All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Qsc K8.2 issues

Postby Pollitos » 12 May 2019, 20:19

Hi peeps. Anyone had problems with K8.2?
I bought a pair as I needed to upgrade our PA, and with a view to buying a Piano 4 or Stage 3 soon. Mostly Vocal and piano small gigs and weddings maybe some jazz Latin combo gigs. No brainier right?
So the speakers arrived and we set them up in the kitchen with a zed 10fx and a ksm9 to test and found that both speakers had an internal rattle at around middle Bb if you ooh into the mic, even at low volume. One more noticeably than the other.
We tried different mics, leads, going direct in. Same result. Tried pressing on various parts of the cab and knobs mic inserts etc we’re sure it’s from inside the cab.
Perhaps at loud volume maybe not noticeable but often our gigs are pin drop quiet and low volume.
Anyway we sent them back as faulty and ordered replacements.
New ones arrived and guess what? Same thing. Not sure they aren’t even the same pair.
Honestly I feel slightly sick in my stomach. This is a major investment for me. These are supposed to be the dogs b right? And you guys love them. Do they all do that buzz? Am I missing something? I’ve found similar problems in srm350 that was a handle buzzing and my alto ts208 break up if you shout into them but k8.2s should be smooth all the way up. No funny business at all?

Any suggestions or opinions welcome. I’m thinking to return them and refund to shop elsewhere so sure of different stock. Maybe there are equally good alternatives. The Cp8 small size and weight sounds handy or maybe Altos Ts310 or 308 nice and cheap. Yamaha Dxr8?

Thanks for your inspiring posts everyone I’m sold on getting a Nord soon anyway ! :)
Pollitos

Qsc K8.2 issues

Sponsor

Re: Qsc K8.2 issues

Postby cphollis » 12 May 2019, 21:49

Every time I thought the K8.2s were rattling, I tracked it down to a nearby piece of hardware that was rattling, not the speakers. One time it was the speaker poles. Another time it was a mic stand. And so on.

These speakers put out a lot of power, and can easily make nearby stuff vibrate -- hard and loud.

Best of luck!
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby Pollitos » 12 May 2019, 23:31

Thanks yeah me and the wife really tried hard to rule out anything outside the cab. I’ll try one last time tomorrow before I call in the return. Don’t want to handle too much though in case I lose money on the return. It was Dv247. I wasn’t too impressed with the packaging maybe they were rough handled in transit but K8.2 should live a gig life eh? 8-)
Pollitos

Postby danrv » 13 May 2019, 13:21

Pollitos wrote:Hi peeps. Anyone had problems with K8.2?
I bought a pair as I needed to upgrade our PA, and with a view to buying a Piano 4 or Stage 3 soon. Mostly Vocal and piano small gigs and weddings maybe some jazz Latin combo gigs. No brainier right?
So the speakers arrived and we set them up in the kitchen with a zed 10fx and a ksm9 to test and found that both speakers had an internal rattle at around middle Bb if you ooh into the mic, even at low volume. One more noticeably than the other.
We tried different mics, leads, going direct in. Same result. Tried pressing on various parts of the cab and knobs mic inserts etc we’re sure it’s from inside the cab.
Perhaps at loud volume maybe not noticeable but often our gigs are pin drop quiet and low volume.
Anyway we sent them back as faulty and ordered replacements.
New ones arrived and guess what? Same thing. Not sure they aren’t even the same pair.
Honestly I feel slightly sick in my stomach. This is a major investment for me. These are supposed to be the dogs b right? And you guys love them. Do they all do that buzz? Am I missing something? I’ve found similar problems in srm350 that was a handle buzzing and my alto ts208 break up if you shout into them but k8.2s should be smooth all the way up. No funny business at all?

Any suggestions or opinions welcome. I’m thinking to return them and refund to shop elsewhere so sure of different stock. Maybe there are equally good alternatives. The Cp8 small size and weight sounds handy or maybe Altos Ts310 or 308 nice and cheap. Yamaha Dxr8?

Yes, a bit annoying. Maybe try them somewhere else in the house or outside. Also go through the various
EQ presets to see if that makes any difference.
When I first bought my DXR10s, one of them had an electronic buzz whenever I played one particular note
on my Stage 2 Rhodes sound.
Sent it back for a replacement and now fine.

If no luck and looking for an alternative, the DXR8 would do nicely if not using the speaker as a floor monitor.
DXR10 has monitor angle ability.
The Altos sound good as well (I have a TS210). Fine for low key stuff but they don’t have the SPL or power of the Yamahas. Not surprising given the price difference.
Nord Stage 2 HA76, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Roland XP80, Yamaha P140, Yamaha PSR2000 , 2 x Yamaha DXR10, Roland KC150, Toa D3 line mixer, Quiklok 2 tier X stand.
danrv

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby JayDee » 13 May 2019, 17:14

Check the unique serial numbers on each unit to make sure they aren't sending the same pair back to you. Good luck mate
JayDee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Pollitos » 14 May 2019, 18:04

Wish I had done that last batch but sending them back regardless and going with another company. Wasn’t too impressed with the different outer packing this time and one speaker missing instructions and qsc checked certificates that last ones had. Something fishy going on....
Still tempted by the cp8 size even k8.2 feel heavy after altos!
Pollitos

Postby redhed98037 » 30 Aug 2023, 05:25

It's been a few years since your post - I am having the same issue. Did you find a fix??
redhed98037

Postby HalfSwede » 04 Sep 2023, 21:35

I think you maybe describing similar problem in thread accessories-and-amplification-f8/qsc-k8-2-problem-t22365.html#p153119. I persisted with warranty repair. All credit to engineer who came to my home and spent about 5 hours taking all internal parts out, swapping out amp, to search offending loose part. It did improve very substantially since then. Note the latches for XLR easily rattle so I put tape over then. QSC were reluctant to replace and rather fathom problem out. Glad that has been right call for me. Love their sound. Also use with Zed 10. I carefully controlled not external device rattling by testing in various environments. Hope you find a fix.
Nord 6HP, QSCK8.2’s, K&M 18880 + 18881 stand, DX7
HalfSwede

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby Ledbetter » 10 Sep 2023, 10:39

You can make just about any speaker resonate if you find the right frequency. I’ve had ap air I bought used two years ago and couldn’t be happier with them. There is a firmware update available, but I haven’t installed it. Good luck.
Nord Stage 3, Electro 5D, 4D, Lead 2x, Moog Voyager, Little and Slim Phatties, Kawai KG-2C 6 foot grand,
Ledbetter
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead 1/2/2x

Return to Accessories and Amplification