This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Appreciating values for older Nords? Collectible?

Postby cphollis » 14 Aug 2019, 04:27

The logic should be straightforward: newer Nords should be more valuable than older Nords. Except ... the older Nords bring most of the sonic firepower, play all the samples, etc. And as I probe resale value, it's quite impressive.

I would expect anything electronic to depreciate quickly over time. Computers, phones, etc. This is most definitely not the case with Nords. More like a fine, collectable instrument it seems.

As Exhibit 1, I have a Nord Electro 4D. Great board, but one sound at a time. No splits, no layers. Primitive LED display. Puny memory. That being said, it's a fun keybed, easy control surface, looks awesome, major tone, etc. It's still a blast to play.

When I bring it out, people comment.

On reverb.com, they seem to be going for around ~$1500. I didn't pay all that more for mine when I bought B-stock many years ago. Obviously, people want them. The units that show up on reverb.com are gone quickly. BTW, $1500 for a 61-key instrument buys you serious firepower in both the new and used category. Something is going on.

As Exhibit 2, there's my lovely Nord Piano 2, which -- despite its unimproved yet adequate action -- continues to deliver serious joy. Very limited piano memory. All the reverb.com offers are right around $2K, which is -- err -- close to what I paid way back when. Including the super-fragile triple pedal. Say what you want about this piano action, etc. -- people are putting up good money for this board.

And, finally, there's Exhibit 3, a Nord Stage 2 76 with a weighted keybed - not the EX. They're going for $3000. Jeez. I paid, like $3300 for mine as B-stock so many years ago. I sold it to a friend for a whole lot less (replaced with a NS3C) and holy moly did he get a deal. I made sure they knew about it so they wouldn't sell it cheap.

Bottom line: I am convinced that many Nords hold their value in a way you wouldn't expect. And -- given time -- I would expect a few of them to be collectible. Or there's something completely weird going on that I haven't figured out.
Last edited by cphollis on 14 Aug 2019, 04:36, edited 2 times in total.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Appreciating values for older Nords? Collectible?

Sponsor

Re: Appreciating values for older Nords? Collectible?

Postby alex78 » 14 Aug 2019, 15:39

I can understand that some boards can turn to be collective items, like Nord modulars or Nord waves. Those boards never upgraded to a higher level (even if they could) but the sonic power they deliver keep them still in the game! I believe I am very lucky to get a NW in the stealing price of 650€, if only I knew they would cost double on reverb after some months...I could by another one I found for 750 and resell it!
However, concerning boards like electros and stages whose new features give even more quality to their awesome sound, I also can not understand why the price of the older models is still so high. I guess it has to do with the limited number of items produced in comparison with the big manufacturers like Roland, Korg and Yamaha...
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Schorsch » 14 Aug 2019, 17:19

Yeah, lot's of offers on eBay are wishful thinking ..... I always look at the offers which really have been sold for a certain product, to get a feeling of the real market price which people had been willing to pay, and then check this against my very personal feeling of what I would be ready to pay. If this fits and I see a product in this price range I gonna buy it, if the available offerings are above I just ignore them, But at some point of time there is always one who will pay the requested price if the seller just waits long enough - stupid but true
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby derrellpiper » 15 Aug 2019, 07:56

I'll put it this way, I've had a lot of Nord stuff and I kept my Lead 3 and Rack 3. I hated the A1 for lack of aftertouch and funky MIDI, the Piano 3 was starved for memory, the 3P had intolerable noise and funky MIDI, and my Stage 3 woes are elsewhere here. Suffice it to say, it wasn't for me. It could be great for you, but I ended up with an MP11SE and I now have the studio piano keyboard I was looking for, but I sure wouldn't want to tour with it, it's very heavy. It plays like a real grand and it's actually a decent MIDI controller, you could even live on it standalone if you were a starving music student, it saves to USB on front, and records, has a metronome, it just a lot of things. And it's a great digital piano, maybe not as good as a Roland V-Piano but a lot cheaper. I'd probably have a StudioLogic SL88 Grand if I hadn't gone with the Kawai. For the price, the MP11SE is a great.
Last edited by derrellpiper on 15 Aug 2019, 08:00, edited 3 times in total.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.
derrellpiper

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead 3

Postby Spider » 15 Aug 2019, 11:10

I think the only Nord which can really be considered a collector's item is the original Nord Lead with the slanted corners. It has an iconic look and was a breakthrough instrument for many reasons.
No surprise you see them on offer for unreasonable prices, usually higher than the more recent Lead models. And still we're not talking about thousands of $: IF it can be considered a collector's item, it's a very cheap one. Nowhere near any vintage analog.

All other Nords IMHO are not collectibles and most definitely do not appreciate over time. They simply lose value slower than other brands, because they're great instruments and they're built like tanks, so you can buy a 10-year old used one and trust it to last as much.
Last edited by Spider on 15 Aug 2019, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Return to General Nord Forum