General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Mechanical problem with a noisy key

Postby abdielsba » 28 Aug 2019, 03:54

Hi everyone

I purchased a Nord Stage HP 76 just 4 days ago with only just 4 hours of use i and I just realized that the key B4 is causing a clicking weird noise when is pressed, I think is a mechanical problem, I've heard the keybed is made by Fatar, and the factory has made modifications to make it fit the HP models. I’ve seen a lot complaints about the HP models so frustrated to have this issue isn't the best experience I expected.

Anyone has experience an issued like this?
Attachments
IMG_5733.mov
Noisy key
(32 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
abdielsba

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Mechanical problem with a noisy key

Sponsor

Re: Mechanical problem with a noisy key

Postby twofarmers » 30 Aug 2019, 15:19

Sorry if this sounds negative, but a quick search of this forum using the work "clack" will show a lot of posts for this issue. My NE6 HP is in the shop this week for warranty work to try to quiet the noise. It is a common problem that I think is caused by Fatar trying to get a hammer action in a 25 pound keyboard. I recently purchased a Fatar SL880 and the keybed is solid and quiet, but it weighs 41 pounds. I don't notice the noise when playing live, but at home it is a real irritation, especially from an expensive keyboard....tony
twofarmers

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Re: Mechanical problem with a noisy key

Postby twofarmers » 04 Sep 2019, 03:03

Sent my NE6 HP to the shop under warranty and talked to the tech today. He said it is a lubrication issue, maybe due to the factory not getting the lubrication completely applied to all the keys. He said it is an easy fix that would cost about $60. This repair is under warranty since it I have owned it for only nine months. Hope this does the trick....tony

Update: 09/04/19 - Got the board back today and it sounds like new! The tech said the factory lubricant was not evenly spread, causing a few keys to make the noise. He states that the repair is not too difficult for a mechanically inclined owner to perform himself. Not sure if I'm ready to take on the task, but if it need this service once a year for $60 I'll probably let them service it each year. Great to have the quiet return!....tony

Update: 10/16/19 - After little use, the clack is back! Ugh!!

Update: 11/15/19 - Last trip to the repair technician before the warranty expires. Got it back today and it is quiet like a new toy. I've decided the noise is probably characteristic of this Fatar model keybed and if the noise returns I'll either live with it or learn to disassemble and lubricate it myself. The option is to go with a Stage 76 HA, which has the better hammer action keybed, but it is 15 pounds heavier then the NE6HP and only 5 pounds less than the Stage 88. Love the sounds and weight of the NE6HP, so I'm in for the long haul.
Last edited by twofarmers on 16 Nov 2019, 03:18, edited 3 times in total.
twofarmers

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Return to Nord Stage Forum