General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

NS3 synth issues

Postby peteques » 30 Jun 2019, 22:42

Hi all,
Prob lots of stupid ques coming up. Ive spent my life on pianos and NS3 is the 1st time Ive used a synth engine. Anyhow Ive been listening to synth samples and thinking they sound nothing like what the display says - so Trumpet 1 did not sound like a trumpet! I then found out Trumpet 1 sounds differently depending upon which Program Bank I was on - prob because of the parameters of how it was saved on the synth - am I right in saying that?

Secondly, I was on a particular program bank and found some samples I really liked. If I wanted to replicate that sound - how do I find out which synth parameters they were saved on does that make sense? So where the physical dials and knobs are set is irrelevant until you start to change them. So how do I find the parameters?

If any of this makes sense, thanks in advance for any help. Pete :)
peteques

NS3 synth issues

Sponsor

Re: NS3 synth issues

Postby baekgaard » 01 Jul 2019, 01:32

Press the monitor button (just above shift) and touch the dial/button you want to see the value of, and check the display to read its (unmorphed) value.

You can also save all synth settings as a synth preset and select that in the synth - use the dial in list mode to browse those. Read the manual for details.
Last edited by baekgaard on 01 Jul 2019, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby stopmakingsense » 06 Jul 2019, 15:36

You can also copy and paste bank A or bank B, to another bank in the same program or another program.
Just hold down Copy at the same time as one of the banks. Get to the bank you want to copy to and hit Shift Past while holding down the bank button.

Note: Lot's of great tutorials online. Google Nord Tutorial Marc Matt has good one's too.
Last edited by stopmakingsense on 06 Jul 2019, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
stopmakingsense

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby WannitBBBad » 06 Jul 2019, 22:12

I've posted this elsewhere, but an excellent source of information on synthesizers and the keys to programming is the collection of SOS magazine old articles called Synth Secrets at https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... d-on-sound (thanks Mr_-G- for the link!). A whole set of Nord tutorials by member "My Keys to Music" can be found on the YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_xKuR ... BvAc63Y9qw (thanks Marc!). I hope these help get you started on programming the synth. Take care.
Nord Stage 3 | SC Prophet T8 | Korg X50... In the past: Nord Stage EX, 2, 2EX | SC Prophet 5, 10 | MiniMoog | Hammond B3 & 122 Leslie | Yamaha DX7IIFD, EX5, CP60 | Hohner D6 | Fender Rhodes | Roland S-50, D-50, XP-50...
WannitBBBad
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Return to Nord Stage Forum