Share and download User samples and project files (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4, *.nsmproj)"
Forum rules
How to get the MP3-Player:
Upload a MP3 file where you play some notes using your sample.
Click the "PLACE INLINE" button after uploading the MP3 sample in order to automatically create a Flash MP3 player in your post!
Also check the Forum Rules, in particular rule #6 about the sharing of patches and samples.

Looking for 80's synth samples for NS3 (Eve of the War)

Postby Fawkz » 23 Jul 2019, 19:21

Hey!
I've been asked to play a gig, and one of the songs they're doing is The Eve of the War, by Jeff Wayne.
This song has some incredible synths sounds in it, here's a link:
Watch on youtube.com

I'm specifically looking for the sounds (or something that sounds similar) at 1:33 and 1:48 and at 2:35.
Any help would be appreciated :D
Fawkz

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Looking for 80's synth samples for NS3 (Eve of the War)

Sponsor

Re: Looking for 80's synth samples for NS3 (Eve of the War)

Postby CountFosco » 23 Jul 2019, 20:59

Damn I used to love that album when I was a kid. I always thought some of the songs were out of context though, and they kind of massaged the story so they could include them. The oo laa thing in this track used to scare the willies out of me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb4BWSUV8mM
Good luck with the patches, that'll be a fun project.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Re: Looking for 80's synth samples for NS3 (Eve of the War)

Postby MvanD » 24 Jul 2019, 12:12

Try looking for ARP Odyssey and Yamaha CS80 sounds.
The sounds can be made with VST's, but you will have to be creative.

From this article:
"The opening horns and main pipes in the Eve Of The War are CS80 sounds, but the 'rubberbands' and drones are all Oddity.
... Ken was unbelievable: I would play him the sound I was after, and within a few minutes, he would have the Oddity sounding exactly like the Odyssey did!
... The same was true for the CS80 sounds, although there I had to get a bit creative in my programming too, because Ken used to open the original one up and make mods with his soldering iron! As an example, for the horns of the Eve of the War, Ken made a mod that the plugin could not replicate: he stopped the second bank of oscillators from responding to the Initial Bend slider on the CS80. As a result, one bank played straight while the other had the front bend, creating a much more realistic horn attack. In order to get the same sound, I am running two instances of the CS80V plugin, one playing only the first oscillator bank with the bend on, and the other the second bank without the initial bend."
Last edited by MvanD on 24 Jul 2019, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
MvanD
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Return to Nord User Samples (*.nsmp, *.nsmp3, *.nsmp4 files)