Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Odd electro 6d sustain/rotary behavior

Postby Stokely » 17 May 2019, 16:59

Hello, I just got a 6d after a LONG period on the fence. Overall it has been great, pairs very nicely with my Kurzweil pc3.

Anyway, since I have had it there has been an issue with the leslie toggle when using a sustain pedal. My live pedal is a little square yamaha, my home one is an m-audio larger normal pedal. In both cases the behavior is the same. I should mention that hitting the button doesn't have a problem.

The behavior: the leslie will quickly toggle to the opposite value (if fast, it goes to slow and vice versa) but then jumps RIGHT BACK to what it was. It happens very quickly, I can barely see it. Hitting the pedal again might work normally, or it might have the same issue and jump...I'm finding I have to hit the pedal 3 or 4 times on average to have it "stick". This is not good...either both pedals are sending a "wrong" signal or something is wrong with the keyboard. I have the sustain pedal set to act as rotary, but I get the same exact issue when plugging either pedal into the rotary pedal input.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Stokely

Odd electro 6d sustain/rotary behavior

Sponsor

Re: Odd electro 6d sustain/rotary behavior

Postby Stokely » 17 May 2019, 17:58

Well...in the manual this part seems possibly the issue, from the system menu, rotor pedal section:
"FUNC (FUNCTION)
This allows for changing the functionality of a connected rotor pedal.
With Rotor Hold the rotor speed is fast as long as the pedal is down,
going back to slow when the pedal is released. Rotor Toggle means that
the fast/slow rotor speed is switched with each pedal depression.
Range: Rotor Hold (default), Rotor Toggle"

Certainly I'm wanting Rotor Toggle, and not hold. The confusing thing then is: how is it working at all if I'm just pressing the pedal and letting go? As I mentioned, it tends to "stick" after a couple tries.

I'm at work now, but this will be the first thing I check when I get home. I don't remember changing this value, so it's probably set to "Rotor Hold".
Stokely

Postby maxpiano » 17 May 2019, 18:20

Check that the Rotor Pedal type is correctly set (in the system menu) to match your switch type (Open or Closed at rest)
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Stokely » 17 May 2019, 19:49

Thanks maxpiano.

I went home for lunch and played around a bit. I found that it was set to "toggle" and not "hold". Changing to hold worked exactly as expected with no odd behavior; unfortunately I don't want to have to hold a pedal down LOL!

I tried open, closed and even half-moon, but the behavior persisted. If anything, I noticed it being more odd than I did previously--holding for say 4 seconds would "catch" about 80% of the time.

Long story short, I may have fixed it by simply restarting the Nord with the pedal already attached. Now, I have been bitten before with trying to use a pedal after a keyboard is already on--several different keyboards--and typically I connect everything first. But the fact remains that it *mostly* fixed the issue when testing with my big ol m-audio pedal. Like, much improved, and the few that didn't "catch" may be due to the long throw and age of that pedal...I didn't have time to test with my little live pedal to see if it worked 100%.

So hopefully this is a non-issue moving forward, I'll have to be more diligent about plugging in the pedal first before powering the Nord (if that indeed is all it was).
Stokely

Postby baekgaard » 18 May 2019, 00:33

This is most likely an issue work your pedal(s).

Some well-used pedals have a zone where they switch on and off rapidly when you press them down or release them. In hold mode, this is never visible to you, but in toggle mode, it results in a series of rapid toggles. If it happens to do this an even number of times, it will revert back to the starting modev instead of changing to the other mode.

Try a better/new pedal... Most of my Roland pedals have started doing this at some point, and then I replace them.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby westharp » 18 May 2019, 03:00

I have the same problems with my NS3 Compact. The Rotary Switch Input seems to be very sensitive/picky concerning the type of pedal used.
This never was a problem with my Nord Electro 5D 73.

I tried 4-5 different FS-5Us: some worked better than others (although every pedal works fine as a sustain pedal). It really seems to depend on the age of the pedal.
I ended up buying a new Yamaha FC5 and use this pedal for the rotary switch now.
westharp

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby maxpiano » 18 May 2019, 07:02

If you want to use it as Rotor Toggle, you may consider using an on/off (latched) switch rather than a temporary one.
Last edited by maxpiano on 18 May 2019, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby CountFosco » 18 May 2019, 07:34

I have a similar behaviour using the Nord sustain pedal on my 5d. I have 3 of those pedals parked at various rehearsal venues - 2 of them seem to do it, and one is noticeably worse. My feeling is it's to do with double triggering due to a noisy trigger signal. I notice if I'm quite deliberate with the pedal motion, it usually triggers OK, but if I just tap the pedal lightly or quickly, the double triggering is more likely to happen. It means for one band, I'm constantly watching the fast/slow LED to have some confidence in where I'm at.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby Stokely » 19 May 2019, 21:46

Welp, the end of the story is a happy one, as after I rebooted the Nord with one of my Yamaha fc5s plugged in it worked flawlessly. Not sure if this was the same fc5 (out of two, one for each keyboard) that I had hooked up at the last two gigs--one is at least a year older than the other, so it's possible that randomly I picked the older one both gigs. Packed my stuff up and had two gigs yesterday (oi, tired....) and it worked 100%. I put a red velcro cable tie on that fc5 (:D) so I know which one to use!

Very, very glad to know there isn't a problem with the electro...I figured there wasn't but it feels good to resolve it.

If I end up not using piano from the nord keyboard--right now I just use the pc3 piano--I may just get a toggle switch as suggested by maxpiano if this fc5 ever starts getting flaky. It's not perfect for doing on-off, as it occasionally can be hard to tell in the heat of battle that you pressed it or not (that problem partially caused by my pedal moving, I need to make a pedalboard....)
Last edited by Stokely on 19 May 2019, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
Stokely

Return to Nord Electro Forum