Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Electro 5 D with external Midi Keyboard

Postby peterbauer » 17 May 2019, 23:03

Connected a M-Audio Keystation 61 via Midi to D5. Want to use M-Audio as piano sound (i.e. Grand Piano) and the D5 keyboard as Organ (i.e. Jazz Click B). Studied the manual for set-up, but am unable to do this, always get on both keyboards the same program. Can somebody tell me how to do the correct setup? Thanks!
peterbauer

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Electro 5 D with external Midi Keyboard

Sponsor

Re: Electro 5 D with external Midi Keyboard

Postby ozio01 » 19 May 2019, 11:40

The first time it is not straightforward. It took half an hour in all. from that moment on, everything runs smoothly.
Just take care about the split point setting. It must be set to "external" or something like (all way to the right).
Last edited by ozio01 on 19 May 2019, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
My instruments:
Nord Electro 3 Seventythree (it was)
Nord Electro 5D 73 (it is)
Motif XF 6
ozio01

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby eibinger » 19 May 2019, 15:14

I had the same problem and I found it via youtube. ozio01 is right. You have to dial for the split-point UPPER RECCEIVE (see above) and pressing KB-SPLIT and DIALING THE KNOB.
And another secret: If you want to use the M-audio als lower manual, you have to change your mind by using "Upper" and "Lower".
If you want to play the piano (M-Audio) as LOWER and the organ as Upper, you have to choose the piano as UPPER and the organ as Lower. Don't worry, I am not crazy!
And why? the NE5 insinuates, that all people want to add a upper-manual for organ.
Good luck!
eibinger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby anotherscott » 19 May 2019, 15:56

eibinger wrote:And another secret: If you want to use the M-audio als lower manual, you have to change your mind by using "Upper" and "Lower".
If you want to play the piano (M-Audio) as LOWER and the organ as Upper, you have to choose the piano as UPPER and the organ as Lower. Don't worry, I am not crazy!
And why? the NE5 insinuates, that all people want to add a upper-manual for organ.
Good luck!

The Nord does not know whether your second keyboard will be placed above or below your Nord. So in this case, "upper" and "lower" don't refer to the physical placement of the boards, bu rather which "section" of the Electro (the Upper section or the Lower section) will be applied to the external board.

So in a 2-board setup, "Lower" means "Internal keys" and "Upper" means "External keys," regardless of where you physically choose to locate your second board (which Nord has no way of knowing).

The author anotherscott was thanked by 2 members, including:
Marlowesmaxpiano
anotherscott

Postby eibinger » 20 May 2019, 08:25

Thanks for your lecture, anotherscott. Every organ-player learns in his first lesson, that UPPER means above LOWER.
And it doesn't matter, if you use 2 boards or one. Using only one board, UPPER means right and LOWER means left!
I think, peterbauer now is able to solve the problem ...
eibinger

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby anotherscott » 20 May 2019, 13:32

eibinger wrote:Every organ-player learns in his first lesson, that UPPER means above LOWER.

Organ or not, sure, in english, upper is above lower. The point is, that while the E5 has Upper and Lower sections whose names are obviously appropriate when playing the E5 itself, it is the Upper section that has a secondary function, which is external assignment, having nothing to do with being above or below. I suppose they could have made it more clear if, in the center Program section of the control surface, instead of the main box on the right being labelled PART UPPER, they had named it PART UPPER/EXTERNAL. But what I'm trying to say is, it won't seem whacky if you think of the external function being a "repurposing" of the board's Upper section, rather than thinking that the Upper section is supposed to actually be tied to an Upper board, which seems to be how you are interpreting it and is not (and logically cannot be) Nord's intent (since they cannot know which board you will put where).

eibinger wrote:And it doesn't matter, if you use 2 boards or one. Using only one board, UPPER means right and LOWER means left!

And when you use only one board and that board is an Electro 5, yes, Upper is right and Lower is left. It's when you use two boards that the labels won't necessarily apply to how you've physically configured things, or which will be played with your right hand and which will be played with your left. Even on a 2-manual Hammond B3, a player can use either hand on either manual. And the drawbars for the Upper manual are on the left, and the drawbars for the Lower manual are on the right!
Last edited by anotherscott on 20 May 2019, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.
anotherscott

Postby ozio01 » 21 May 2019, 10:25

Usability is a wild beast… :-)
My instruments:
Nord Electro 3 Seventythree (it was)
Nord Electro 5D 73 (it is)
Motif XF 6
ozio01

Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby fieldflower » 21 May 2019, 16:54

It would have made sense IF the B3+Bass would have been able to play the bass on the Upper.
As it is now it really seems like they mean Lower as in "physically lower".
It would have been very cool to have the ability to play bass pedals with bass pedals...
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Postby NolaNord504 » 26 Jun 2019, 06:57

Here's some info I found on using the M-Audio controller with an Electro: https://getsatisfaction.com/m-audio/top ... patibility.

Hope you find this helpful. Please share your impressions of this controller and how well it works in conjunction with the Electro.
-Brian
Stage 2 HA76, Electro 6D 73
Gone but not forgotten: Stage 76 (Classic), Electro 2 73, Electro 3 73, Electro 5 HP
NolaNord504

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby 5tepan » 10 Dec 2020, 13:40

Hello guys, I have an opportunity to buy a used NE5 HP and I would like to clarify if I can do the following: I have a dual manual midi controller setup for VB3 emulation and I want to connect it to the electro and use the organ with both manuals. At that moment I don't need to play any sound from the electro internal keyboard, I am just curious if one of the external keyboards could act as the electro internal keyboard.
Last edited by 5tepan on 10 Dec 2020, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
5tepan

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum