Everything about the Nord Electro 2, Electro 3, Electro 4, Electro 5, and Nord Electro 6.

Nord Electro 6 Program Changes - Sending

Postby gripmusiccanada » 22 Apr 2019, 05:05

Does anyone know how to define the specific program change (MSB/LSB/PC) data that is sent TO an external keyboard when a sound is selected on the NE6? (NE6 as a master)
I can't find the page in the sound edit menu (or anywhere else).
Thanks very much.
gripmusiccanada

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Nord Electro 6 Program Changes - Sending

Sponsor

Re: Nord Electro 6 Program Changes - Sending

Postby Mr_-G- » 22 Apr 2019, 13:13

No idea in the NE6, but just in case it helps, in the NS2 the formula is (PAGE-1)*5+(Program-1)
You can investigate a bit using a MIDI monitor program (there are several free ones for Mac, PC and linux).

The author Mr_-G- was thanked by:
gripmusiccanada
Mr_-G-

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby gripmusiccanada » 22 Apr 2019, 14:57

Thanks very much for the reply. Fortunately, it appears that the documentation is okay for the incoming midi data being sent to the NE6. However, there is no documentation related to the outgoing midi data from the NE6 to another keyboard that requires its program to be changed when the NE6 is changed. I'd like to avoid having to bring an ipad/iphone to just to change sounds when this functionality is very basic and was in my DX7!!
The default appears to be just the internal midi program address for the internal sound. This is useless to an external keyboard.
gripmusiccanada

Postby anotherscott » 22 Apr 2019, 16:03

gripmusiccanada wrote:the documentation is okay for the incoming midi data being sent to the NE6. However, there is no documentation related to the outgoing midi data from the NE6 to another keyboard that requires its program to be changed when the NE6 is changed.

As I believe you have determined, the two are the same. The MIDI data needed to select a Nord program from an external source is identical to the MIDI data the Nord can send out when selecting that program.

gripmusiccanada wrote:The default appears to be just the internal midi program address for the internal sound. This is useless to an external keyboard.

Useless would be if it didn't send any Program Change at all. ;-) But true, the Electro is not designed to function as a master controller, and does not provide a way to send a user-definable Program change as part of its own programs. You have to arrange programs on the receiving end to be in the correct order, so that you'll get the external sound you want when you call up a given program. Nord does make a keyboard with master controller features, that's one of the reasons to buy a Stage instead of an Electro.

Nord is by no means unique here. There are lots of keyboards that don't provide ways to send user-definable Program changes with their programs.

The author anotherscott was thanked by 2 members, including:
pablomastodongripmusiccanada
anotherscott

Postby Yokey » 03 May 2019, 15:27

Well, maybe not a great master controller, but you can read the outgoing MIDI code of each knob or action by installing a MIDI monitor on your computer, e.g. MIDI-OX and use it for external devices! I have an Electro 5 and I am not quite familiar with the NE6, but every controller has a MIDI control number assigned to it, and for some functions a bank. Within a program setting, you cannot alter the outgoing Program number in the Nord, but you could use a hardware or software MIDI mapper for that purpose. The NE5 has a setlist function, which is a great help for gigs. I use this for my settings per song and I use the outgoing MIDI signal and hardware mapper to automatically select the suitable program from my Yamaha piano. I read that the NE6 doesn't have a setlist function, but you could use the programs in the same way.
Yokey

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby vibescribe » 12 Jul 2019, 19:06

Sorry if this has been covered but I can't find the solution. I would like to find a way of using my Roland FA06 & Nord Electro 5 where I can select a patch on one that also changes the other. I'm hoping that it can be done with using additional hardware? It looks to me that the FA has more editable midi parameters but I can't get it to change patches on the Nord, I have the Bank select BSB and LSB settings but had no joy. Would welcome any help
vibescribe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby baekgaard » 12 Jul 2019, 19:28

vibescribe: Do you have a computer that you could connect and use to see what midi messages are being sent? As pr. the thread above, your NE5 sends out the same messages as it expects to get back -- you then need to work out FA6 to send those to the NE5. You can use a midi monitor on a computer to see both what the NE5 sends (and needs) and what you get the FA6 to send.
baekgaard

Postby anotherscott » 12 Jul 2019, 22:04

vibescribe wrote:Sorry if this has been covered but I can't find the solution. I would like to find a way of using my Roland FA06 & Nord Electro 5 where I can select a patch on one that also changes the other. I'm hoping that it can be done with using additional hardware? It looks to me that the FA has more editable midi parameters but I can't get it to change patches on the Nord, I have the Bank select BSB and LSB settings but had no joy. Would welcome any help

Do you have Roland's 2.0 update for the FA installed? Page 3 of the notes for the update has the "Using the FA as a Master Keyboard" section which covers the function you need to use on the Roland. Other than that, cable ROLAND MIDI OUT to NORD MIDI IN, make sure you're sending on the Nord's MIDI channel, and use the Nord's required MSB/LSB/PC numbers (which you say you have), that should be what you need.

SInce you have an Electro 5, you might want to start a new thread if you still need help, since this thread is more likely to be seen by people with an Electro 6.

The author anotherscott was thanked by:
vibescribe
anotherscott

Postby vibescribe » 15 Jul 2019, 22:45

baekgaard wrote:vibescribe: Do you have a computer that you could connect and use to see what midi messages are being sent? As pr. the thread above, your NE5 sends out the same messages as it expects to get back -- you then need to work out FA6 to send those to the NE5. You can use a midi monitor on a computer to see both what the NE5 sends (and needs) and what you get the FA6 to send.

Thanks a lot sir, I will give it a go
vibescribe

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Wave 2

Return to Nord Electro Forum