General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Another MIDI question

Postby Musicman » 28 May 2019, 12:21

Hey folks,
sorry if this has been covered already.

I'm about to use a new setup for an upcoming gig:
Nord stage 3, NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1 on top. It's going to be a full software setup, so both boards will be used as a Midi-Controller exclusively (don't judge me ;-)).
Here's what I've done:
NI via MIDI out into the MIDI in jack on the Nord (making use of the soft thru). Nord via midi out into the midi in jack of my audio interface (steinberg UR44). Interface hooked up to MacBook Pro via USB running mainstage. I set the midi Channel on the Nord extern menu to channel 2 and assigned both keyboards in mainstage. Works fine. Nord is sending on channel 1, NI is sending on channel 2.
Here's my problem:
When I play the NI, it triggers the upper keyboard in mainstage (as it should). But when I play the Nord, it triggers both keyboards in mainstage (visible)! I did some tweaking in mainstage and figured out the following: The Nord is not only sending on the assigned channel (1) but also on all other channels. Even when I turn off the Extern section the upper keyboard in Mainstage is still responding to the keys of the Nord.
How do I tell the Nord to only send on channel 1? (Is this even the right question? Am I missing something super simple maybe?)

Thanks in advance for your support!
Cheers
Sebastian
Musicman

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Another MIDI question

Sponsor

Re: Another MIDI question

Postby maxpiano » 28 May 2019, 12:27

You should assign the Extern to "no Zone" (all green leds off)

As an alternative set NS Global Channel to off, so that you control MIDI Output only from Extern section(s); then you may enable both slots and use Slot A Extern for Nord Stage on Ch MIDI1 and Slot B Extern (assigned to no Zone) for the NI SoftThru on Ch MIDI2 (but I would personally avoid SoftThru, too many limitations: can't you connect NI directly to the computer?)
Last edited by maxpiano on 28 May 2019, 12:28, edited 3 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
pablomastodon
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Musicman » 01 Jun 2019, 12:55

Sooooo, I figured it out.
Thanks, maxpiano, for your help but unfortunately your hints didn't work.

Here is what I did:

- Turn On Extern Section in Slot A and assign it to all zones
- Turn On Extern Section in Slot B and assign it to all zones
- Set up the menu as follows:

MIDI:
- Control Local: On
- Global Channel: off
- Slot A Channel: MIDI 1
- Slot B Channel: MIDI 2
- Organ/Piano/Synth A: Off
- dual kb: MIDI 16 (could be any other channel though)

Extern:
- Mode: Global
- A Channel: MIDI 1
- B Channel: MIDI 2
- Cc Values left untouched
- Soft Thru: On

Now I only activate Slot A and it works fine (Nord controlling Mainstage on channel 1 and secondary keyboard controlling Mainstage in channel 2).

Can somebody for God's sake please explain me why it works????? I spent hours and hours trying to figure it out... :crazy: :crazy:

Cheers,
Sebastian

P.S.:
Some things I figured out:
- Only activating Slot B leads to the Nord and the secondary keyboard both controlling Mainstage on channel 2.
- Extern Section on the not activated Slot B needs to be turned On and assigned to all zones. Otherwise the secondary keyboard doesn't send midi to mainstage.
Musicman

Postby maxpiano » 01 Jun 2019, 14:43

Of course Extern B needs to be enabled both as a section and as Panel (B) to work (even if as Soft Thru only) ;-)
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Jun 2019, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Musicman » 01 Jun 2019, 16:06

But Slot B must not be enabled! If I enable both slot A and B the Nord sends on Channel 1 and 2 simultaneously to Mainstage. So the strange thing is: I have to set up Slot B correctly but must not enable it... Does that make sense?
Musicman

Postby maxpiano » 01 Jun 2019, 16:56

Musicman wrote:But Slot B must not be enabled! If I enable both slot A and B the Nord sends on Channel 1 and 2 simultaneously to Mainstage. So the strange thing is: I have to set up Slot B correctly but must not enable it... Does that make sense?

In a way it does, if you only want the Soft Thru to happen (and it doesn't work with the "no zone" setting)

I still believe the best solution would be to hook the master directly to the computer, anyway.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
Musicman
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Musicman » 01 Jun 2019, 18:48

Alright, thank you for your help!

The two USB ports on my MacBook are already occupied. One by Nanokontrol and the other by Audio interface. I'm still in need of a decent USB Hub. You got a recommendation by any chance? ;-)
Musicman

Postby maxpiano » 01 Jun 2019, 19:20

Musicman wrote:Alright, thank you for your help!

The two USB ports on my MacBook are already occupied. One by Nanokontrol and the other by Audio interface. I'm still in need of a decent USB Hub. You got a recommendation by any chance? ;-)

I have a cheap 4 ports USB 2.0 hub (just one of those small hubs you can easily find on... well you know where 8-) ) to which I connect ...a Nanokontrol and a master keyboard ;)

The Audio interface must have its own "original" port on the Mac assigned, but for all the USB MIDI devices you can use any hub, they are not very demanding from a data transfer speed perspective.
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Jun 2019, 19:24, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby Musicman » 02 Jun 2019, 15:45

Alright. Thanks again :-)
Musicman

Return to Nord Stage Forum