This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: Next version of MacOS probably doesn't support Sound Man

Postby Schorsch » 15 Aug 2019, 19:37

emelenjr wrote:I'm not using it at all right now, but yes, when I have used it in the past, it's been for quick updates. I don't follow your point, sorry.

Well my point is that you were saying that 32bit software puts strain on your computer, but since it's used only for quick updates it will for sure not impact the use of your computer in a negative way. I therefore don't get your point on why it's so necessary to have Nord Sound Manager in 64bit - there is nothing bad with the 32 bit software at all.

I fully respect your opinion that Nord could have released 64bit versions earlier, but not having done so has zero negative consequences until now for anyone.

However, this discussion reminds me on a topic we had some time ago in this forum, talking about not supporting old generations of Nord products with the most recent technology and features - very unfruitful discussion since there wer two parties defending thier very contrary views on thsi with no chance of consent. Seems that this here is the same kind of discussion, so absolutely not worth to continue - just leave it as it is, no one here will change anything to the current situation
Last edited by Schorsch on 15 Aug 2019, 19:42, edited 3 times in total.
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sponsor

Postby emelenjr » 15 Aug 2019, 19:43

Schorsch wrote:Well my point is that you were saying that 32bit software puts strain on your computer, but since it's used only for quick updates it will for sure not impact the use of your computer in a negative way. I therefore don't get your point on why it's so necessary to have Nord Sound Manager in 64bit - there is nothing bad with the 32 bit software at all.

I fully respect your opinion that Nord could have released 64bit versions earlier, but not having done so has zero negative consequences until now for anyone

I did say that larger DAW apps I use (which are all 64-bit now) put a strain on my computer. I didn't mean to suggest that Sound Manager put a strain on it. Not to rehash the whole argument here, but 64-bit Nord apps are necessary if Clavia wants to continue to support the Mac platform (which they do, I know, I'm not suggesting that's in question.)
emelenjr

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby cgrafx » 15 Aug 2019, 22:09

emelenjr wrote:
cgrafx wrote:This is a non-issue that affects nobody and the compatibility issue will be resolved before it becomes an issue. This entire thread is nothing more than unnecessary hand-wringing at best and trolling at worst.

Please give it a rest. Its a non-issue.

What's with all the gaslighting in here? I'm a member of this forum. I'm a musician. I'm a Nord user—a Clavia customer. Maybe I'm the only guy on earth with a red piano and an old Mac that's running a new OS, but I'm not nobody. It's taken a while to get a response from Clavia, but Clavia did finally respond to me last week, and Clavia disagrees with you.

In what alternate reality does Clavia disagree with me. My specific stated position was Clavia will address the 64-bit OS issue when it is actually an issue, and they are doing exactly that.

When Apple releases their 64-bit only OS, Clavia will have a 64-bit version of the Sound Manager.

All of this saber rattling about the sky falling and the implication that Clavia is not supporting their products properly is just pointless chatter that has accomplished NOTHING.

If you want to run a Beta OS on your computer thats absolutely your prerogative, but making a claim that Clavia has failed to keep up with the times because their software doesn't work on a Non-supported Non-released OS is a baseless claim and should be called out for what it is... (rubbish).

All the worrying about this was pointless, there was Zero reason to believe that this future situation wouldn't be addressed by Clavia (and as expected has been).
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by 2 members, including:
Schorschanalogika
cgrafx

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby emelenjr » 15 Aug 2019, 22:26

cgrafx wrote:In what alternate reality does Clavia disagree with me. My specific stated position was Clavia will address the 64-bit OS issue when it is actually an issue, and they are doing exactly that.

I don't know, cgrafx.

cgrafx wrote:This is a non-issue that affects nobody and the compatibility issue will be resolved before it becomes an issue. This entire thread is nothing more than unnecessary hand-wringing at best and trolling at worst.

That's where you and Clavia disagree. Maybe there's an alternate reality where "It's a non-issue that affects nobody" means what you think it means. /shrug
emelenjr

Postby analogika » 16 Aug 2019, 00:02

You keep saying Clavia “disagrees”.

What gives you that impression? Nothing you have shown seems to indicate that they do.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby emelenjr » 16 Aug 2019, 01:27

analogika wrote:You keep saying Clavia “disagrees”.

What gives you that impression? Nothing you have shown seems to indicate that they do.

analogika, in case you're not being willfully obtuse here and you truly don't understand me, allow me to explain:

1. Clavia is apparently working on a fix for the issue that cgrafx and others in the thread have insisted isn't an issue.
2. If Clavia felt the same way cgrafx and others did, I imagine someone in Stockholm would have told me so instead of acknowledging the issue and inviting me to test out their fix at some point.
3. Based on that response and the work that Clavia is apparently doing at the moment, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Clavia disagrees with cgrafx and others about what is and isn't a issue to fix. In any case, Clavia is not currently following the conventional wisdom in this thread.

Now that I'm actually the one defending what Clavia is currently doing, are we good?

Anyway... My band has another fly date coming up next month where the client is providing all backline. Fingers crossed that I can use Sound Manager again by that date, so I can transfer my customized sound banks over to the rental Nord. if not maybe the rental Nord will be newer than mine and have some newer sounds on it to begin with!
emelenjr

Postby cgrafx » 16 Aug 2019, 02:44

emelnjr,

you clearly just like creating problems that don't exist.

This is NOT an issue for anybody except those people hell bent on creating problems that don't exist.

You have created your own problem by intentionally crippling your computer with a beta OS release that is intended only for testing purposes and you knew before using it that it would break 32-bit apps. Your entire argument is a self inflicted wound.

Put an officially released version of the Mac OS on your computer and you won't have a problem with the existing sound manager.

Clavia doesn't disagree with me or my statement. MY STATEMENT AGAIN.

Clavia will have a 64-bit ready version of the software available for the MAC platform when Apple releases their 64-bit Only version (or soon after).

Clavia sound manager does not currently have any issue running on ANY currently shipping supported OS (BETA SOFTWARE IS NOT SHIPPING OR SUPPORTED)

The only person being obtuse here is you.

At this point I will officially call this what it is.. Your a troll and I'm done.
Last edited by cgrafx on 16 Aug 2019, 02:46, edited 2 times in total.
Current Gear: NS3C, Alesis QS6.1, QS7.1 & QS8.2, Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, Yamaha CP70, Yamaha C3 6' Grand, Roland D-05, Roland AX-Edge, Waldorf Blofeld Keyboard, Behringer Arp Odyssey

The author cgrafx was thanked by:
Schorsch
cgrafx

Postby CountFosco » 16 Aug 2019, 08:02

Still, does give you something to read of a morning over coffee. Happy Friday all!

The author CountFosco was thanked by 4 members, including:
ajstanSchorschanalogikacgrafx
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby analogika » 16 Aug 2019, 09:16

emelenjr wrote:
analogika wrote:You keep saying Clavia “disagrees”.

analogika, in case you're not being willfully obtuse here and you truly don't understand me, allow me to explain:

1. Clavia is apparently working on a fix for the issue that cgrafx and others in the thread have insisted isn't an issue.
2. If Clavia felt the same way cgrafx and others did, I imagine someone in Stockholm would have told me so instead of acknowledging the issue and inviting me to test out their fix at some point.
3. Based on that response and the work that Clavia is apparently doing at the moment, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Clavia disagrees with cgrafx and others about what is and isn't a issue to fix. In any case, Clavia is not currently following the conventional wisdom in this thread.

Now that I'm actually the one defending what Clavia is currently doing, are we good?

Anyway... My band has another fly date coming up next month where the client is providing all backline. Fingers crossed that I can use Sound Manager again by that date, so I can transfer my customized sound banks over to the rental Nord. if not maybe the rental Nord will be newer than mine and have some newer sounds on it to begin with!

The “conventional wisdom” in this thread is that

1.) OF COURSE Clavia are working on a solution, because they’ve known that this was coming for at least five years.

2.) They are under NO obligation to release a 64-bit version of anything before Apple actually release Catalina.

3.) Not releasing a 64-bit Version before the official release of Catalina does not constitute “running late”, let alone failure on Clavia’s part.

4.) Running a beta operating system on your main or only machine is a really dumb idea, especially if you use it for work.

5.) Any Problems you encounter running that beta OS — be it the inability to run certain software, functionality not being available, or actual data loss — are entirely and totally your own fault and responsibility, as detailed in the beta release agreement you clicked through.

6.) Clavia know what they are doing.

7.) You don’t.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
Schorsch
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby emelenjr » 16 Aug 2019, 13:53

What a disappointment this whole experience has been. I spotted a discussion thread in this forum that talked about something I cared about. I entered the discussion by helpfully confirming something the original poster said "probably" would be the case. And right away I seem to have interrupted this giant Nord user circle jerk.

You told me that there is nothing wrong with Clavia's software. You told that I'm wrong to suggest that there's an issue. You told me by beta testing a new OS, I deliberately crippled my Mac. You told that this issue affects nobody. And finally you told me that *I'm* the one being the troll. I'm literally the only person in this thread who provided verified information. I confirmed the original poster's suspicion about Nord's software not working in Catalina, and most recently I confirmed (via communication from Clavia) that Clavia is working on a fix. That you think I'm the one trolling tells me everything I need to know about the way this forum works.

If you ask me, it also explains why Clavia doesn't host this forum. It also explains why Clavia personnel don't (publicly) enter these discussions and offer product support. The culture here doesn''t make Clavia look good and I'm not surprised that Clavia doesn't (publicly) want any part of it. If the full throated defense of Clavia isn't due to actual Clavia personnel participating in the discussion,I suspect that it's the high price point for Clavia's hardware that leads many of you to bury your heads in the sand because you don't want to entertain the idea that the expensive thing you purchased has a flaw here or there.

It's hard to decide whose reply I'm looking forward to the most. Anyway, enjoy your Stockholm Syndrome.
emelenjr

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum