 Sep 2019, 06:14

Hello there! I recently got a Nord Grand with the Nord piano monitors and noticed there are certain keys that I hit (mostly the E’s) that will generate a buzzing sound in the right monitor that’s very distracting. And it consistently buzzes with those same keys.

I tried to switch the cable so that the right output on the keyboard is going to the left speaker and vice verse and that eliminates the buzzing sound from the E keys, but the buzzing still persists when I’m playing. It’s just happens with different keys. The buzzing only happens in the right monitor. Have you heard of anything like this before and what might be the cause? I even tried a different cable and the same thing happens. I’ve attached a video of the buzzing sound that occurs.
Last edited by laighthaus on 13 Sep 2019, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.
laighthaus

Buzzing noise Nord piano Monitor

Sponsor

Re: Buzzing noise Nord piano Monitor

Postby cgrafx » 06 Sep 2019, 08:18

your speaker is vibrating.

It doesn't have anything to do with the Nord other than the specific keys have the right harmonic content to set off the buzzing in the speaker.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby wartaler » 06 Sep 2019, 13:03

Hi laighthaus, welcome to the forum!
I wasn't able to watch your video on my ipad, but judging from your description it is probably the speaker, or the mount, or something else near the speaker. I had exactly the same with hifi speakers; with some piano recordings certain notes would cause buzzing in one speaker. In my case, the screws of the woofer were tightened and they did something with the coating of the cone as well, but it could be anything within the speaker cabinet, or attached to it. I'd suggest to try the speaker(s) in another room, not attached to the mounts, a bit further away from your keyboard, if the same speaker still buzzes, it's most probably the speaker itself. Unless it's something on the outside like a loose bolt of the mount, a nut of a jack port, or a sticker, I wouldn't try fixing it yourself..
Cheers,
Albert
Last edited by wartaler on 06 Sep 2019, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby laighthaus » 06 Sep 2019, 13:37

Thank you both for replying.

Albert, so I tried lifting the right speaker off the mount and just holding it, and it still makes that same buzzing noise. I think you may be right though because the left speaker never buzzes like that.
laighthaus

Postby wartaler » 06 Sep 2019, 13:50

Yes, it could very well be, it could be anything from the grille, the actual speakers, pcb, wiring, baffle, to something on the rear panel, I think it's best to contact the dealer or distributor to get it fixed or replaced..
Last edited by wartaler on 06 Sep 2019, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Drum 2, Drum (1), Lead 4, Lead 2x, Stage 'Classic', Micro Modular
wartaler

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

Postby CraigW » 30 Oct 2019, 00:10

Reviving this post. I recently purchased the Nord Monitors for my Stage 3 and so far have had zero issues. They are not mounted. I just have them sitting on top of my Hammond XK5. No buzzing, no hiss, just clean/balanced sound. Pricey but I would highly recommend to anyone tired of practicing through headphones.
Last edited by CraigW on 30 Oct 2019, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
CraigW

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Postby jpaul » 01 Nov 2019, 16:23

I recently got my Nord Grand and I am having the same issue with a G key... a very faint but annoying buzzing in the right ear of my Audio Technica headphones. I haven't gotten my speakers yet so I'm not sure if it's an issue with those as well. I'd love to hear if someone figures out the solution! I haven't contacted Nord about it yet.
jpaul

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Postby ArtMc » 08 Mar 2024, 21:25

laighthaus wrote:Hello there! I recently got a Nord Grand with the Nord piano monitors and noticed there are certain keys that I hit (mostly the E’s) that will generate a buzzing sound in the right monitor that’s very distracting. And it consistently buzzes with those same keys.

I tried to switch the cable so that the right output on the keyboard is going to the left speaker and vice verse and that eliminates the buzzing sound from the E keys, but the buzzing still persists when I’m playing. It’s just happens with different keys. The buzzing only happens in the right monitor. Have you heard of anything like this before and what might be the cause? I even tried a different cable and the same thing happens. I’ve attached a video of the buzzing sound that occurs.

I'm having the same exact issue in one speaker only as well, the power supply speaker
ArtMc

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Postby ArtMc » 08 Mar 2024, 21:25

A little annoying to say the least
ArtMc

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5

Return to Accessories and Amplification