Nord Piano 3 OS 2.0 update hanging

Everything about the Nord Piano, Nord Piano 2, Nord Piano 3, Nord Piano 4, Nord Piano 5, and the Nord Grand.
SteveNordP3
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Nord Piano 3 OS 2.0 update hanging

Post by SteveNordP3 »

I’ve read multiple threads on different instruments experiencing a freeze when updating their OS - I searched specifically for Piano 3 OS 2.0 and have not found a thread related to my specific problem. If I missed something I apologize.

I want to download the White Grand. I noticed my OS (v1.20) is outdated (latest seems to be 2.0 on the Nord website) and thought I should download that first.

I downloaded the latest USB drivers for my Windows machine which worked well. I tried to download the OS and it does restart the P3 in to Update Mode Ready status and my Windows machine shows the v2.00 update window recognizing my current OS and v1.20 before I clicked the Update button in that window, but there is literally no progress. No action on the progress bar, no clicking in the piano - nothing. Been trying for 30 minutes. Seems there should be at least something - even a 1% progress or something telling me the process has started but there’s literally nothing going on.

Other threads not specific to NP3 had all kinds of suggestions including sustain pedal configuration (??) and hard restarting...even though the instructions say not to do that.

Wide open to suggestions here - thanks very much!
SteveNordP3
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3

Re: Nord Piano 3 OS 2.0 update hanging

Post by SteveNordP3 »

Well - let me answer my own question...

I only read the Windows page of the 2-page instructions. The Mac version starts in page 2 of the PDF so I assumed it wouldn’t apply to me. But there are troubleshooting tips at the bottom of page 2 including a last suggestion to turn on the unit while holding down the SHIFT and STORE buttons and it will start in update ready mode. The instructions don’t say this but you have to have the Nord off, then extract the update exe file, THEN turn the Nord on holding those 2 buttons down. I did that and it uploaded in about 30 seconds. I feel like an idiot - but better than the feeling I had that my Nord was destroyed :-)