All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

IpadOS

Postby solmaster » 09 Jun 2019, 22:32

Just wondered if there any any opinions/thoughts on the new upcoming operating system for ipads? Supposed to be more 'mac-like' with this installed. You think there's finally a possibilty of using the Nord Sound Manager on ipad? I know this subject has been brought up many times before, but does this new operating system perhaps bring the possibilty a little closer?
solmaster

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Piano 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

IpadOS

Sponsor

Re: IpadOS

Postby NoDirection » 11 Jun 2019, 10:52

I really don't think so. As I read the applications that can use IPad as a "second screen" must be specially programmed for it. But there will be support to use IPad apps on Mac OS... (the opposite)

I think making all existing programs 64 bit ready should be the highest priority for Clavia. And then later make IOS applications..
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6
NoDirection
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Re: IpadO

Postby analogika » 11 Jun 2019, 11:28

Seeing as the existing 32-bit apps will no longer be supported by Catalina in October, it is obvious that Clavia are working on new versions, and that these will have to be available in autumn.

While it is simply not true that there will be "support to use iPad apps on macOS", there ARE huge simplifications for building apps to run on both platforms, come Catalina and iPadOS.

The question is whether Clavia will continue to prioritise cross-platform Windows/Mac development (which results in the rather less than optimal Mac interface IMHO), or whether they will grab the chance to build a new Mac version that also runs cross-platform with iOS.

I’m hoping the latter.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio

The author analogika was thanked by 2 members, including:
MartinJ2EXPScooter63
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby NoDirection » 12 Jun 2019, 10:33

My source for IOS apps on MAc OS was from sources like this. https://www.cnet.com/news/wwdc-2019-apples-marzipan-is-actually-called-catalyst-and-means-more-ipad-apps-on-your-mac/ I can agree that IOS apps will not run without any changes, but it seems to me like the support is there for developers...
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Nord Electro 6 HP, Yamaha Montage 6
NoDirection
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby maxpiano » 12 Jun 2019, 13:38

NoDirection wrote:My source for IOS apps on MAc OS was from sources like this. https://www.cnet.com/news/wwdc-2019-apples-marzipan-is-actually-called-catalyst-and-means-more-ipad-apps-on-your-mac/ I can agree that IOS apps will not run without any changes, but it seems to me like the support is there for developers...

That's correct, however it all depends on Nord, they may just recompile the current Nord Sound Manager for the 64 bit platform, with no changes, to make it work on the next MacOS...
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby PScooter63 » 12 Jun 2019, 16:58

Kind of lost in this discussion is the revelation that iPadOS, when released later this year, will support thumb drives and the like.

This sounds to me like iPad will be capable of serving as a USB host, which was needed for Sound Manager to function correctly.

Anyone have thoughts on these assumptions?
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby maxpiano » 12 Jun 2019, 17:24

PScooter63 wrote:Kind of lost in this discussion is the revelation that iPadOS, when released later this year, will support thumb drives and the like.

This sounds to me like iPad will be capable of serving as a USB host, which was needed for Sound Manager to function correctly.

Anyone have thoughts on these assumptions?

IPad can be used as a USB host already today, with iOS, using the appropriate adapter (e.g. when connecting a MIDI master keyboard or an Audio Interface)

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
PScooter63
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Tarlebibo » 12 Jun 2019, 20:46

Hi guys. I’m new on this great forum and i really enjoy it!

Concerning this topic, that is also what i thought first when i heard about iOS 13 new features.
I allo really would like to have a sound manager iOS app for iPad ... Indeed, it seems that we are quiete a lot already using iPad around our keybords and would be a big improvement to allow us to not carry a laptop or iMac everywhere and be more flexible.
Tarlebibo

new macOS app / iPadOS app

Postby MartinJ2EX » 18 Jun 2019, 20:48

I hope Nord will finally choose to build a new version for macOS - from scratch.
If we are honest, for 2019 standards, the current app is not really reasonable...

I used to dream about a "Nord Companion app" when I got my S2EX... :angel:

Please, Nord...
1. (a real and worthy) macOS application with latest UI frameworks etc., built as a real Mac App from scratch :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
2. iOS / iPadOS app - :thumbup:

If it's good, I'd be also in for a Catalyst app for both iOS and Mac... :thumbup:

I would say, that's one of the only critic points I have about Nords... :keyboard:

I hope Nord Sound Manager will not be the only reason I will keep a VM with macOS Mojave...

Thanks in advance, Nord !!! :keyboard2:
Nord Stage 4 88 | Stage 2 EX 88
Numa Organ 2 | DX7 IIFD | JX-08
SL 61mk3 | opsix | UB-Xa

Live Musician since 2010
> My Website <

Sugar Sharks | Hertha Band
MartinJ2EX
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2 EX

Return to Accessories and Amplification