This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

New piano White Grand released

Postby cleito » 13 Jun 2019, 19:39

cleito

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

New piano White Grand released

Sponsor

Re: White Grand?

Postby Rusty Mike » 13 Jun 2019, 19:47

OrpheusNY wrote:What I am hearing as the file sizes get bigger is a big improvement in the detail and presence of the sound all the way through the 88 note range. The old samples used to kind of die in the upper octaves. I've just played this one a bit but does not have a weak octave to my ears so far. Strong all the way up.

Yea, the detail is exquisite. The thing just breathes.

Gambold I agree that the sample sizes are creeping up. And this is also the first of the v6.0 acoustic piano samples. That said, however, I'm really starting to see the need (at least for myself) of having fewer piano varieties loaded overall. Out of the multiples I have loaded, I tend to stick to actually using only three:
1. The Amber upright is my go-to. It seems to fit well in nearly everything I do besides ballads.
2. Grand Lady D has less detail, but is a very pretty sound for ballads
3. The Silver for when I need more sparkle and bite

If the White Grand works out, it could replace the Lady D. XL versions of those three plus the 4 Rhodes and a Wurly and I'm good to go.
Mike from Central NJ, USA
Tools: Ten fingers, two feet, middle-age brain, questionable judgement and taste
Nords: Piano 5 73, Stage 2EX 76 HP, Electro 6D 73

The author Rusty Mike was thanked by:
Gambold
Rusty Mike

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby OrpheusNY » 13 Jun 2019, 22:51

Second take- after more extended playing: holy hell, this is a keeper. Definitely worth checking out as soon as you have the time. I'm thinking for me it will knock out the Royal. I'd put it pretty much in the middle of the dark to bright tone spectrum.
OrpheusNY

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby baekgaard » 13 Jun 2019, 23:00

Yes, it is a pretty nice sample! It sings nicely, you can lay back and just sit in the mix, or you can start playing more boldly and it will bite nicely without any overly bright and unpleasant tones. And it has a nice body too.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Gambold » 14 Jun 2019, 15:33

>I'm really starting to see the need (at least for myself) of having fewer piano varieties loaded overall.<

Yeah, I've done that myself. After the initial blush of Nord ownership, when you eagerly have as many pianos on your board as possible and spend months obsessing over which ones are the best (the Queen vs the Black? The Italian vs the Imperial?) you realize that a lot of the differences are small and you aren't going to use 12 different acoustic pianos anyway. The same with the EPs - although it doesn't take up as much space to have all of them on there, I'm pretty sure most of use 3 or 4 tops.

I've stuck with the Bright XL for band work, and was using the Imperial and Lady D Larges for home playing. I swapped in the White XL for the Lady last night. I have the Amber Large, Mellow Large, Saloon and Honky smalls on for the Uprights - I figure the Amber is the premium, and the other three are for very particular uses - although I admit I almost never play any of them, except sometimes the Amber. EPS I use 1,4,and 5 almost exclusively, with the new filters, and the Wurli Amped.
Last edited by Gambold on 14 Jun 2019, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
Nord Electro 6D
Korg SV-2
Yamaha P22
IK Uno Synth
Gambold

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby MartinJ2EX » 14 Jun 2019, 20:59

I'll have to admit this new White Grand is really worth it... :thanks: nord

Sad to see the good ol' Grand Lady D go, but Steinway B replaced Steinway D...
Robbie Williams and Elvis Presley will now feature Model B instead of D - something to get used to but still perfect (even better and clearer) Steinway Piano sound :keyboard:

Yamaha Grand Upright and one EP had to go as well, but I rarely used them ...
Last edited by MartinJ2EX on 14 Jun 2019, 21:00, edited 2 times in total.
Nord Stage 4 88 | Stage 2 EX 88
Numa Organ 2 | DX7 IIFD | JX-08
SL 61mk3 | opsix | UB-Xa

Live Musician since 2010
> My Website <

Sugar Sharks | Hertha Band
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby AlexNagel » 14 Jun 2019, 23:31

The White Grand is wonderful! Played my first wedding dinner with it tonight. The three grand sounds I used were Royal Grand 3D XL, Imperial Grand XL and White Grand XL. It's very nice to be able to chose between these quite different flavors of piano.
IMG_4503.jpg
Wedding dinner using White Grand XL
IMG_4503.jpg (3.95 MiB) Viewed 2558 times
Last edited by AlexNagel on 14 Jun 2019, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.

The author AlexNagel was thanked by:
HwyStar
AlexNagel
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby lvercaut » 15 Jun 2019, 18:46

The "White Grand" samples are head and shoulder above the others. I'm not saying the others are not good but this piano is a different class.
Play this for 2 minutes and you can't stop anymore . Great work from Nord !
lvercaut

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby ajstan » 15 Jun 2019, 19:58

AlexNagel wrote:The White Grand is wonderful! Played my first wedding dinner with it tonight. The three grand sounds I used were Royal Grand 3D XL, Imperial Grand XL and White Grand XL. It's very nice to be able to chose between these quite different flavors of piano.

I agree, and as Rusty Mike and Gambold have done, I have cut back on the number of pianos. I've kept the same 3 you mentioned plus the Bright Grand XL and the Silver Grand L. I'd rather have the XLs of the pianos I like than Ls and Ms of those I rarely/never use. I'm going to try to find an upright to delete so I can get the Silver XL too.

With the White Grand, It's interesting how much more of a connection I feel to the keyboard and the consistency of sound across the octaves. The extra 45MB sure makes a difference (and maybe some improved sampling techniques too). As a bonus, it sounds decent in mono for gigs where FOH can't support stereo keys. Very nice upgrade!
NS3-88, NS3C, Casio CT-S1, Radial Key Largo, Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs, Rolls PM55P Headphone Mixer, K&M 18880 Keyboard Stand with 18881 Second Tier, Bose S1 Pro, JBL 305p MKII Monitors, Zoom Q2n-4K, Behringer XR18 Mixer
ajstan

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby IanzKeys » 15 Jun 2019, 20:43

Yup, the White Grand is my new favourite as well.
IanzKeys

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum