All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

MIDI volume slider box ?

Postby twofarmers » 31 Aug 2019, 04:03

As an alternative to leaving my Nord at church, I have acquired a Motif ES rack and a great Fatar controller that has zone on/off switches but no individual volume controls. The volume pedal works great, but I'd like to have individual sliders like on the Yamaha S80 and other controllers. Has anyone found a four channel midi box that I can set on top of the controller with inline midi cables and control the individual channel volumes? Thanks...tony
p.s. the SL880 keybed feels so much better than the Fatar keybed on my NE6 HP, but it also weight 41 lb.
twofarmers

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

MIDI volume slider box ?

Sponsor

Re: MIDI volume slider box ?

Postby Mr_-G- » 31 Aug 2019, 09:42

That seems unnecessarily complicated. You would need to merge the MIDI out of your controller with those 4 MIDI channels. Why not using a 4 channel audio mixer? The result would be the same.
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby anotherscott » 31 Aug 2019, 13:34

There are a number of MIDI fader boxes that connect via standard MIDI jacks (as opposed to USB), but they may be the kind of thing you'd have to find used. I know of at least these:

M-Audio Evolution UC33e
Behringer BCF-2000
Peavey PC1600X
anotherscott

Postby twofarmers » 03 Sep 2019, 03:20

Mr_G - Thanks for the perspective, I got caught up in the midi universe. The Motif ES rack has four assignable outs that I can bus into a 4 channel mixer and then to the main board. Excellent idea.
Thanks anotherscott. Found several on the used market.
I've got some time to play around with it, but this is a good start...Thanks, Tony
twofarmers

Postby twofarmers » 10 Dec 2019, 04:04

Update: Found a cheap, but imperfect solution. The Lexicon MRC (Midi remote controller) is an older box that allows full control of up to eight midi channels. Each of the four sliders and buttons is programable to a midi function. So the SL controller can transmit on four channels at once. The midi enters the MRC on four midi channels and the MRC can be set up to control the volume on the four midi channels. Picked one up for $15 to play with and found it works pretty good. A little quirckie for live performance because the sliders do not seem to stay connected. Might be just a problem with this unit, but I'll not be using it on live performance. Put it on Craiglist for $20 for someone else to play with. Fun times.
twofarmers

Return to Accessories and Amplification