Please Nord, a decent controller keyboard !

This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.
maxpiano
Patch Creator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Re: Please Nord, a decent controller keyboard !

Post by maxpiano »

Leo Castro wrote:Some old samplers can send and receive wav samples over midi....

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Of course, as "sample dump", not realtime audio... ;)
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

maxpiano wrote:
pablomastodon wrote: since when was it possible to "do audio over MIDI?"
Oh I didn't catch that, but I am sure anotherscott meant USB, not MIDI
Yup, that's what I meant, fixed, thanks!
stringtapper
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Post by stringtapper »

Evans The Song wrote:I've never understood why you don't find more controller keyboards with a decent audio interface built-in? Seems an obvious thing to do to me and would save having extra clutter when using a laptop on stage.
I remember my old Novation X-Station was like this, but it's so old I haven't used it in years.

Is anyone making something like this in 2019?

A MIDI controller with weighted action and a built in interface that's tailor made for running a laptop setup is something I would definitely be interested in. Something like a Kawai VPC-1 with the functionality of a Radial Key Largo built into it. :)
Nord Stage 3 Compact 73//Korg SV-1 88//Radial Key Largo//Boss FS-7//Moog EP-3 x2//2016 MacBook Pro//MainStage 3//Omnisphere 2.6//Komplete 12
Evans The Song
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by Evans The Song »

JiminWales wrote:I suppose it could be called the "Stage Centre".
Or the 'Centre Stage' maybe?!

Nice to know there are other Welsh Nord users on here by the way! :thumbup:
Evans The Song
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave 2

Post by Evans The Song »

stringtapper wrote:A MIDI controller with weighted action and a built in interface that's tailor made for running a laptop setup is something I would definitely be interested in. Something like a Kawai VPC-1 with the functionality of a Radial Key Largo built into it. :)
I guess Novation would be the obvious manufacturer because they are so closely associated with Focusrite (possibly even the same company?). If it were to have a magnetic panel to hold a laptop (like StudioLogic do on their SL controllers) even better! I can't recall Novation ever making a 76 or 88 note weighted piano-style controller - one with a simple built-in 2-in, 2-out audio interface would be great.

Sorry, this hasn't got much to do with Nord anymore :oops:
Last edited by Evans The Song on 11 Jun 2019, 21:15, edited 1 time in total.
tesladan

Post by tesladan »

maxpiano wrote:
pablomastodon wrote:but....don't hold your breath for that one. Chances of that happening are roughly equivalent to chances of the orangutan currently residing in the White House admitting that it was all a joke and resigning his office.
You made me chuckle, thanks Pablo! :mrgreen:
made me laugh too

Dan
Ritchie333
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Post by Ritchie333 »

I'm struggling to find a lighter replacement for my trusty Fatar Studiologic; while the piano / mellotron strings combination via the Stage 2 can still make women go faint at the knees and swoon in admiration (although I may be exaggerating a bit), I'm not exactly getting any younger and if I manage to do my back in, that's going to be no gigging at all. :(

I had a glance at the Hammond SK-X the other day, and it does what no Nord can do - have two manuals, allowing one hand to play piano and the other covering organ and synth, without having to go through the rigamole of setting up a controller keyboard with a separate power supply and all the connecting wires, plus a two-tier stand. The Stage still wins because of the greater variety of instruments, but I can't believe I'm the only person out there who would really like a two-manual general purpose keyboard. Even 73 semi weighted would do. Failing that, just a Nord Piano without the piano would be ideal.
pablomastodon wrote:Chances of that happening are roughly equivalent to chances of the orangutan currently residing in the White House admitting that it was all a joke and resigning his office.
I realise that politics are off-topic in this place, but I have been to quite a few anti-Brexit and Trump marches over the past year or so. There are a couple of regulars at jam nights that I know think the opposite to me on these issues, and fortunately music is the one thing that we've all still got in common!
Rob Millis
Donator
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Post by Rob Millis »

pablomastodon wrote: but to lighten the mood, here's an easy DIY job, cobbled together from Fatar 49 and 610+ and an old Anatek Pocket Merge
I think cobbled together is selling it short, Pablo. Once upon a time Elka would have made something looking uncannily like that and called it a f**king flagship model.
Ritchie333 wrote: I realise that politics are off-topic in this place, but I have been to quite a few anti-Brexit and Trump marches over the past year or so. There are a couple of regulars at jam nights that I know think the opposite to me on these issues, and fortunately music is the one thing that we've all still got in common!
Good for you, mate. I must admit I do struggle with British gigging muscians supporting Brexit. And this isn't any kind of arrogant assumed cultural superiority, either, but rather practicality: do they not remember the effing carnet and the tedious border wait when every item of equipment was laboriously inspected?
Last edited by Rob Millis on 28 Jun 2019, 23:51, edited 2 times in total.
Twickenham's wayward son.
romelio
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Post by romelio »

Why would a nord controller be interesting? To me, look! I would love to!
Think of a standard model, varying in the amount of keys (61, 73, 76, 88), like the Hammond XK lower but red, that fits perfectly under a Stage or Electro, forming a hammond cabinet style furniture?
romelio
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord C2D

Post by romelio »

Also think of the C2D, two fantastic 16kg keyboards!
But why not make an electro like that? Cost? So a nord controller would solve the issue.