All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Nord Piano Monitor (Active Stereo Speakers)

Postby theol » 11 Jun 2019, 09:26

Dear forum users
Does anyone of you have the "North Piano Monitor" (Active Stereo Speakers)? Are they sounding good and how loud can you adjust this? Is it possible to accompany 20 people singing without any additional speakers / amplifiers (in a room of approx. 40m²)?
So I'm asking because I'm looking for an easy-to-transport alternative for a mini-PA because I'm not satisfied with the sound. Thank you for your answer and best regards!

Original-Nachricht auf deutsch:
Liebe Forum-Benutzer
Hat jemand von euch die "Nord Piano Monitor" (Active Stereo Speakers)? Klingen sie gut und wie laut kann man diese einstellen? Kann man damit 20 Personen beim Singen begleiten ohne weitere Lautsprecher/Verstärker (in einem Raum von ca. 40m²)?
Ich frage deshalb, weil ich eine einfach zu transportierende Alternative für eine Mini-PA suche, weil ich mit dem Klang daraus nicht zufrieden bin. Vielen Dank für deine Antwort und freundliche Grüsse!
theol

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4

Nord Piano Monitor (Active Stereo Speakers)

Sponsor

Re: Nord Piano Monitor (Active Stereo Speakers)

Postby cphollis » 11 Jun 2019, 13:45

I don't own them, but I think I can guess what you will discover. They are near-field monitors, designed for someone sitting at the keyboard to hear great sound. Near-field monitors don't do a good job of filling a room with sound, and they don't do a good job of being heard over a 20 person chorus.

That being said, you may not care, as it will all sound wonderful to you from where you are sitting.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
theol
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby theol » 12 Jun 2019, 14:59

Thank you for the friendly and fast response! That sounds plausible. So I'll probably not be able to get around to buy the near-field monitors for home and for the singing room with 20 people, for example, a mini-PA system.

Is there perhaps someone who already has his own experience with the "Nord Piano Monitors"?
Can you connect them to yourself at the Nord Piano 4 and at the same time still speakers to fill the room with the singers (mini-PA)? Or are the outputs of the Nord Piano 4 already all occupied by the connection of the Nord Piano monitors?

Many thanks and kind regards!

--------------------------------------------------------------
Original-Sprache:
Vielen Dank für die freundliche und schnelle Antwort! Das klingt plausibel. So werde ich vermutlich nicht darum herum kommen, für zu Hause die Nahfeld-Monitore zu kaufen und für den Gesangsraum mit 20 Personen zum Beispiel eine Mini-PA-Anlage.

Gibt es vielleicht jemanden, der schon eigene Erfahrungen mit den "Nord Piano Monitors" hat?
Kann man sie am Nord Piano 4 für sich selbst anschliessen und gleichzeitig noch Lautsprecher um den Raum mit den Sängern zu füllen (Mini-PA)? Oder sind die Ausgänge des Nord Piano 4 schon alle durch den Anschluss der Nord Piano Monitore besetzt?

Besten Dank und freundliche Grüsse!
theol

Postby cphollis » 12 Jun 2019, 21:40

There are two stereo outputs on the Nord Piano 4. One is the headphone jack. The other is the typical L/R individual channels. I do not know if using the headphone jack silences the main outputs as I've never tried it. It shouldn't.

You could run with near-field monitors driven from the headphone jack, but you'd need a specific cable. The main L/R would be available for external amplification. However, there is only one volume control for both.

A somewhat better solution would be to get a small mixer with an "aux" or "monitor" output.

theol
cphollis

Postby theol » 14 Jun 2019, 10:44

Thank you for the friendly response (so cool that you just get an answer from the other side of the globe)!
That would be a good idea. I've just tried it and the L / R outputs are really not muted when a headphone is plugged in. So there remains only the mentioned problem of the only volume control. So you really need a small mixer and additional speakers ...

Meanwhile, I was able to test the "Nord Piano Monitor" myself and they are really geared for the near field and not to accompany 20 people singing.

So there is no solution with only 2 easy to transport active speakers that you can use directly at the piano for a comfortable play at home (about 25m ²) and the same for the accompaniment of max. 20 singers in a slightly larger room (40m²)? Would it always be an unfavorable sound quality for one or the other situation? Thank you and best regards!
theol

Postby maurus » 14 Jun 2019, 12:16

I don't think there is a simple solution that works equally satisfactorily both in the situation you describe and at home. You might try a pair of EV ZX-A1 or the like with the choir. At home they would be overkill. I don't do such things a lot but I own a pair of Roland CM30 which are very easy to transport and to set up, and which include a mixing option. However, the sound is very basic (your EQ in the Nord helps, though) and you might find it lacking for your purposes. At home I don't use them much - headphones or the real piano are so much more satisfying ;)

The author maurus was thanked by:
theol
maurus

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby ajstan » 14 Jun 2019, 14:10

theol wrote:So there is no solution with only 2 easy to transport active speakers that you can use directly at the piano for a comfortable play at home (about 25m ²) and the same for the accompaniment of max. 20 singers in a slightly larger room (40m²)? Would it always be an unfavorable sound quality for one or the other situation? Thank you and best regards!

Consider a pair of Bose S1 Pros. More than enough volume for 20 people and small enough for home use. See attached picture with an S1 Pro on the left and a JBL 305p MKII on the right. The JBLs sound much clearer and have more detail than the Bose as nearfield monitors, but the Bose is much better when using as a PA. The Bose also includes a battery power option and Bluetooth.
Attachments
Bose S1 and JBL 305p MKII.JPG
Bose S1 Pro on left. JBL 305p MKII on right.
Bose S1 and JBL 305p MKII.JPG (181.98 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
Last edited by ajstan on 15 Jun 2019, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer

The author ajstan was thanked by:
theol
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby cphollis » 15 Jun 2019, 04:07

You're looking for "small and cute" speakers that do well at home, but also could step up to a larger environment. Sorry, I know of no such gear. If you'd like to discuss gear that could handle the larger room (and singers!), fine. But I don't think you're going to find gear that does both well, as they are very different missions.

theol
cphollis

Postby cphollis » 15 Jun 2019, 05:09

If you are interested in stereo, there are a bunch of self-powered PA speakers that could do the job for you. EV ZXA-1s. Yamaha DXR 10s. The Bose units mentioned above. Or my personal favorites, the K8.2s. None of them suck.

Put them on a pair of short poles behind you, and be prepared for serious stereo bliss. However, when you bring them into a home environment, they are a somewhat overpowered for the job at hand. And a very low WAF (wife approval factor).

The other type of gear that works well in ensembles are the vertical line array poles: Bose L1 etc. I have a few different models in my collection and like them, and although they are mono, they do great with crystal highs and wide dispersion. Also an aesthetic challenge in a home environment. If you're not going to be playing with a louder electric band (and are OK with mono) a very appealing choice.

Not to encourage you to spend more than you want, but many of us have a home rig and a performing rig. You may end up here before long? Some of us who play in multiple bands have multiple performing rigs. We have all learned that you want in a home rig isn't the same thing you want in a performing rig.

Life is easier when you accept this :) As an example ...

Home rigs? Yamaha N3 in one place and a Bosie 200 in the other. No amplification needed or wanted.

Performing rigs? Nord Piano 4, Stage 3C, and maybe a wild synth or two (depending). and a bevy of amplification gear to choose from: Spacestation SSv3, K8.2, K12.2, Bose L1 Compact, L1 1S, RCF TT08-a, FA 12ac, subs, etc. Oh yes, and some dandy Westone passive IEMs. Killer keyboard amplification is sort of my thing. They all have their role. If something better comes out, I'm going to buy it.

With Nords, you've got to spend to get the amplification you want and need. No shortcuts.

If I were you, I'd find something to get you through this particular stage without spending too much money, and acknowledge you're going to want something better down the road.
Last edited by cphollis on 15 Jun 2019, 05:37, edited 3 times in total.

theol
cphollis

Postby theol » 15 Jun 2019, 14:35

Thanks for all the answers! It has helped me as a layman to understand the difference between near field and scattering and that there is no good solution for both with a single product.
So I'll probably try the following:
Use the Nord Piano Monitors for Home. And for the accompaniment of 20 people while singing instead or in addition to the mini PA ("Vyrve Audio Mizar") connect. Maybe I can use the controls on the piano and the integrated mixer of the Mini PA to set as good a sound as possible. With the Mini PA, it is also possible to insert a microphone or a guitar and mix it separately. Let's see, maybe that's enough for my two different purposes?
Thank you and best regards from Switzerland!
theol

Next

Return to Accessories and Amplification