General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Stage 3 -Using outputs 3 & 4

Postby airlobster » 11 Mar 2018, 20:34

Is there a way with the Stage 3 to always assign the organ to outputs 3&4 instead of 1&2? i'm asking that because i'm looking into hooking the organ to an external Leslie.
Thanks!
Adi
Last edited by airlobster on 11 Mar 2018, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
airlobster

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Stage 3 -Using outputs 3 & 4

Sponsor

Re: Stage 3 -Using outputs 3 & 4

Postby analogika » 11 Mar 2018, 22:56

Yes, it’s possible. You need to set this in the system menu. You can decide whether output routing is for the entire machine, or whether it is set individually for each program.

It’s described on page 52 of the manual.

5 - OuTPuT ROuTInG MODe
Output routing for the nord stage 3 can be controlled in two different ways: In Program mode, output routings are stored with each individual program. When Global is selected, output routings are the same for all programs, overriding the routings stored with each program.
Range: Global (Default), Program
E In Program mode a manual Store operation is needed in order for changes to Output Routing settings to be saved.

6 - OuTPuT PAneL A/B
Output Routing settings below are made independently for each panel. use the Panel A and B buttons respectively for switching between them.

MAIn
This allows for setting which stereo output pair(s) or mono output to use for each panel.
Range: Stereo 1-2 (Default), 3-4, 3, 4, 1-4
E Sounds using the Rotary effect are always routed to outputs 1-2, regardless of Output Routing settings.

suB
Range: Rotor Hold (default), Rotor Toggle
Within each panel one sound engine (Organ, Piano or synth) can be routed independently of the Main output for that panel. This can be use- ful for routing electric piano sounds to a guitar ampli er or organ sounds to an external rotary speaker – or for any other scenario where sounds of different types should be handled on separate outputs.
The physical output for the selected sound engine is set by the Dest (Destination) setting – see below.
Range: Off (Default), Org, Pno, Syn

DesT
The Dest (Destination) setting determines to which output(s) the sound engine selected for the sub setting is routed.
Range: 1-2, 3-4, 3, 4”
E Note that the Reverb and Compressor effects are only present on the Main outputs selected for a panel.
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby airlobster » 12 Mar 2018, 07:53

I just got my Stage 3 Compact couple of days ago, so i guess i didn't go over the entire manual just yet :)
Thanks, i'll give it a try!
airlobster

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage Classic

Postby Shamango » 12 Mar 2018, 17:42

analogika wrote:Yes, it’s possible. You need to set this in the system menu. You can decide whether output routing is for the entire machine, or whether it is set individually for each program.

E Sounds using the Rotary effect are always routed to outputs 1-2, regardless of Output Routing settings.

E Note that the Reverb and Compressor effects are only present on the Main outputs selected for a panel.
[/quote]

Whatever I've tried, none of B3 Organ patches are heard through outputs 3-4. All other patches are heard through outputs 3-4, including Compressor and Reverb effects! This routing is important, among other things, because Nord Stage's awesome sound quality requires an expensive audio interface with super AD/DA convertors, or direct connection to an expensive sound system without conversion (in my case I'd like to have a permanent direct connection to Genelec monitors). Is there any way to make all patches sound through outputs 3-4? Thank you.
Shamango

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby analogika » 12 Mar 2018, 22:40

Shamango wrote:Whatever I've tried, none of B3 Organ patches are heard through outputs 3-4. All other patches are heard through outputs 3-4, including Compressor and Reverb effects!

In the quote from the manual, above:

MAIn
This allows for setting which stereo output pair(s) or mono output to use for each panel.
Range: Stereo 1-2 (Default), 3-4, 3, 4, 1-4
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2

Postby Jo Osantos1 » 06 May 2019, 16:59

Hello Guys,

I can't understand why the Hammond sound with Rotary effect can't be assined on both 1&2 and 3&4
Jo Osantos1

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby baekgaard » 06 May 2019, 18:30

Jo Osantos1 wrote:Hello Guys,

I can't understand why the Hammond sound with Rotary effect can't be assined on both 1&2 and 3&4

Well, it's hard for any of us to explain why :-) But I would guess that it could be related to the Rotary effect being someting special (maybe even "physically" hooked up to the output 1 and 2 chain), so there can be good reasons why Nord have done this. Maybe it would have required two different effects (and thus a more costly board) to allow it to work on 3 and 4... only Nord know.
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby RichardG » 07 May 2019, 08:58

baekgaard wrote:
Jo Osantos1 wrote:Hello Guys,

Well, it's hard for any of us to explain why :-) But I would guess that it could be related to the Rotary effect being someting special (maybe even "physically" hooked up to the output 1 and 2 chain), so there can be good reasons why Nord have done this. Maybe it would have required two different effects (and thus a more costly board) to allow it to work on 3 and 4... only Nord know.

Just a WAG but I think it'll give you the option per patch to either use the internal leslie and an external leslie without having to bother about the actual use of the internal leslie.
It also gives the possibility to use an external leslie for organ and internal leslie for synth.
The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.
RichardG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby pablomastodon » 10 May 2019, 15:59

if you're running your organ into a real Leslie, why would you also want to use the onboard Leslie on the organ at the same time?

disable onboard leslie and your organ will appear at outputs 3&4...

bless, pablo
bun fyah weh fyah fi bun
pablomastodon
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Wave

Postby emergingstates » 16 Feb 2023, 11:37

Can the headphone output be independent of the outputs 1-2 and 3-4? Thanks .
emergingstates

Next

Return to Nord Stage Forum