Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.

Re: Nord grand

Postby Rychubil » 11 Jul 2019, 19:43

Another one review from Andertons:
https://youtu.be/8Yc1Aqq1ZFQ
Kawai VPC1 | Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR80i
Rychubil

Your Nord Gear #1: Other Brand

Sponsor

Postby SteveNordP3 » 13 Jul 2019, 22:58

Rychubil wrote:Another one review from Andertons:

I love that guy! Would love to have a beer with him some day...

In the meantime, his video is very cool to get features and sounds but he’s not the right guy to describe the feel. He’s more of an electronic keyboard player (vs acoustic) so he can tell the Feel is different but he can’t explain what’s going on :wtf:

Still. Love it. Dagnabbit - gonna have to test one out and probably break the piggy bank to get one... CURSE YOU NORD!!!!

:lol:
SteveNordP3

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Postby Rychubil » 14 Jul 2019, 00:35

SteveNordP3 wrote:
Rychubil wrote:Another one review from Andertons:

... he’s not the right guy to describe the feel. He’s more of an electronic keyboard player (vs acoustic) so he can tell the Feel is different but he can’t explain what’s going on :wtf:

First time I didn't like this guy for his gesticulations and typical british silly/funny sense of humour and still I don't like it.
However I really appreciate his style of presentation of piano sounds. He is giving a lot time for resounds and decay of piano samples for listeners, oposite to other superfast nord presenters.
BRAVO Jack!

Unfortunately I agree - He is unable to explain properly how the keyboard action really is from pianist point of view.
Pity.
Last edited by Rychubil on 14 Jul 2019, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
Kawai VPC1 | Pianoteq 6 Pro | Synthogy Ivory II | Production Voices | Roland Quad Capture | Neumann KH120 | Grado SR80i
Rychubil

Postby HwyStar » 14 Jul 2019, 00:49

I am in the queue to get one from Sweetwater the first week of August. Hopefully, I placed my order before they run out of the first batch.

I will be using it strictly as a practice piano to augment playing my grand piano. I will chime in here and do my best to describe how the action feels using the Nord samples. I hope the sounds are easy to pull out of the action and respond as a grand does. I am also hoping that the action has a down weight of around 50-54. My hands are pretty beat up at this point and I do not want to play a train wreck.
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D
HwyStar

Postby Rychubil » 28 Jul 2019, 00:53

Hi Everyone!
I am after a short visit in music store and again I was playing on Nord Grand.
I've already written about my impressions of playing on the Nord Grand keyboard in previous post but I would like to add some new impressions.
IMHO Kawai RH-N keyboard in Nord Grand is quite balanced in the action weight - is not too light and not too heavy. It's fast, not spongy and allows to control dynamics very well - much better than in the Nord Piano 4.
Here are my short videos recorded in the slow motion mode, on the Nord Grand keyboard action:
https://youtu.be/FinhFsIOU4A
https://youtu.be/GaqUj1Pmzps

For comparison, one day before in another music store, I had opportunity to play on Kawai CA48 (Grand Feel Compact keyboard action). Knowing Grand Feel 2 keyboard action I wasn't so impressed like I expected but of course, overall impressions of the Grand Feel Compact keyboard were good but somehow I am not miss to have for example GFC in the Nord Grand instead the RH-N one.

I also played a little bit on Korg SV-1 - just for keyboard action, cause there is the same RH3 keyboard action like in the Korg Grandstage, which I am also interested in and I have to admit, that this keyboard action is not too bad but for me, the Nord RH-N action wins!

Another one interesting fact, which also surprised me in the store and I wasn't aware before, was a noticable difference between two the same Fatar TP40 keyboards in the Nord Piano 4 and Nord Stage 3.
Fatar of Nord Piano 4 is not only heavier than the action of the Nord Stage 3 but also Fatar in the Nord Stage 3 has more noticable escapement than in the Nord Piano 4.

The author Rychubil was thanked by:
HwyStar
Rychubil

Postby HwyStar » 28 Jul 2019, 12:36

Thanks for the post and the videos Rychubil! I will be sure to post my impressions of the NG when it arrives. (08/07 - 08/14)
Nord Grand (Yes, I would buy a new one if it was stolen!), iMac 2017, Sennheiser 650, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3D

The author HwyStar was thanked by:
Rychubil
HwyStar

Postby Rychubil » 28 Jul 2019, 12:46

HwyStar wrote:Thanks for the post and the videos Rychubil! I will be sure to post my impressions of the NG when it arrives. (08/07 - 08/14)

Your welcome :thanks:
I will be waiting for your comments :keyboard2:
Rychubil

Postby solmaster » 29 Jul 2019, 20:28

Yesterday I spent quite a long time with the Nord Grand in Guitar Guitar Glasgow. As a Nord user, I am very familiar with all the piano samples, (which in my opinion are the best sounding of any portable keyboard) so I was only really there to see how it felt to play, rather than how it sounded.
I own a Yamaha U3, which I play a lot at home, so I was comparing the action to that, rather than my Stage 3.
First of all, I didn't want to stop playing it (which says rather a lot!)
Secondly, I left thinking that's the closest keyboard feel to a real acoustic piano keybed. It really was that good.
If you were a pianist looking for a portable unit to do solo work, accompanying vocalists or part of a small combo, look no further, it's really that good to play.
The question might now be whether Nord will continue with their Piano 4, apart from the obvious price difference.
Due to the various types of music and groups I play in, the Stage is still the do it all workhorse, but if I did more solo and accompaniment work, it would be the Nord Grand all the way.
solmaster

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby HwyStar » 29 Jul 2019, 20:36

Thanks for the review, SolMaster! I have high hopes that the NG will be what I am looking for in a "stay at home" practice piano.
Last edited by HwyStar on 29 Jul 2019, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
HwyStar

Postby cphollis » 29 Jul 2019, 21:05

Thanks to all here, the anecdotal evidence is starting to stack up -- Nord got the keybed right on this one. The usual disclaimers: not everyone is looking for the same thing in keybed feel, other attributes might be important to you, etc.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Piano / Grand Forum