Everything about the Clavia Nord Modular G2, G1, and Micromodular Synthesizers.

G2 editor and Mac OS X 64 bit os

Postby Mcsonord » 01 Aug 2019, 14:03

Hi do you Nord boffins,
Have a solution to running the g2 modular editor software on a 64 bit only Mac OS X.
The next OS 10.15 (Catalina) will not run at all with 32 bit apps.
I am ok at the moment as it runs ok as far as I am aware in Sierra. Also both my machines can run Snow leopard which it definitely works in, but in the interests of future proofing...
Also does anybody have the installer app for the windows version and if so which versions of Windows is it ok with?
Cheers dudes
Mcsonord

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Drum 2

G2 editor and Mac OS X 64 bit os

Sponsor

Re: G2 editor and Mac OS X 64 bit os

Postby pablomastodon » 01 Aug 2019, 20:09

G2 Editor still working fine with Win 10 for me with nary a hiccup.

Bless, Pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby maxpiano » 01 Aug 2019, 20:29

A Win10 (or earlier) Virtual machine running on mac OS should be a workable solution for Mac users to use the G2 Editor on Catalina. The app is still downloadable from Nordkeyboards https://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads ... modular-g2
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Aug 2019, 20:33, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby SYS2064 » 21 Oct 2019, 01:33

to be honest, I hope that Nord will build a 64bit versione of the sw. It's a really little piece of sw and the G2 is useless without it.
SYS2064

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Modular

Postby maxpiano » 21 Oct 2019, 07:28

SYS2064 wrote:to be honest, I hope that Nord will build a 64bit versione of the sw. It's a really little piece of sw and the G2 is useless without it.

The G2 is discontinued since many years (10), tell me of other brand/models discontinued so long which are having its editor updated today, I see none; hoping its editor will be updated now is ... (choose yourself the adjective), better to accept this and use the last editor with the "tricks" suggested on a Mac or keep/buy an old PC with a compatible version of Windows, just for that purpose (maybe a cheap Win10 tablet would work as well).

PS: hi and welcome to NUF...
Last edited by maxpiano on 27 Oct 2019, 17:29, edited 5 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
pablomastodon
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby SYS2064 » 27 Oct 2019, 00:50

maxpiano wrote:
SYS2064 wrote:to be honest, I hope that Nord will build a 64bit versione of the sw. It's a really little piece of sw and the G2 is useless without it.

The G2 is discontinued since many years (10), tell me of other brand/models discontinued so long which who are having its editor updated today, I see none; hoping its editor will be updated now is ... (choose yourself the adjective), better to accept this and use the last editor with the "tricks" suggested on a Mac or keep/buy an old PC with a compatible version of Windows, just for that purpose (maybe a cheap Win10 tablet would work as well).

PS: hi and welcome to NUF...

I'm talking about to recompile some lines of code on a Mac, not to rewrite the entire firmware. With a very little bit effort, Nord could show to be a real client oriented company, and not only to Modular owners.
IMHO

ps thanks
SYS2064

Postby jamesattfield » 27 Oct 2019, 12:29

SYS2064 wrote:I'm talking about to recompile some lines of code on a Mac, not to rewrite the entire firmware. With a very little bit effort, Nord could...

There is a lot more to bringing 10-year old software up to date than just 're-compiling some lines of code'. Compilers change, operating systems change internally, some needed functionality can become deprecated. There is a job of work to be done to assess feasibility of updating internal firmware plus the user interface before work to 'compile some lines of code' can even begin. Even if done, a company like Nord would probably not publish it without considering support implications for the user base. To suggest that Nord don't do it just because they are not a caring company is unfair and demonstrates a lack of knowledge of the software development process. The G2 modular is a fine piece of equipment and with a little creativity can continue to be so for many years to come.
James

Yamaha EX5, AN1X, TG500, Moog Werkstatt, Korg Wavestation SR, Sigma, Legacy Digital, Nord Modular G2, G2 Engine, Focusrite PRO 40, MIDISPORT 8x8/s, Uno, Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, BeatStep, V Collection, Pigments | Love keyboards but so little time :(
jamesattfield

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Modular

Postby dhbp-nord » 27 Oct 2019, 17:28

No other music vendor does this, why should Nord. They are a business like all the others.

D.
-Nord Stage 3 88
-Novation SL MKII 61
-Rise 2
-Alesis Q88
-Roland AX-09
-Focusrite 18i20
-ASUS ROG laptop, 32gb, 6 TB SSDs, Win11, Ableton 11, Reaper
-Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian
-Arturia, Komplete, IK suites
-Behringer X18
-StagePas 400i
-EV ZLX-15BT
dhbp-nord

Postby pablomastodon » 31 Oct 2019, 04:31

anyone who feels that their G2 is now worthless is invited to ship their worthless G2 to me...I'll even cover shipping costs
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby SYS2064 » 02 Nov 2019, 16:03

jamesattfield wrote:
SYS2064 wrote:I'm talking about to recompile some lines of code on a Mac, not to rewrite the entire firmware. With a very little bit effort, Nord could...

...To suggest that Nord don't do it just because they are not a caring company is unfair and demonstrates a lack of knowledge of the software development process. The G2 modular is a fine piece of equipment and with a little creativity can continue to be so for many years to come.

I worked in the IT since 1985, I think that I'm able to say that modify a little app (as the G2 editor) to run on a 64bit environment is a little (little) effort.
In my opinion, Nord makes great hw and poor sw, they should pay more attention to sw. The note: "To launch on macOS Catalina: Control + Click on App..." because the developer of Nord Sound Manager v7.52 cannot be verified, is ridicoulus for a company like Nord.
Anyway, I will try to compile (Delphi, not C :| ) and use the following open source editor, found on electro-music.com forum, and, in the meantime, I will install Mojavi on new volume to use the G2 editor by Clavia.

https://github.com/BVerhue/nord_g2_editor
Last edited by SYS2064 on 02 Nov 2019, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
SYS2064

Next

Return to Nord Modular Forum