Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

NORD Grand vs. Kawai MP11SE

Postby trking » 14 Aug 2019, 00:31

So - without being biased - comparing the Kawai MP11SE vs the NORD Grand - given the Kawai has wooden keys vs plastic in the NORD Grand (unless I'm mistaken) - Do any of you have any preferences that you've heard in your comparisons? What finally drove you to purchase the NORD Grand. For one - I like the idea and option of being able to load in the piano samples from NORD - AND I like the Kawai action RH-N???? But - I suppose the real question - WHY the NORD Grand vs. the MP11SE? What finally made you decide on the NORD Grand?
trking

NORD Grand vs. Kawai MP11SE

Sponsor

Re: NORD Grand vs. Kawai MP11SE

Postby HwyStar » 21 Aug 2019, 22:44

I have an MP11 v1, and the keys over time have become heavier. My middle C is now 61-61 grams. There was a none Teflon/felt issue with my keybed and it may have continued on with the MP11SE.

Plus, having the chance to pick and choose what samples to play sounds great compared to the "boring", IMO, samples of the Kawai pianos. I find them, bland. With new samples coming from Nord over time makes it even better. Let's see Kawai do that!
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D
HwyStar

Postby nordkeys » 21 Aug 2019, 23:29

As I posted elsewhere, I think the Nord Grand action is more responsive than the MP11SE. Another big factor is weight - 46 lbs vs 75. Huge difference if you are a gigging musician. And like others have said, your choice of samples is invaluable. One more thing - the controls are setup much better on the Nord Grand, particularly with the sloped panel. Having said this, the only way you will know what is right for you is to try them both.

The author nordkeys was thanked by:
HwyStar
nordkeys

Postby HwyStar » 28 Aug 2019, 14:50

I forgot to mention that with the MP11 series boards you will spend hours of your life digging through menus, on a dinky screen trying to set one parameter. Sometimes, one option at a time. You cannot retain all of the different menu settings and go directly to one option.

If Kawai updated the MP11 to use the iPad/Android app to maintain the board I would still consider it. But, without that I have other things in my life that I want to spend my time on.
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D
HwyStar

Postby musicaldudeist » 13 Nov 2019, 15:26

sweelinck wrote:I don’t know any serious pianist who has compared the MP7SE and MP11SE actions side by side who has preferred the RH-3 action of the MP7SE.

Not to be too pedantic, but what you don't know doesn't really count as evidence one way or the other.
Nord Grand, Nord Wave 2, Yamaha YDP-184, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Studio Logic SL88 Grand, Pianoteq 7 Pro, Garritan CFX, Teenage Engineering OP-1, and a smattering of Ukuleles.
musicaldudeist

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby jaybird » 25 Nov 2019, 17:10

I have owned a Schimmel grand for a couple decades, I love it, I bought the Nord Grand for gigging. The Nord doesn't feel like the Schimmel, I didn't expect it to, but it does feel "real" I suppose I'd say. It's a joy to play, it's a bit lighter and faster than the real grand. In the final analysis you just have to try it I'm afraid, no amount of words are going to help :) I'm extremely pleased with my decision though, thank you Nord!
jaybird

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Grand

Next

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum