This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

Re: What is missing in Rhodes sampling of the Nord?

Postby spradders » 12 Jun 2019, 12:53

Tricky - very subjective. I've got two Mk1 Rhodes behind me right now ... one is punchy and fun to play, the other is relatively dull. Put through a valve pre-amp they sound much better and more exciting. But they both have a few funky / beating notes and a fair bit of variation across they keyboard - they are far from pristine - but that's part of the charm. My Nord sounds 'better', that is more consistent and cleaner; but that isn't always what I want.

Anyone want to sample these Rhodes or lend me a decent mic / USB interface so I can do it? Southampton, UK!
spradders
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Sponsor

Postby daniel70 » 13 Jun 2019, 22:46

What is missing in the Nord Rhodes samples are the typical artifacts of a real Rhodes and a natural sustain without loops. The Nord Rhodes sound a bit sterile to me. All are very special and more Nord-like than any of the Rhodes i played since 30 years.

The author daniel70 was thanked by:
HrSys
daniel70

Postby evandrolino » 25 Jun 2019, 01:30

I have an NS2EX and after a long time testing the EQ on the new Large and XL Rhodes I got a satisfactory result on almost all Rhodes, each Rhodes revealed a different and brilliant feature with the addition of treble and medium that it would be impossible to discover without the use of the equalizer, I'm really impressed with the power of the EQ on the Rhodes, I'm happier now! The EP7 is a lot like Keyscape's Rhodes Classic now, I think that's a good sign.
I like playing various styles with Rhodes: Funk, Pop, Jazz, Ballad, RnB ...
evandrolino
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX

Postby maurizio » 27 Jun 2019, 12:01

I have a Nord 5 HP, and i keep it as an overall good comprimise between my different needs.
About the Rhodes, i recently played (in rehersal, real use conditions) on a CP4 and on a Korg SV-1, i am happier with the Nord; more precisely, i like the CP4, i do not like the SV-1 (touch+sound); but i like more the Nord.
I recently tried a CP88 and a CP73 (but in a shop, not real conditions) and they seems fine, a good competition to the Nord. If i was on the market for a piano, i would put them the CP73 in my short list.
But again, i am happier with the Nord, no reason to change.

I also tried my Nord connected to some VST Rhodes on my Mac; frankly, there a few that i would prefer to play live instead of the Nord built in epianos, but i do not bring my Mac in rehersals/gigs, at least for now; i have Komplete, that include a pretty good Rhodes (that i prefer over the Nord), and the Lounge Lizard and the Arturia, last two modelled; i find all of them give more dynamics and in general more espressivity.

A few days ago i tried a Crumar Seven. Well, that is a different story; in term of sound, the basic Rhodes sound, no effect, no equalisation, on a small Roland Cube, it just blew me out of the water; the dynamic, the relationship between the hand/keybed/sound is way above the Nord, in my humble and limited experience; it must be said that i intentionally trained myself on the NE TP100 keybed, and the Seven have the same Fatar Keybed; i am sure many people would prefer
the NP or one of the other pianos.

On the other side, teh Seven just do not fit my main use case: i cannot put in on my shoulders and bring it around in Paris by metro, so my NE5HP is not in danger :->.

Maurizio
MODX7, Nord Wave 2, Hammond Pro 44H, too many plugins.
maurizio

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2

Postby daniel70 » 27 Jun 2019, 12:45

@maurizio: Which Rhodes sample do you prefer on the Nord?
daniel70

Postby maurizio » 28 Jun 2019, 13:23

daniel70 wrote:@maurizio: Which Rhodes sample do you prefer on the Nord?

Usually i use the Nefertiti, the new version
MODX7, Nord Wave 2, Hammond Pro 44H, too many plugins.
maurizio

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2

Postby NordPH » 04 Jul 2019, 08:55

When you run them in a real amp they come very much alive. What we need is better amp simulators in the Nord.
Also, som kind of random triggering of different samples for the same velocity (round robin) would make it more convincing.
NordPH
Patch Creator

Postby ericL » 04 Jul 2019, 12:54

I've had good results with layering two different Rhodes sounds on each panel of my NS2 or NS3. The NS3 in particular with the expanded filters, is quite satisfying. I don't have it in front of me to remember which Rhodes sounds I am using, but one is Nefertiti for sure and then I have one of the others layered, using different dynamics and effects on each, so it's this nice multi-layered dynamic hybrid sound. Sort of reminds me of the '80s when I had the opportunity to play on a KX-88 MIDI'd to a TX816 that had 8 different FM EP sounds layered, with different nuances and while FM EP sounds are dated nowadays, that thing was as expressive as any real instrument I've played!

I think Nord gives a lot of great foundational sounds that can be improved dramatically with the effects, dynamics, and filters. Stacking the sounds together takes it up a notch for me as well.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.

The author ericL was thanked by:
modalmixture
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby anotherscott » 04 Jul 2019, 13:43

NordPH wrote:When you run them in a real amp they come very much alive. What we need is better amp simulators in the Nord.

Simulating tube characteristics without a tube seems to be one of the trickiest things to do. Have you found any keyboards that do a better job than Nord? (Well, not counting something like the Korg SV1 which has a real tube in it!)
anotherscott

Postby NordPH » 11 Jul 2019, 14:32

anotherscott wrote:
NordPH wrote:When you run them in a real amp they come very much alive. What we need is better amp simulators in the Nord.

Simulating tube characteristics without a tube seems to be one of the trickiest things to do. Have you found any keyboards that do a better job than Nord? (Well, not counting something like the Korg SV1 which has a real tube in it!)

Actually, no.
Other than vst:s and SV1 i haven´t.
But even a solid state amp like a ROLAND jazz chorus makes the sound very good also :)
NordPH
Patch Creator

PreviousNext

Return to General Nord Forum