Share your complete Nord Stage 3 programs/patches including sample sets (nsmp files) used, including mp3 previews.
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of programs and samples.

If you can help to create this Vietnamese sound

Postby Anh Nguyen » 25 Aug 2019, 16:22

Hi everyone, I am a Vietnamese and have been using Nord for the last 4 years and am currently owning Nord Stage 3. I must be in the rare group of oriental musicians who use Nord because out of the box most of the Nord sound do not help with Far East Asian music and I think it is one of the reasons why majority Asian musicians would go with safe option like Korg, Yamaha or Roland products.

I have been struggling all these years to re-create this Vietnamese instrument sound (please see the youtube link below, ignore the singing). I would appreciate if anyone could help to create this sound as close as you can. Thanks in advance for all your help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vthl0e7tIts

Martin
Anh Nguyen

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

If you can help to create this Vietnamese sound

Sponsor

Re: If you can help to create this Vietnamese sound

Postby analogika » 25 Aug 2019, 19:05

As far as I can see, it’s mostly the playing technique.

I would set the synth to monophonic, pitch bend to -12/+2, and start with the Oud sample from here:

https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... nic-string

Add compression and reverb, push the mids and remove the highs in the EQ, and you should get fairly close, I’d think.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby Anh Nguyen » 25 Aug 2019, 19:50

Maybe it is better I attached here another link from Bolder Sounds, they created a sample of this instrument sound (Dan Bau) but not sure how to replicate on teh Nord Stage 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... EUgLjF30oc
Anh Nguyen

Postby WannitBBBad » 26 Aug 2019, 00:44

analogika wrote:As far as I can see, it’s mostly the playing technique. I would set the synth to monophonic, pitch bend to -12/+2, and start with the Oud sample from here:
https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-lib ... nic-string
Add compression and reverb, push the mids and remove the highs in the EQ, and you should get fairly close, I’d think.

I agree, the technique will make or break this one. I would try the Lute Harp samples too from the link above. Anh, here's a program I've previously posted that you could start with and tweak as noted by analogika - the second slot is already set up with a Pan Flute that you could change for the Oud or Lute Harp sample. You might want to try blending the sample with the synth already programmed, or to capture the multiple styles/attacks on the video, set up the program so you can swap between panel A and panel B depending upon the style you want to play. Take care.
SimpleSynth W.ns3f
Stage 3 SimpleSynth program
(574 Bytes) Downloaded 183 times
Attachments
SimpleSynth W.mp3
MP3 example of SimpleSynth Program
(979.46 KiB) Downloaded 9880 times
Last edited by WannitBBBad on 26 Aug 2019, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Postby Anh Nguyen » 28 Aug 2019, 02:39

Thanks WannitBBBad for putting great effort to help and everyone who made some comments, unfortunately it is still far away from the sound I was looking for. Before I had the gut to post the question for help on here I already did a lot of research as I have been playing many years and owned various Korg, Roland, Yamaha... before I bought my first Nord Stage2 4-5 years ago then upgraded to Stage3. I was also aware Nord recently kindly put some Chinese samples on their website and I went through every single one in that section few months ago but still with no hope.

I understand some comments that the sound based a lot on the technique and mostly using the wheel but it has a distinctive sound which is not easy to replicate even when play a simple note (well not easy for me). Obviously the audience do not expect 100% characteristic of the sound when play on the keyboard (similarly when you play a guitar sound on the keyboard) but they do expect it is close to around 70-80%. Anyway when I posted the question I had very little hope someone would be able to help as it seemed a different world to most of you, you need to understand the sound. But I really like my Nord keyboard and this forum, I used many sound from this forum and keep up good work. Take care everyone.

Thanks again.

Anh
Anh Nguyen

Postby WannitBBBad » 28 Aug 2019, 03:52

You're welcome Anh. My program was not an emulation of the instrument but one I thought might give you something to start with. The long bar on the instrument in the video used for bending notes provides a much better level of control over the pitch than the Stage 3 pitch bar, so the technique on the Nord would be even harder to master. Good luck to you.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage 3 Programs (*.ns3p files)