General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Best way to audition different pianos

Postby psionic11 » 11 May 2019, 19:15

I got my Stage 2 HA76 2 days ago (first time Nord owner :thumbup: ), and I've enjoyed getting to know the instrument. I'm ready now to explore all the different pianos (and sample libraries) to determine which ones to keep on my NS2.

It's taking 14 minutes to install just the XL Bosendorfer onto my NS2. I plan on going through all pianos, like in a sports competition, and through the process of elimination find and keep the best ones for me. Should I just audition the Small samples first, then work my way up?

What's the main sound quality difference between the different sizes of the pianos? Velocity layers?

Having only 500MB of piano memory, I'll probably only have one XL piano of choice, a couple Large, and a few Med with what memory is left. I won't be using any harpsichord, clavinet, etc.
psionic11

Best way to audition different pianos

Sponsor

Re: Best way to audition different pianos

Postby maxpiano » 11 May 2019, 19:43

I suggest you test using M sized pianos, so at least you get pedal down samples in the relevant (mid) keys region.

For differences between different sizes, you can read about it in the Information page of Nord Piano Library (and/or search existing discussions on that topic in this forum)
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 May 2019, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by:
psionic11
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby Spider » 11 May 2019, 20:15

I created a program on my Stage2 dedicated exclusively to the purpose of auditioning pianos.

Both panels active, only the piano section is on with identical settings on both: no effects, no EQ, no amp sim, long release and string resonance on.
So it's just the plain piano sound at its bare minimum.
The only difference is that Panel A has max volume morphed to zero by the control pedal, while Panel B has zero volume morphed to max.
This way, when one piano goes out, the other fades in.

You just select different pianos on the two panels, and you can audition them easily, switching back and forth between them with the control pedal without taking your hands off the keys.
Last edited by Spider on 11 May 2019, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

The author Spider was thanked by:
psionic11
Spider

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2 EX
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby psionic11 » 11 May 2019, 21:14

Found the description on the Piano Library Information page, thanks, I missed that while researching.

Sorry I didn't think of using Search, I should know better. The "Decisions, Decisions" thread is exactly what I was looking for.

Most interesting tidbit from that thread:
-- L Bosie better than XL Bosie for many (me too)
-- M sizes ~= L sizes
-- you can mix/combine piano multisamples into one piano sample (guessing via Nord Sample Editor)

Looks like I'll be loading M sized samples for the most part.
psionic11

Postby psionic11 » 11 May 2019, 21:19

Spider wrote:I created a program on my Stage2 dedicated exclusively to the purpose of auditioning pianos.

Both panels active, only the piano section is on with identical settings on both: no effects, no EQ, no amp sim, long release and string resonance on.
So it's just the plain piano sound at its bare minimum.
The only difference is that Panel A has max volume morphed to zero by the control pedal, while Panel B has zero volume morphed to max.
This way, when one piano goes out, the other fades in.

You just select different pianos on the two panels, and you can audition them easily, switching back and forth between them with the control pedal without taking your hands off the keys.

I've done something similar, putting identical settings on slot A and B. With only the pianos loaded, just a couple quick taps on the Piano Model loads the test pianos. Going back and forth using slot A and slot B button is super easy.

I thought it was hype, but having front panel access to most parameters really does make a huge difference to workflow. I'm surfing around speedily like I'm a pro!
psionic11

Postby maxpiano » 11 May 2019, 22:36

psionic11 wrote:
-- you can mix/combine piano multisamples into one piano sample (guessing via Nord Sample Editor)

Ehm... no you can't, .npno are not user editable, .nsmp (Synth Samples) can be created using NSE from raw (.wav) samples, but existing .nsmp cannot be edited either.
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 May 2019, 22:39, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby anotherscott » 11 May 2019, 23:17

maxpiano wrote:
psionic11 wrote:

Ehm... no you can't, .npno are not user editable

True, but I saw an interesting idea elsewhere, of using two panels with split to combine the lower keys of one piano sample with the upper keys of another. And of course, you can layer two pianos to "mix/combine" them as well.
anotherscott

Postby maxpiano » 11 May 2019, 23:22

anotherscott wrote:
maxpiano wrote:
psionic11 wrote:

Ehm... no you can't, .npno are not user editable

True, but I saw an interesting idea elsewhere, of using two panels with split to combine the lower keys of one piano sample with the upper keys of another. And of course, you can layer two pianos to "mix/combine" them as well.

Yes I saw that too, but personally I am not really for it if increasing realism is the objective, at lest for acoustic pianos (Grands and Uprights); with the split the difference is audible and in both cases (split/mix) the result is even more "artificial" than using a single piano sample set (imho). Mixing EPs is a bit better (I have one patch made with EP1 and EP6, to add some more mechanical noise), but now with v6 EPs I feel it is less necessary.
Last edited by maxpiano on 11 May 2019, 23:26, edited 3 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby psionic11 » 12 May 2019, 00:30

Kirsty posted this in Feb 2018 on the Decisions, Decisions thread:

[quote=Kirsty]Concert Steinway - a mixed piano I made by using the Ambient Concert Grand (L) upto C2 and the Close Concert (L) for the upper section... I find the Ambient sounds gorgeous low, and is unplayable higher up so this is my compromise and love playing this at home for various solo stuff.[/quote]

I guess she just meant she makes a split with the 2 pianos, not an actual combined multisample.
psionic11

Postby maxpiano » 12 May 2019, 07:57

psionic11 wrote:Kirsty posted this in Feb 2018 on the Decisions, Decisions thread:

Concert Steinway - a mixed piano I made by using the Ambient Concert Grand (L) upto C2 and the Close Concert (L) for the upper section... I find the Ambient sounds gorgeous low, and is unplayable higher up so this is my compromise and love playing this at home for various solo stuff.

I guess she just meant she makes a split with the 2 pianos, not an actual combined multisample.

Yes correct, as you mentioned Nord Sample Editor my reply was focused on that (i.e to highlight that you cannot use it to modify or create Piano Library samples). On a Nord stage you can of course split or layer 2 pianos, if you like it.
Last edited by maxpiano on 12 May 2019, 07:59, edited 2 times in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Forum