Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

How do you organize your programs?

Postby Mipendorf » 09 May 2019, 01:16

Hi,

Forgive me if this is redundant (though I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for).

I'm fairly new to keyboards and am playing my Nord Electro6 in a few different bands. One is a jazz combo, and I use an EP most of the time - occasionally the B3, another is a funk band where I use some EPs and B3 as well. I'm also beginning to play some country, and I'm using APs for that.

Do you folks organize your programs according to setlists, or do you group your programs in some other way? I'm thinking I'd like to group my programs by instrument (organ patches together, EPs together, APs together, etc), and then learn/remember where those programs reside. I'm really just wondering how folks switch quickly between different programs. I'm coming from an electric guitar perspective, where I can kick on or off a few floor pedals to achieve the tones I want quicky - certainly fast enough to do so during a song.

Thanks,
M
Mipendorf

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Sponsor

Postby Berretje » 09 May 2019, 09:53

Mipendorf wrote:Hi,

I'm really just wondering how folks switch quickly between different programs. I'm coming from an electric guitar perspective, where I can kick on or off a few floor pedals to achieve the tones I want quicky - certainly fast enougeh to do so during a song.

I don't organize anything (except from a separate bank for each band) inside the Nords.
I use Bandhelper for organizing my songs/setlists and patches are automatically being changed when selecting the song in Bandhelper.

Gr
Bart
Last edited by Berretje on 09 May 2019, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Gr Bart

Coverband Blush
Nord User Sounds - Program/Sample Collection

>> Check this awesome website to visually view the settings of your NS2/NS3 programs!

Current gear
Nord Stage 2 HA88
Yamaha Tyros 5
Connected with a MioXM and powered by Bandhelper
Berretje

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Re: How do you organize your programs?

Postby Schorsch » 09 May 2019, 10:12

So do I, which works like a charm
Regards Schorsch

Want to convert programs between NS2 and NS3?
Check this awesome website to visually view NS2/3 programs and re-create them on the other instrument!

Gear: NS3C, NS3 88, KeyLargo, Vent II ..

The author Schorsch was thanked by:
Berretje
Schorsch
Donator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby sus_4 » 10 May 2019, 15:50

Alphabetically. I use a 3-letter acronym for each band I play with, followed by song-name (usually shortened/abbreviated), followed by any custom identifier, if necessary ("intro", "solo", "brass", etc.). This makes it very easy for me to dial to a song without worrying about set lists or a called "audible" in the middle of a performance.
Nord Stage 3 SW73, Nord Electro 2 61, Behringer Model D, Studiologic SL88, Roli Seaboard Rise/Block, Korg Monologue, Yamaha Reface CP/DX, Lounsberry Tall & Fat / Organ Grinder, Neo Instruments Vent, CPS SS v.3, Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO.
sus_4

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby sus_4 » 10 May 2019, 15:52

Alphabetically. I use a 3-letter acronym for each band I play with, followed by song-name (usually shortened/abbreviated), followed by any custom identifier, if necessary ("intro", "solo", "brass", etc.). This makes it very easy for me to dial to a song without worrying about set lists or a called "audible" in the middle of a performance.
Nord Stage 3 SW73, Nord Electro 2 61, Behringer Model D, Studiologic SL88, Roli Seaboard Rise/Block, Korg Monologue, Yamaha Reface CP/DX, Lounsberry Tall & Fat / Organ Grinder, Neo Instruments Vent, CPS SS v.3, Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO.
sus_4

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby fieldflower » 10 May 2019, 20:08

I usually just use the Song list function to organize the sounds I need in band situation, plus a handful "songs" to organize my go-to organ, 2 manual organ, piano, epiano, etc sounds.

However the samples I just had to organize.
So I first organized them so all wind stuff is in one bunch, all string stuff in one bunch, voice, synth, etc.
And then I made super-small samples that I named "-----WIND-----", "-----STRINGS-----", etc that I put as headers for each section so it's easy to find the starters when quickly scrolling through the list.
I'm really happy with this solution - I can find my way quickly in the list now.
fieldflower
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby Mipendorf » 10 May 2019, 21:01

Thanks everyone. These are great suggestions - and are similar to how I was envisioning doing it. I'm glad I wasn't barking up the wrong tree. I looked at Bandhelper, but I like the idea of trying to work with the keyboard itself first.

Enjoy the day,
M
Mipendorf

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby Stokely » 17 May 2019, 17:49

For my current band, there aren't really many song-specific patches--I do have a couple on my other keyboard, but so far I've been keeping the electro pretty simple. To the point where I've only put my main ones into the live sets so far. One b3 patch and I tweak as needed for a song.

Eventually this will likely change, especially for one-keyboard quicker gigs where I might need more splits/layers to cover all our tunes.
Stokely

Postby clinkmd » 20 May 2019, 01:18

One thing I miss about my old NE2 is the simplicity compared to my NE5.

I use a basic set of sounds (Hammond, Rhodes, Wurli, Clavi, and acoustic piano when I don't use a Yamaha P105) and have "songs" set up for tunes that use splits or multiple sounds. I keep the basic sounds in one or two "songs" (ABCD) in the set list function so that I can quickly find them. I line up the specific songs in order for the tunes that require something different.

I'm not crazy about how this works. When I wasn't given an updated set list recently, I was frantically scrolling through to find the right patches a couple of times. I certainly would appreciate any suggestions to make this more workable.
clinkmd

Postby CountFosco » 20 May 2019, 09:13

I ended up with 2 strategies on my E5d for handling programs.

For my originals band, I use one bank of presets (bank 5) on my E5d, with one program per song, in alphabetical order by song name. This way the organs, EPs, effects etc are set up just how I want them without having to mess around. I also include the patch number for any A1 synth patches at the end of the program name (because the A1 only uses numbers, not names, for programs). For this band I have some programs with splits, but I don't need to change programs during any songs, so this strategy works fine. When I'm feeling particularly anal, I reorder the programs to match the order of our set, but recently I stopped bothering with that, because these guys are tardy enough between songs that I always have time to scroll.

For the funk cover band, I use E5's setlist function. This has been brilliant, because in this band I'm often switching between programs mid song. I set up a bunch of standard programs and some song specific ones in bank 6, and refer to them using setlist. One setlist has all songs in alphabetical order for rehearsing, and before most gigs I set up another setlist in set order, cos these guys are snappy between songs. The only thing that really bugs me about setlist on the E5d is I can't see the drawbar settings in the OLED disply unless I move a drawbar.
CountFosco

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Lead A1

Next

Return to Nord Electro Forum