Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby CountFosco » 17 May 2019, 14:46

Now now cgrafx and anotherscott. There's no need to rub it in. Ponkine's bought a keyboard without understanding what it can and can't do. It's not his fault, it's clearly someone else's. Leave the poor guy alone.

You know what would be really cool? How about if the manufacturers made the manuals for their products available to read online before you buy?

The author CountFosco was thanked by 2 members, including:
anotherscottTracii
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Sponsor

Postby maxpiano » 17 May 2019, 15:21

CountFosco wrote:Now now cgrafx and anotherscott. There's no need to rub it in. Ponkine's bought a keyboard without understanding what it can and can't do. It's not his fault, it's clearly someone else's. Leave the poor guy alone.

You know what would be really cool? How about if the manufacturers made the manuals for their products available to read online before you buy?

:roll:
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 May 2019, 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Tracii » 17 May 2019, 16:04

CountFosco wrote:Now now cgrafx and anotherscott. There's no need to rub it in. Ponkine's bought a keyboard without understanding what it can and can't do. It's not his fault, it's clearly someone else's. Leave the poor guy alone.

:lol:

To be fair, ponkine never said he had bought the Electro without checking whether it can do synth/synth splits - that was Adri-L, the OP.

There seems a strong sense sense of entitlement, though. I wonder why? :?: It's not like we are forced to buy Nords and then left with their shortcomings. Why don't you just sell your Electro and buy something that delivers what you want? Life is too short to be unhappy. :thumbup:
Last edited by Tracii on 17 May 2019, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Tracii

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby ponkine » 17 May 2019, 18:26

Your irony didn't work mate

I haven't bought an electro yet

THIS is a dealbreaker feature. If they don't implement in the near future, then I won't be buying it

If you don't want an instrument to give its full potential, that's you. But many of us do want that. That's why we've been suggesting a lot of things.
If we were just "hey, thanks Nord to give us another keyboard! Yay! We'll be queueing outside the store to buy it!" type of fans, they've never implemented splits, layers, smooth transitions, more memory and sounds, etc and we'd still be in the Electro 4 territory
ponkine

Postby anotherscott » 17 May 2019, 18:42

ponkine wrote:THIS is a dealbreaker feature. If they don't implement in the near future, then I won't be buying ity

Well, people have asked for ten years and they haven't done it, so I'd bet strong on "not in the near future."

So what other features do you need? (So people can make recommendations of something else to buy instead.)
anotherscott

Postby CountFosco » 18 May 2019, 07:16

ponkine wrote:Your irony didn't work mate

I haven't bought an electro yet

Oh right. I apologise. Here's me, thinking you're arguing how limited the Electro is, with a bunch of Electro owners, having actually played one. My mistake.

I reread some of your posts. The deal breakers are you want to be able to split rompler sounds, and you want pitch bend? Why is the Electro even in the mix for you? Unless you're predominantly playing organs, EP, AP, it's the wrong board.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Postby anotherscott » 18 May 2019, 15:44

Okay, so let's consider some good alternatives... Electro price range or under, with organ-drawbar control but also with pitch wheel and more flexible splits, and still with mostly seamless sound switching:

I think Kurzweil Artis 7 might be the best choice here.
Trade-offs: Seamless switching won't work when switching away from most organ sounds; seamless switching can sometimes have effects glitches (depending on the effects used on the sounds you're switching from and to); fewer real-time controls; no custom sample loading. But with a computer or iPad, a lot more editing can be done than you can do on the Electro, it has a full synth engine in it, in that way more like the Nord Stage. It also functions as a 4-zone MIDI controller, and has a better patch selection scheme than Electro (you can directly get to all your sounds without scrolling). You can download additional sounds (from their PC3), though the process is not well documented. You can split/layer up to four sounds any way you want. Organ is pretty good, but not nearly as good as Nord. It only has one (non-changeable) high quality grand piano sample, a 128 mb Steinway. But there are always trade-offs, and especially with limited funds, you have to choose what's more important to you.

Other possibilities you could consider, with different trade-offs:

* Roland VR-09/VR-730 -- very limited in its seamless sound switching abilities; can't have different effects on your split/layered sounds; can't load new sounds into it (except for some synth patches); can't direct different sounds to different outputs. But it adds some nice synth functions (editable via iPad).

* Numa Compact 2X -- very limited in its seamless sound switching abilities; very limited effects; can't load new sounds into it (though some reports say that might be coming); can't direct different sounds to different outputs; usually need to use scroll knob to change sounds; poor organ rotary/overdrive. On the plus side, it's cheap, has 88 keys and aftertouch, some nice synth functions, good MIDI functions, and built-in speakers.

* Numa Compact 2X PLUS a GSI Gemini sound module -- still in budget, gives you much better organ and a nice selection of additional sounds and effects capabilities.
anotherscott

Postby florence » 01 Aug 2019, 10:08

alex78 wrote:Hi! The E6 can do splits but those can be only between different sections, e.g. organ+piano, piano+synth etc, but not synth+synth. Please corect me if I'm wrong, I don't have a 6...
However, with the sample editor you can create a sample instrument of your own containing two (or more) different samples, defining exactly where you want the split point to be and then load it in your electro. This can be done with sounds you have recorded in wav. format (from your electro or any other instrument) but not with samples from the nord sample library (they are already in nsmp. format). If you study how the editor works you will find it's quite easy. This way I have made some sample instruments with splits for my E4, although this model does not support splits.
Good luck!

Hi, I would like to do the same, but use a Nord sample as starting point and edit only few notes to import my own samples. is that possible?
My free online tool to view Nord Stage programs https://ns3-program-viewer.cyclic.app
florence
Patch Creator

Postby Normski » 01 Aug 2019, 10:11

florence wrote:
alex78 wrote:Hi! The E6 can do splits but those can be only between different sections, e.g. organ+piano, piano+synth etc, but not synth+synth. Please corect me if I'm wrong, I don't have a 6...
However, with the sample editor you can create a sample instrument of your own containing two (or more) different samples, defining exactly where you want the split point to be and then load it in your electro. This can be done with sounds you have recorded in wav. format (from your electro or any other instrument) but not with samples from the nord sample library (they are already in nsmp. format). If you study how the editor works you will find it's quite easy. This way I have made some sample instruments with splits for my E4, although this model does not support splits.
Good luck!

Hi, I would like to do the same, but use a Nord sample as starting point and edit only few notes to import my own samples. is that possible?

Hi florence
Unfortunately No.

The author Normski was thanked by:
florence
Normski

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 6

Postby maxpiano » 01 Aug 2019, 10:20

florence wrote:
Good luck!

Hi,

not directly, as an existing .nsmp cannot be edited. You need to resample that Nord Sample into one or more .wav files, depending on the sound complexity/changes across the notes range, then re-process ( i.e. assign to keys and loop, if needed), those .wav files together with your .wav samples, in a new NSE project.
Last edited by maxpiano on 01 Aug 2019, 10:30, edited 9 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
florence
maxpiano
Patch Creator

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Electro Forum