Nord's classical Virtual Analog Synth Nord LEAD 1/2/2x/3/4/A1 and Nord Rack versions

External keyboard ideas for Lead A1?

Postby kelpchofs » 08 May 2019, 20:12

Potential A1 buyer here.

I'm reading that the A1 is four-part, but only one split is available. So from the local keyboard, it's really two+two part. However, all four parts can be accessed separately externally. Is anyone using an external keyboard to get access to all four parts individually in a live setting? I imagine this would have to be done using DIN MIDI (vs. USB).

Experiences? Recommendations?

Thanks!
kelpchofs

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Lead A1

External keyboard ideas for Lead A1?

Sponsor

Re: External keyboard ideas for Lead A1?

Postby artofmoog » 10 May 2019, 15:44

Working as you describe here. Our band's setup has multiple A1Rs driven from Novation Impulse 61 controller keyboards. We previously had a Nektar Panorama P6 and Novation Remote SL 61 (like AdamStage2) in there too. All these models allow for multiple keyboard zones with independent MIDI channels and octave transpositions. As I understand it, too, an A1 keyboard (as opposed to an A1R) can be used so that its built in keyboard plays any enabled slots while incoming MIDI, suitably channelised, will play the un-enabled slots. So it can become a really flexible double-manual thing.

As an aside, the four part with-effect architecture of the A1 is one of the things I like about it the most. Massively more flexible than just bi-timbral, but without being unwieldy (like I remember the Virus TI I once owned could be).

The author artofmoog was thanked by:
kelpchofs
artofmoog

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 3

Return to Nord Lead / Rack Forum