General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Control pedals for organ - Nord Electro 6D

Postby AliciaM » 06 Jun 2019, 14:02

Hello!

I came new in this community and asked already some questions about my Nord Electro 6D. As I said in my previous post, I'm a classical piano player, not keyboardist, so this is a whole new world for me :mrgreen:

I'm also learning some techniques on how to perform the organ section (glissandos up, down, etc) and I wanted to ask about what kind of pedal assignations are commonly used with organ - expression, volume...? both? - and most specifically with a Nord Electro.

On the other hand, before buying a new control pedal, I wanted to ask if it's possible to assign the sustain pedal to other controls. Like, can I use the sustain pedal to work as an expression pedal?

Sorry if these questions sound a bit dumb, haha
Thanks so much in advance!!
AliciaM

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Control pedals for organ - Nord Electro 6D

Sponsor

Re: Control pedals for organ - Nord Electro 6D

Postby Tracii » 06 Jun 2019, 16:00

Hi,

an expression or swell pedal is a must. It is essentially a volume pedal that doesn't go down to 0 but to 20% roughly.

I use my sustain pedal to toggle the Leslie speed. I don't think it's possible to use it as an expression pedal, because a sustain pedal is an on/off-type latch.

The author Tracii was thanked by:
AliciaM
Tracii

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby AliciaM » 06 Jun 2019, 16:58

Tracii wrote:Hi,

an expression or swell pedal is a must. It is essentially a volume pedal that doesn't go down to 0 but to 20% roughly.

I use my sustain pedal to toggle the Leslie speed. I don't think it's possible to use it as an expression pedal, because a sustain pedal is an on/off-type latch.

Thanks for the response!

Can I ask you how many pedals you use for the organ sounds?

And so the sustain pedal, you have it connected to the leslie simulator pedal? Is it possible to do that?

I'm gonna find an expression pedal. So, can this type of pedal be assigned for different parameters (volume, expression)? To start with, I'd have a sustain pedal for piano sounds and an expression pedal for the organ sounds; would this work to start with? :)

Thanks!
AliciaM

Postby baekgaard » 07 Jun 2019, 08:30

You can set up your sustain pedal so that it also works as rotary speed switch off toggle while still connected to the sustain plug. Check the manual for system menus.

I think most of us make do with two pedals, a sustain/speed pedal and a swell pedal. On the NS3 I sometimes have sustain and speed on two different - but always a swell pedal (that can also be used/set up add volume).

The author baekgaard was thanked by:
AliciaM
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby Tracii » 07 Jun 2019, 08:37

AliciaM wrote:To start with, I'd have a sustain pedal for piano sounds and an expression pedal for the organ sounds; would this work to start with? :)

That's what about 95% of all Electro players do, I reckon. :thumbup:

The volume/expression pedal can be set up to work for organ (mandatory :D), samples (depends) and piano (odd, but whatever floats yer boat... :angel:). There's a setting for that on the Nord, as is for the sustain pedal - you can use it to sustain organ as well (cf. expression pedal for piano :mrgreen:) or as a momentary or toggle switch for the Leslie speed. You can even use a third pedal as a dedicated Leslie speed switch.

//
baekgaard beat me to it. ;)

The author Tracii was thanked by 2 members, including:
AliciaMbaekgaard
Tracii

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby AliciaM » 13 Jun 2019, 12:08

Hello again!

Thanks for your replies the other day, they were very useful :)

Now, while I'm practicing, I found that it would be super useful for me to do as you mentioned: using the sustain pedal to toggle the rotary in the organ.

Also, let's say I have to play two songs. In the first song I need to use the sustain pedal as sustain for the piano, but in the next song I want to use the sustain pedal to switch the rotary of the organ.

Would I need to create different programs where I record the "type of use" I give to the pedal?

Also... How can I assign different functions for the sustain pedal?

And... :) Is it possible to use the sustain pedal to switch from one sound to another when you press it? How can you do this? The manual is not really helpful... :(

Thanks soooo much for your patience!!
Last edited by AliciaM on 13 Jun 2019, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.
AliciaM

Return to Nord Stage Forum