This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Sample Editor - Help Needed - Cutting WAV file short

Postby ajstan » 10 Aug 2019, 01:45

I'm in a time-sensitive bind and hope someone can help. I just received a set of 6 short sound-effect samples that I need to put into a NSMP file for my NS3 for a gig for tomorrow (Saturday) where I have to leave the house by 8:15am.

Five of the files work great, but the sixth file (about two seconds in length) is giving me problems. I'm hoping one of you can help.

On the "Audio/File Assign" tab the five "good" files are highlighted in yellow in the waveform window for the entire WAV file, but the sixth only has the first 300ms or so highlighted in yellow. It seems that NSM is doing some type of automatic truncation of the WAV file, but I don't see where to adjust it.

Any ideas of what I need to do to get the entire two seconds to play? Thanks.
Attachments
Bad sample.PNG
Bad Sample
Bad sample.PNG (11.51 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Good sample.PNG
Good Sample
Good sample.PNG (13.48 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Last edited by ajstan on 10 Aug 2019, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Sample Editor - Help Needed - Cutting WAV file short

Sponsor

Re: Sample Editor - Help Needed - Cutting WAV file short

Postby ajstan » 10 Aug 2019, 05:14

Bump. Hopefully my friends in Europe will see this and have some ideas to share by the time I wake up in the morning.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Postby Mr_-G- » 10 Aug 2019, 12:08

Hi, can't you just drag the boundaries of the yellow boxes?
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby ajstan » 10 Aug 2019, 14:00

Thanks for the idea. No, I couldn’t just drag it. I needed to activate the Manual Sample Assign box at the bottom of the screen and set the sample length there. I can’t recall how I did it, but it worked. I’m off to the gig, but will see if I can post an update tomorrow in case someone else runs into the same issue. Sometimes automation is helpful and sometimes it isn’t.
ajstan

Postby pablomastodon » 13 Aug 2019, 06:51

Start/stop/loop points (or no loop) settings are all on the 2nd tab of the software. You can make it do what you want from there.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun

The author pablomastodon was thanked by:
ajstan
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby ajstan » 14 Aug 2019, 01:51

pablomastodon wrote:Start/stop/loop points (or no loop) settings are all on the 2nd tab of the software. You can make it do what you want from there.

Bless, Pablo

Hi Pablo - I may be missing something, but for me the second tab only works with the length of sample set on the first tab, "Audio File/Assign" (the yellow highlighted section). I couldn't see a way to increase the length of the yellow area on the second tab, only shrink the portion of the sample set on the first tab.

NOTE: I think that NSE saw my WAV file as multiple samples and was trying to help me by clipping it, so my sample was cut short. I'm thinking that the other WAV files I was adding didn't have the long break like the problematic file so the rest were set to the correct entire length:

The Solution

What I Did to Get The Problem:
- Add file.
- Under "Multi Sample Per File Assign" Set Start Key to C8, click "Assign" button.
- I get the partial yellow highlighted sample (as in the screen shot attached in the original post) and only the first 300ms or so plays.
- I didn't know that only a portion of the sample was used until I assigned it to C8.

What I did to Fix:
- Click and drag to select the entire WAV file. The "Manual Sample Assign" section becomes active.
- In "Manual Sample Assign" section I can't set "Root Key" to C8 because it's already used, so I have to click "Deassign All".
- After that, I can set "Root Key" to C8 in the "Manual Sample Assign" section and click the "Assign" button.
- Since I wanted a one-shot sample to play all the way through once, go to the second tab, "Sample Loop/Stop", and select "No Loop" to remove the loop that was automatically applied.

What I Should Have Done in the First Place:
- Add file.
- Click and drag to select the entire WAV file. The "Manual Sample Assign" section becomes active.
- In "Manual Sample Assign" section, set "Root Key" to C8 and click the "Assign" button.
- Since I wanted a one-shot sample to play all the way through once, go to the second tab, "Sample Loop/Stop", and select "No Loop" to remove the loop that was automatically applied.

Hope this is helpful to someone down the line.

The author ajstan was thanked by:
Tracii
ajstan

Return to General Nord Forum