All topics involving amplification and other accessories you are using with your Nord, and how all those things work together.

Active monitor...

Postby leonardo 1 » 17 Apr 2019, 00:19

Does anyone use two decent small and cheap active monitors? I can't afford two qsc K2 8 ... or other expensive brands. Until now I only used one monitor, but now I can't play with one anymore .. I need stereo listening. So I was thinking of small, comfortable, lightweight and cheap compact monitors that sound decent .. I will certainly have to take a mixer too. Which do you recommend? Graxie for your advice !!
leonardo 1

Active monitor...

Sponsor

Re: Active monitor...

Postby maxpiano » 17 Apr 2019, 08:03

Behringer B208D, good value for the price, small, light and sounding well (more than enough to be used as monitors in a live situation, but also as main speakers in small venues such as solo/acoustic or duo).
Last edited by maxpiano on 17 Apr 2019, 08:42, edited 2 times in total.

The author maxpiano was thanked by 2 members, including:
lukasztleonardo 1
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3

Postby JayDee » 17 Apr 2019, 08:32

The Alto 10" powered monitors https://www.altoproaudio.com/products/tx210 can be had for about $169 ea in the US and are decent considering the price. Yamaha DBR 10's can be had for a little more and IMO would be better.
Last edited by JayDee on 17 Apr 2019, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.

The author JayDee was thanked by:
leonardo 1
JayDee

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 5

Postby MvanD » 17 Apr 2019, 09:34

I use Behringer Eurolive B205D. Does the job. Because I play with two keyboards, I have them connected (using balanced cables to eliminate hum from the theatre lights) to my own stage mixer.
IMG_1500.jpeg
IMG_1500.jpeg (313.5 KiB) Viewed 3404 times

The author MvanD was thanked by:
leonardo 1
MvanD
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 5

Postby Leo Castro » 17 Apr 2019, 22:03

Alto TS210. I have 2, sound really good.
Nord Stage 2 - Roland Juno G - Moog MG-1 - Alesis Vortex 2 - Yamaha DX7llD
Leo Castro
Patch Creator

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2

Postby cphollis » 18 Apr 2019, 05:04

Or maybe consider ambient in-ear monitors? Not everyone's cup of tea, but ~$300 can buy you some amazing sonic bliss, as well as attenuate the chaos around you.

Funny story? I used a nice pair of ambient in-ear monitors for a while. I had to stop for a silly reason. During gigs, the sound quality was so good I went from "performance mode" to "sit back and listen mode" and ended up regularly missing stage cues and similar. Band members asked me to stop using them.

They're that good.
I think I have gear issues ....
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby maxpiano » 18 Apr 2019, 08:07

cphollis wrote:Or maybe consider ambient in-ear monitors? Not everyone's cup of tea, but ~$300 can buy you some amazing sonic bliss, as well as attenuate the chaos around you.

Funny story? I used a nice pair of ambient in-ear monitors for a while. I had to stop for a silly reason. During gigs, the sound quality was so good I went from "performance mode" to "sit back and listen mode" and ended up regularly missing stage cues and similar. Band members asked me to stop using them.

They're that good.

IEM are good if all members of the band use them, imho, otherwise you will isolate yourself from the rest of the band and listen to something different compared to what the band is actually sounding like (at least on stage, not FOH)
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Postby cphollis » 18 Apr 2019, 15:01

That's why I mentioned "ambient" IEMs. They attenuate outside sound by 20 dB or so, enough to hear what's going on around you, but not overly so. You can have a conversation with them still in your ears, yet not be bothered by crashing drums, searing guitars and the like. I can use them regardless of what the other musos choose to do.

If you haven't tried them, they're certainly an interesting option if you're looking for lower-cost, high-fidelity stereo stage monitoring.
I think I have gear issues ....

The author cphollis was thanked by:
maxpiano
cphollis

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 4
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Piano 5

Postby sus_4 » 18 Apr 2019, 15:24

I concur with cphollis... I've been using Westone's Pro 20 ambient IEMs for about a year now. They stay in my ears for the entire gig. I can hear the stage mix, stage cues, (and bar conversations) without removing them between sets. As an added bonus, my vocals have improved since using IEMs due to having a cleaner, more direct vocal monitor.
Nord Stage 3 SW73, Nord Electro 2 61, Behringer Model D, Studiologic SL88, Roli Seaboard Rise/Block, Korg Monologue, Yamaha Reface CP/DX, Lounsberry Tall & Fat / Organ Grinder, Neo Instruments Vent, CPS SS v.3, Behringer Eurolive B1200D-PRO.
sus_4

Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Electro 2

Postby maxpiano » 18 Apr 2019, 15:28

cphollis wrote:That's why I mentioned "ambient" IEMs. They attenuate outside sound by 20 dB or so, enough to hear what's going on around you, but not overly so. You can have a conversation with them still in your ears, yet not be bothered by crashing drums, searing guitars and the like. I can use them regardless of what the other musos choose to do.

If you haven't tried them, they're certainly an interesting option if you're looking for lower-cost, high-fidelity stereo stage monitoring.

I wasn't aware of that type of IEMs. Learned something new today, thanks cphollis :)
Last edited by maxpiano on 18 Apr 2019, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
maxpiano
Patch Creator

Next

Return to Accessories and Amplification