Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Settings Changing Randomly

Postby Comanche5 » 06 May 2019, 18:55

My first post! Though I wish it wasn't about problem. My Electro 4 has starting randomly changing effects settings. Sometimes it occurs when switching to a new program. Other times randomly while playing. For example, the EQ turns on or the speaker/comp turns out for no reason. I've searched the forum and only found 1 or 2 instances and nothing discussing a solution.

I've owned the keyboard since it was new. It gets gigged 2-4/month, but I treat all my gear with extremely well.

Any thoughts on what is going on?
Comanche5

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Settings Changing Randomly

Sponsor

Re: Settings Changing Randomly

Postby afroskully » 06 May 2019, 19:05

I had this issue with my electro 2. a small red dot on the display that denotes a change of parameters would spontaneously show up. apparently something would happen with the potentiometers where it would just change on the spot to whatever the new position would be, even if I didnt move it. It got annoying, especially when the EQ knob would be affected. I solved the issue by just zero-ing out (or maxing out) the knob before changing sounds. sometimes that would work, sometimes it wouldnt.

Now with the E5, a similar issue happens. An asterisk which denotes parameter change shows up on some programs spontaneously but this time it doesnt seem to affect the sound. I even had the main circuit board switched out while it was under warranty but it still happens.
afroskully

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Comanche5 » 06 May 2019, 19:51

Wow, same issues on two separate keyboards! I'm having a hard time judging whether still problem is pervasive or not. I've found only a few threads so far.
Comanche5

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 4

Postby pablomastodon » 10 May 2019, 16:03

after ~5 years of gigging frequently in marinas and beachfront bars, etc., my NS2 began to have these issues. It is caused by dirty pots. The pots can be cleaned or replaced. I found that thorough cleaning by spraying de-oxit into the weep holes on the backs of affected pots eliminated the problem, but also eliminated the lube inside the pot such that they no longer felt nice to the touch -- too loose and easy to turn -- so I swapped them out.

hope this helps...

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby Cute James » 03 Oct 2022, 06:06

Hi Pablo,

pablomastodon wrote:after ~5 years of gigging frequently in marinas and beachfront bars, etc., my NS2 began to have these issues. It is caused by dirty pots. The pots can be cleaned or replaced. I found that thorough cleaning by spraying de-oxit into the weep holes on the backs of affected pots eliminated the problem, but also eliminated the lube inside the pot such that they no longer felt nice to the touch -- too loose and easy to turn -- so I swapped them out.

hope this helps...

bless, pablo

Thanks for your post on this.

I actually responded to a thread from a fellow NE3SW73 owner almost 10 years ago:
nord-electro-forum-f9/nord-changing-settings-by-itself-at-random-t3865.html#p23720

Unfortunately, my Electro 3 is suffering from the same problem. Initially, it wasn't so bad, and turning the pots to the min/max position would be enough to "fix" the issue.
However, these days it's really noticeable. At a band practise last Saturday, the reverb on an organ sound I was using kept bumping to maximum every few seconds. I had to keep on re-selecting the memory button with my left hand in order to get through a solo.

I'm playing a gig at the end of the month, so am wondering the best option. Should I try to open-up my Nord and spray-in de-oxit, as you recommended, or should I leave it to a professional technician to check and (hopefully) resolve?
In Japan, Nord instruments are distributed by Yamaha, so I would probably need to send it to Tokyo in order to be checked.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
James
x
My mind says Kawai, but my heart says Nord.
Cute James

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby Berretje » 04 Oct 2022, 12:33

Cute James wrote:Hi Pablo,

pablomastodon wrote:after ~5 years of gigging frequently in marinas and beachfront bars, etc., my NS2 began to have these issues. It is caused by dirty pots. The pots can be cleaned or replaced. I found that thorough cleaning by spraying de-oxit into the weep holes on the backs of affected pots eliminated the problem, but also eliminated the lube inside the pot such that they no longer felt nice to the touch -- too loose and easy to turn -- so I swapped them out.

hope this helps...

bless, pablo

Thanks for your post on this.

I actually responded to a thread from a fellow NE3SW73 owner almost 10 years ago:
nord-electro-forum-f9/nord-changing-settings-by-itself-at-random-t3865.html#p23720

Unfortunately, my Electro 3 is suffering from the same problem. Initially, it wasn't so bad, and turning the pots to the min/max position would be enough to "fix" the issue.
However, these days it's really noticeable. At a band practise last Saturday, the reverb on an organ sound I was using kept bumping to maximum every few seconds. I had to keep on re-selecting the memory button with my left hand in order to get through a solo.

I'm playing a gig at the end of the month, so am wondering the best option. Should I try to open-up my Nord and spray-in de-oxit, as you recommended, or should I leave it to a professional technician to check and (hopefully) resolve?
In Japan, Nord instruments are distributed by Yamaha, so I would probably need to send it to Tokyo in order to be checked.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,
James
x

Hi James,

You're replying on a 3 year old thread. Pablo is not active anymore on this forum. Unsure if he might see/read this anymore.
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper

The author Berretje was thanked by:
Cute James
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Postby Cute James » 05 Oct 2022, 02:53

Hello Berretje, thank you for your reply.

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread, it's been a while since I visited this forum, so did not realise that pablo is no longer posting here.

Not to worry, I may create a new post in the Electro forum.

Cheers,
James
x
My mind says Kawai, but my heart says Nord.

The author Cute James was thanked by:
Berretje
Cute James

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 3

Postby maharaji » 06 Oct 2022, 09:53

My Nord Electro 6HP 73 has been acting up lately. At a gig I am playing the grand piano sound and it randomly changes to Hammond B3 while I am playing. At other times it cuts out altogether and settings also change. I did a gig about a month ago where loading and unloading was done under heavy rain. Even with the Nord case it wasn't ideal. Since then I have had issues. Perhaps its damp? At the moment I have it on its stand in front of the heater.
maharaji

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Return to Nord Electro Forum