Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Convert Nord Electro 5D to mono signal

Postby tombitondo » 06 Jul 2019, 01:01

Hi Folks,

(note: this was cross-posted to the keyboard corner on musicplayer network forums...)

Just picked up a Radial Mix 2:1 2 channel passive mixer.

My intention is to convert the stereo signal from my Nord Electro 5D into a good, usable mono signal. (The Nord has NO dedicated mono output)

Any tips or tricks for how to best make use of it?
It's dead simple - just plug in the left and right outputs of the Nord and then take the mono output of the box.

Anything I should be cautious of?

Thanks in advance!
Tom
tombitondo

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Convert Nord Electro 5D to mono signal

Sponsor

Re: Convert Nord Electro 5D to mono signal

Postby Ledbetter » 06 Jul 2019, 05:54

Many piano samples are stereo samples. Some are mono samples. Search this forum for “mono.” Some posters on Keyboard Corner discussed phase cancellation if you merge L+R. And taking the left (or right) channel only does not give the best sound. Best to use a mono piano sample if that’s what you want. Organs (and many sampled instruments) are mono, but effects like rotary and echo can make them stereo.

Search this thread for “mono” and try the mono piano samples that will pop up. Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Cheers.
Nord Stage 3, Electro 5D, 4D, Lead 2x, Moog Voyager, Little and Slim Phatties, Kawai KG-2C 6 foot grand,
Ledbetter
Donator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby maxpiano » 06 Jul 2019, 13:16

If you have 2 channels available you can use the Output routing option of System menu:

11 - OUTPUT ROUTING MODE
can be set to the default Stereo option or to the PartL : L, PartU : R setting. In Stereo mode Part lower and Part Upper will be routed to both outputs, in stereo. With the PartL : L, PartU : R setting Part lower is routed to the left output and Part Upper to the right, both being in mono.

Since there is only one instance of each effects unit, applying Rotary or EQ to both Part Lower and Part Upper will route both sounds to the Left output when not using the Stereo setting.
Last edited by maxpiano on 08 Jul 2019, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby tombitondo » 08 Jul 2019, 00:16

Update: I got to the gig and the soundguy offered to run me in stereo!!!

SO, never tried the Radial.

Truthfully, I'm more interested in using it with a single small speaker like my Barbetta.

My feeling, after reading all the responses above, is that through a big PA system, using the Left output and setting the piano to "mono" would probably suffice.

But with a smaller keyboard amp, I'm hoping the Radial will make a difference.

To be continued....and thanks so far for all of the great insight!!! ;)
Last edited by tombitondo on 08 Jul 2019, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
tombitondo

Postby baekgaard » 08 Jul 2019, 08:39

Yes, using the mono button should do the trick. Or using one output only - when playing with a bass player, I prefer using the right channel only instead of the left, to get a little more RHS piano and a little less bass, so experiment a bit work that too.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Electro Forum