Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby alex78 » 14 May 2019, 16:58

And only 49 keys....
alex78
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 28 Feb 2019, 01:55
Country: Greece
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?


Sponsor
 

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby anotherscott » 14 May 2019, 18:37

alex78 wrote:I believe the reason for not allowing loading of samples to the piano memory is a matter of engineering. The piano files have different encoding than the sample files so the piano section can not read nsmp file formats

Bu Nord could certainly take the simple nsmp samples and create npno format files that contain those samples, if they were so inclined.
anotherscott
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 04:50
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 804 times

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby ponkine » 14 May 2019, 18:57

anotherscott wrote:
alex78 wrote:Bu Nord could certainly take the simple nsmp samples and create npno format files that contain those samples


This is what I'm talking about

As with the pitch bend control, really hope they'll listen to us

:clap: :clap: :clap:
User avatar
ponkine
 
Posts: 41
Joined: 11 May 2019, 05:57
Country: Chile
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby baekgaard » 14 May 2019, 19:07

anotherscott wrote:
alex78 wrote:I believe the reason for not allowing loading of samples to the piano memory is a matter of engineering. The piano files have different encoding than the sample files so the piano section can not read nsmp file formats

Bu Nord could certainly take the simple nsmp samples and create npno format files that contain those samples, if they were so inclined.
I'm sure they could -- but to make it useful they would also need to add ADR enveloping to the samples in the piano part, as well as velocity filtering (and some way to dial in those settings).

So I agree; it is not the specifics of the format that makes this unlikely - even though some changes to the npno format world be needed to store the additional parameters.
baekgaard
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 11:32
Country: Denmark
Has thanked: 466 times
Been thanked: 565 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby anotherscott » 14 May 2019, 20:00

baekgaard wrote:
anotherscott wrote:But Nord could certainly take the simple nsmp samples and create npno format files that contain those samples, if they were so inclined.
I'm sure they could -- but to make it useful they would also need to add ADR enveloping to the samples in the piano part, as well as velocity filtering (and some way to dial in those settings)..

Look at how they handled the nsmp samples on the Electro 3, they provided very few ways to modify the sample (just velocity response on/off; slow attack on/off; and a few release options), and repurposed the piano controls to do them. It was more than enough to do quite a lot with that board... and it would be useful with even less. I would find it sufficient if they merely supported the piano Long Release button to toggle between an immediate or decaying release, and Kybd Touch to turn velocity dynamics on or off. They should keep it simple. The true "sample synth" section is there when you need to further manipulate the sound, the idea here would be just to have some basic ability to split/layer a second synth sound, not to duplicate everything you could do with your main one.
anotherscott
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 04:50
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 804 times

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby baekgaard » 14 May 2019, 20:36

anotherscott wrote:
baekgaard wrote:
anotherscott wrote:But Nord could certainly take the simple nsmp samples and create npno format files that contain those samples, if they were so inclined.
I'm sure they could -- but to make it useful they would also need to add ADR enveloping to the samples in the piano part, as well as velocity filtering (and some way to dial in those settings)..

Look at how they handled the nsmp samples on the Electro 3, they provided very few ways to modify the sample (just velocity response on/off; slow attack on/off; and a few release options), and repurposed the piano controls to do them. It was more than enough to do quite a lot with that board... and it would be useful with even less. I would find it sufficient if they merely supported the piano Long Release button to toggle between an immediate or decaying release, and Kybd Touch to turn velocity dynamics on or off. They should keep it simple. The true "sample synth" section is there when you need to further manipulate the sound, the idea here would be just to have some basic ability to split/layer a second synth sound, not to duplicate everything you could do with your main one.
I didn't say it could not be done. I just said they needed to do it, one way or the other :-) The functionality you suggest isn't there now, and based on how we have seen features come into the latest generation, it is likely not just about changing a compile flag or something.

... the point being it is NOT just an issue of converting the sample format to npno. Nord would need to add new functionality too.

But in the end, none of us know. We can just speculate. Or have opinions. As mentioned, mine is that it is not likely to happen, and I think it would also somehow conflict with the Nord philosophy.

I may need entirely wrong, though - and on this point be happy to be proven wrong :-)
baekgaard
 
Posts: 1270
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 11:32
Country: Denmark
Has thanked: 466 times
Been thanked: 565 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby anotherscott » 15 May 2019, 13:56

baekgaard wrote:I didn't say it could not be done. I just said they needed to do it, one way or the other :-) The functionality you suggest isn't there now

Even if they didn't implement any functionality that wasn't there, it would be useful to be able to just put nsmp sounds into the piano section, even with no new envelope or velocity controls.

baekgaard wrote:We can just speculate. Or have opinions. As mentioned, mine is that it is not likely to happen, and I think it would also somehow conflict with the Nord philosophy.

Sadly, my opinion is the same as yours. ;-)

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
baekgaard
anotherscott
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 04:50
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 804 times

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby ponkine » 15 May 2019, 14:25

anotherscott wrote:Even if they didn't implement any functionality that wasn't there, it would be useful to be able to just put nsmp sounds into the piano section, even with no new envelope or velocity controls.


Yes, that alone would make the Electro much more flexible and with greater value as a performer instrument

:keyboard:

The main 2 criticisms regarding to Nord in general around there in music/keyboard/synths forums are

1- Lack of memory.
2- Lack of flexibility of the instruments. Specially compared with instruments of the similar price range.

They've increased the memory on the Electro 6. Now we need them to care attention to the second point.
:thanks:
Last edited by ponkine on 15 May 2019, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ponkine
 
Posts: 41
Joined: 11 May 2019, 05:57
Country: Chile
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby MvanD » 15 May 2019, 19:26

I don't think it will ever happen.
The Electro is a piano/organ machine. The fact that it can play samples too, is a bonus.
User avatar
MvanD
Patch Creator
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 06 Mar 2009, 18:30
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 102 times
Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Re: Split with two synth sounds - Not Possible?

Postby ponkine » 15 May 2019, 21:15

MvanD wrote:I don't think it will ever happen.


That can easily happen!

They can make the Sample library available as .npno files as well and that's it!. No need to modify the keyboard.

Imagine the endless possibilities

:D
User avatar
ponkine
 
Posts: 41
Joined: 11 May 2019, 05:57
Country: Chile
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 3 times

PreviousNext

Return to Nord Electro Forum



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests