This is the right place if your topic concerns different Nord Keyboards, you are not sure which one is the right one for you, etc.

New electric and acoustic guitar colection

Postby alex78 » 10 May 2019, 01:41

An interesting new sample collection by nord : https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-sample-library-30/latest
I wonder why they haven't released any really good overdrive guitar sample yet. Ok, it's not common for a keyboardist to play guitar parts, every band has a guitarist for that, but sometimes it's good to have a decent guitar sound for some riffs when the guitarist is soloing!
Last edited by alex78 on 10 May 2019, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

New electric and acoustic guitar colection

Sponsor

Re: New electric and acoustic guitar colection

Postby PScooter63 » 10 May 2019, 01:53

Yep, I'll be making room for almost all of these! I'd previously made do with a lone custom ES335 sampleset; somewhat uneven, but better sounding than all the existing guitar library.

I'm gigging tomorrow night, so I know what I'll be doing for the next few hours...

THANKS, CLAVIA!! :thumbup:
PScooter63

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 4

Postby Sampletekk » 10 May 2019, 08:18

alex78 wrote:An interesting new sample collection by nord : https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-sample-library-30/latest
I wonder why they haven't released any really good overdrive guitar sample yet. Ok, it's not common for a keyboardist to play guitar parts, every band has a guitarist for that, but sometimes it's good to have a decent guitar sound for some riffs when the guitarist is soloing!

Try the onboard distortion! Sampling guitars with distortion/overdrive is usually not a good idea since the distorted sound should be a result of all the notes, together. If you sample a guitar wit dist, you get a separate distortion per sample, and that's not very natural sounding.

The author Sampletekk was thanked by 2 members, including:
Marlowesmaxpiano
Sampletekk

Postby maxpiano » 10 May 2019, 08:42

Sampletekk wrote:
alex78 wrote:An interesting new sample collection by nord : https://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-sample-library-30/latest

Try the onboard distortion! Sampling guitars with distortion/overdrive is usually not a good idea since the distorted sound should be a result of all the notes, together. If you sample a guitar wit dist, you get a separate distortion per sample, and that's not very natural sounding.

Makes a lot of sense to me :thumbup:
Last edited by maxpiano on 10 May 2019, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby alex78 » 10 May 2019, 21:50

I agree, that's why no keyboard can emulate perfectly the overdrive guitar sound. I use a Nord wave for this type of sounds and it's tube amp effect sounds very bad in high levels, so when I use it I prefer keeping it very low just to boost up the overall sound a little bit. If I want a full distortion sound I can't achieve it only with the onboard drive effect. However I have found some distorted guitar samples made by other users in this forum that sound pretty good (better than clavia's stuff for my taste), especially with a small amount of reverb, some chorus (1st or 2nd setting), a very subtle tube amp level, comp filter and some eq. For even richer sound I put a distorted organ on the second slot and blend it all together with the guitar distinctively louder than the organ. It sounds just fine!
alex78
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby cphollis » 16 May 2019, 02:36

Jeez. I play in this acoustic trio, and I remapped about a dozen tunes to the new guitar samples. Did a party gig last night. It was very, very good.

For example, we do "Girl From Ipanema". It sounded like a masterful acoustic guitarist on stage, but it was just me. Such a sweet sound, really. I do stuff that would be hard for 99% of guitarists. More fingers?

We also do "Danny's Song". I did all the finger picking parts, sounded amazing. Plus a few more. Seriously impressive. There's now a bunch of songs within reach (as I'm the only real instrument) like "Can't Find My Way Home".

If you do acoustic material, this is one to check out! Who knew I could be such an amazing comping guitarist?
Last edited by cphollis on 16 May 2019, 02:43, edited 1 time in total.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
PScooter63
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Return to General Nord Forum