Present yourself, your keyboard rig and your music, including links to your myspace, band websites, competitions etc.

My journey to acoustic

Postby kirsty » 20 Jun 2019, 19:45

Hi all

Ive been on the forum for a bit, those who have read my posts will know me as a bit of a detail geek. Ive gone through several boards before I worked my way up to the magnificent Stage 3. Like many I chased that perfect piano sound and as far as digital instruments go the Nord is about as close as that gets for me.

So .... a little story that is long overdue but which I am excited to share...

A few months ago I was early to meet someone and decided to pass time by swinging into our local piano dealer (acoustic pianos only both new/used). Usually the place is full of old junk and a few nice Yamaha and Kawai grands that are out of my budget. I played a couple of uprights and as I was working my way around tucked away in the corner I spotted a shiny black baby grand which caught my eye. A second hand Young Chang G157 with a price tag at roughly the price of a Nord Stage 3

So I sat to have a go not expecting much of it, and it simply blew me away. The action was so light and responsive, allowing so much expression. The sound filled the room and just sustained and resonated for what seemed like forever and I looked at my 10 year old daughter in amazement as her face beamed and we both went... WOW!! It sounds amazing. I just couldn't stop playing it, and walking around it. I played a Yamaha G5 next to it that was Much more expensive, then a Kawai GL30, again 5x the price. Back to the Young Chang and by far I preferred it, it just had something special about it.

We went home thinking about it more and more. I couldnt strictly afford to just buy it, but never have I wanted an instrument so much. Truth be told, I havent been doing much live work recently due to other commitments and I was starting to feel sorry for my Stage 3 seeing little stage action. I toyed with selling it to buy this grand that knocked my socks off, but I CANT, I CANT sell my Stage 3.

Anyway we called by again, and played it again, which was a bad mistake as it just made me want it more :lol:

A month later and a third visit, and the Stage 3 had been advertised for sale, and a deposit left. It had won me over and the Grand was coming home with me before someone else bought it.

So we have had her since April and I really dont know how I have not bought an acoustic piano much much sooner. I play it every day and just love it to bits, it just connects with me on a whole new level and the best part about it, it didn't have to come at the highest price in the shop. Its taught me that as good as digital sounds can be, chasing a great piano sound doesnt have to mean you need the newest of digital kit, and your musical heart could well be sitting in your used piano dealer somewhere near :) It has even been given a name (Eleanor) thanks to my 10 year old :D
And here it is.
My daughter loves it too :)

And a final note, the Stage 3 sale fell through so decided to keep it anyway :keyboard2: (bank manager not happy! ) :facepalm: :facepalm:

Thanks for reading folks
Last edited by kirsty on 27 Nov 2023, 15:56, edited 3 times in total.

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507

The author kirsty was thanked by 6 members, including:
JeffmacdmamfmgmSpiderTraciiJohannesMarlowes
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

My journey to acoustic

Sponsor

Re: My journey to acoustic

Postby cphollis » 20 Jun 2019, 19:59

Thanks for sharing your story. Like you, I think there's only so far you can go in the digital realm before you start craving a real acoustic piano. Even the best digital hybrids (e.g. Yamaha AvantGrand) fall a bit short of the real deal.

And you are right about finding good instruments for very reasonable money. Where I live, I routinely see decent instruments being offered at digital keyboard prices. I wish I had room for them all!

Happy playing ...
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
kirsty
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby maxpiano » 20 Jun 2019, 23:02

Great story kirsty and very happy for you (and your daughter too) ;-)

I play digitals because I have little no choice, mainly due to neighbours and portability, but I keep with me my vertical Kawai, getting old (34 6ears now) and not always perfectly tuned but... two notes on it and there's no digital to compare with in terms of connection and good vibrations I get... :D
Last edited by maxpiano on 21 Jun 2019, 09:57, edited 3 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
kirsty
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby analogika » 21 Jun 2019, 00:47

She‘s yours, and you took heed and made it so.

Well done.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by:
kirsty
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby PScooter63 » 21 Jun 2019, 06:23

You know, I noticed that tweak in your sig line a few weeks back, and was waiting with baited breath to hear about it. Bravo Kirsty!

There's nothing like the Real Thing... here's hoping Elanor affords you (and your daughter) decades of joy.

The author PScooter63 was thanked by:
kirsty
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby Quai34 » 21 Jun 2019, 09:28

Well, I've known for years that nothing beats the real,thing having been classical train knee on a high end upright, very tall, playel brand if I recall well...so, happy for you!!!
Stage 2/C2/NL2X+TC Pedals, 2XMatrix, EMU P2K, TX802, DSI P8/Tetra+H9, P12+TC HoF, D50+PG1000, XV5080,AX keytar, Streichfett, Drumbrute.Ibanez SR1200 & 2605 basses, Artstar AS153,G&L L2000,Legacy HSS,Asat Blueboys,Asat Deluxe Savanna.genelec 8040A.

The author Quai34 was thanked by:
kirsty
Quai34

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Postby toniolito » 21 Jun 2019, 15:22

Congrats for your new piano. Good choice.
Before buying my upright, I tested a lot of grand and upright pianos. I tested some Young Chang models and they were surprisingly great comparing to the price.

Electronic and acoustic instrument are for me complementary. This is not the same use.
I own an old 30yo Seiler Upright which works perfectly (one tuning by year is enough) and I recently switch my Roland RD-300GX to NS3. I mainly use the NS3, because I can play when I want without making noise in the house: in fact, I mainly play after my daughter goes to bed. And I obvisouly cannot take my upright to play with my band and I can use a lot more sounds with the NS3.

Nothing can replace playing with an acoustic piano. Electronic boards can only mimic piano on a record or through PA, but cannot mimics all the range of sound variations an acoustic piano can produce.
An acoustic piano doesn't only produce sounds, but there is also an interaction between the piano and the player.

The author toniolito was thanked by:
kirsty
toniolito

Postby kirsty » 21 Jun 2019, 17:50

Wow thanks for the comments everyone :)

toniolito wrote:Nothing can replace playing with an acoustic piano. Electronic boards can only mimic piano on a record or through PA, but cannot mimics all the range of sound variations an acoustic piano can produce.
An acoustic piano doesn't only produce sounds, but there is also an interaction between the piano and the player.

I think this describes it well. The acoustic has no sample recording constraints, no limits to velocity layers, no min max dynamic ranges, no amplification or speaker barriers, just pure raw sound. :)
Last edited by kirsty on 21 Jun 2019, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

Nord Piano 5 73
Yamaha C6 Grand

Gone but not forgotten
Young Chang G157 | Nord Electro 5HP | Nord Stage 3 HA88 | Roland RD-64 | Nord Stage 2 EX 76 | Yamaha CP4 | Nord Piano 2HP | Kurzweil Artis | Kurzweil SP4-8 | Roland HP507
kirsty

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby solmaster » 21 Jun 2019, 22:43

No arguments from me, but you'll be glad you kept the Nord if you ever go back to playing gigs!

The author solmaster was thanked by:
kirsty
solmaster

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby JayDee » 25 Jun 2019, 19:08

Your daughter is beautiful, congratulations. :thumbup:
Last edited by JayDee on 25 Jun 2019, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.

The author JayDee was thanked by:
kirsty
JayDee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Next

Return to Your Music & Keyboard Rig