General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

Weird NS3 Song sorting behavior

Postby ericL » 02 May 2019, 14:39

I've looked through the "known issues and bugs" thread as well as doing some other searches on the forum and this may be a new one. I am still trying some things to recreate this, but am seeing nearly the same behavior each time I organize my NS3 Songs for my next performance and it has to do with at least one Song always reverting back to its original spot after being moved.

Here's what I'm seeing. I usually like to have my very first Song in the list as a kind of basic piano/organ type set of sounds so if I need the basics, I can just spin the knob all the way to the first sound and have this ready. So I always try to load this Song up front and have one I call "Eric Piano Organ" that should sit right up at the top.

As I'm organizing sounds for each gig, I use the organize/move feature in the Songlist to move various sounds into new places. What I see is that all of a sudden the Eric Piano sound vanishes from the first slot and falls back further down in the list. Then I move it back up and it will fall off again. This is also true of other sounds. Seems to be focused on the very first Song slot, which is volatile. I'll see a few things like this as I'm setting things up in advance at home and then when I get to the gig, it will have changed again. Very odd behavior.

There was one example where someone else experienced random re-ordering of Songs and this is similar. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks.
Nords: NE2, NS2 88, NS3 Compact x 2
Live rig: NS3, Vent, Radial KL-8, Shure PSM-900 IEM Rig, UE18 & UE7 IEMs.
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Weird NS3 Song sorting behavior

Sponsor

Re: Weird NS3 Song sorting behavior

Postby RichardG » 02 May 2019, 16:07

ericL wrote:There was one example where someone else experienced random re-ordering of Songs and this is similar. Has anyone else encountered this?

Did you mean me ?
I had struggles with (re)ordering but wasn't able to reproduce it back then.
It seemed to me that sometimes the sort-order would flip from ascending to descending or vice versa.
So instead of moving a song to the front it went to the back.
Somehow the program-knob doesn't feel intuitive with what I'm doing or rather want to do.
(I have a similar issue with the delay, I'm used with other delays that turning right slows it down, but on NS3 it gets faster)

Now I leave everything in order and use BandHelper to organize my setlists.
Much easier to do if I only want to move things around.
It's an extra piece of gear (tablet) bit could even use my cellphone as a backup.

If you know how to reliably recreate this I (and others) can try too.
The following statement is not true. The previous statement is true.

The author RichardG was thanked by:
ericL
RichardG

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4

Postby baekgaard » 02 May 2019, 18:37

Just checking: Are you at the latest release? A bug in the ordering was present in a previous release, but was fixed somewhere around 1.42, as far as I remember.

But as @RichardG says, if you can find a way to reliably reproduce this, it will help in reproducing and narrowing down the issue (and eventually have it fixed).
Last edited by baekgaard on 02 May 2019, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

The author baekgaard was thanked by 2 members, including:
ericLanalogika
baekgaard

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 6

Postby ericL » 02 May 2019, 20:59

baekgaard wrote:Just checking: Are you at the latest release? A bug in the ordering was present in a previous release, but was fixed somewhere around 1.42, as far as I remember.

But as @RichardG says, if you can find a way to reliably reproduce this, it will help in reproducing and narrowing down the issue (and eventually have it fixed).

Yes, I am on the current OS and this has been seen in current and the one just before it. I will work on a very clear step by step recreation of it. What's odd is it seems to not happen instantaneously or maybe it's just not obvious to me immediately until I scroll back to the top of the Song list. I feel like the sort feature works a bit more reliably in Programs vs. Songs. I also miss Pending Load, but that's another topic. :wave:
Studio: Hammond A-101 & Leslie 122, Yamaha CP-80, Yamaha S90, NS2, DSI Prophet-6, Vent II, Roland JX-8P.
ericL
Patch Creator

Postby ericL » 22 May 2019, 04:59

I believe I've discovered how to replicate (and avoid this) but it still seems like a bug. Can someone else try this? I do this action a lot coming from the NS2 where I would use Pending Load and would quickly spin the Program selector knob to go quickly from the top to the bottom of the order.

When in Organize mode for Songs, I'm looking through the list for the next Song I want to Move into a new spot in the list. If I select a Song and hit Move, then quickly spin the knob up to the very top, the Song that was loaded in the first slot moves back to another place in the list. This seems to be solely tied to the NS3 believing that I'm moving something up to the top when I'm still just looking for its actual spot. I'll try to do a video soon.
ericL
Patch Creator

Return to Nord Stage Forum