General Discussion of the Nord Stage (EX), Nord Stage 2 (EX), Nord Stage 3, and Nord Stage 4 Synths, FAQ, Troubleshooting etc.

MONO sound help, request, query

Postby FlametopFred » 16 Apr 2019, 23:14

Hi, the Nord does a great job making live sound easy by including an easy function to make PIANO sounds come out mono.

But so far, as far as I know, there is no way to do the same with the ORGAN sounds.

Here's what happens: I play a small club and the soundman puts my stereo signal through a DI box that then goes as MONO to the soundboard. What I hear back over the PA is a chopping sound, a sound that is not good. I know this can be from the Leslie simulator. Even if I just take the Left out of the Nord, that's still one half of the stereo image and does not sound good through the PA. Sounds choppy.

So, is there an upgrade Nord can make to the Stage that addresses this? that is, makes the Organ sound via Rotary Speaker come out "mono" without the chopping?
FlametopFred

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage EX

MONO sound help, request, query

Sponsor

Re: MONO sound help, request, query

Postby analogika » 16 Apr 2019, 23:21

The trick is to have something plugged into BOTH outputs, but only use ONE of them.

Just using the left/mono output or using the „mono“ Button will still sum both channels of the Leslie, which gives that annoying chopping, because when you have a mono Leslie, you only use ONE mic on the horn, but summing to mono still gives you two mics in a single channel, which gives an annoying “double hump”.

I wish Clavia could find a way to fix this, at some point...
The Nord giveth; the Nord taketh away…
"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement“ (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)
The Drawbars — off jazz organ trio
analogika

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Electro 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 3

Postby leonardo 1 » 17 Apr 2019, 00:08

Hi ... I wanted to say that in mono also the acoustic pianos are very ugly ... I would like a piano sample that sounds good even in mono ... Unfortunately I can't always bring two monitors
leonardo 1

Postby Music*aL » 17 Apr 2019, 01:45

For Piano, I use Digital Grand 1. I use the Soft setting, and eq it to my taste. Works very well in mono. It lacks much of the detail and dynamics but sound wise I found it to be the best way to play a mono piano live without sounding terrible!

I'll have to try the inert plug trick tonight at rehearsal.

HTH,

aL
Music*aL

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 3
Your Nord Gear #2: Nord Stage 2

Postby Falcon2e » 17 Apr 2019, 02:46

I’m playing the NS2, not sure what model you have. For live setup I just send the right channel to the sound guy, I don’t select mono on the panel. This works great for me.
Last edited by Falcon2e on 17 Apr 2019, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.
Falcon2e

Your Nord Gear #1: Nord Stage 2
Your Nord Gear #2: Other Brand

Return to Nord Stage Forum